View Full Version : Moving from AZ to CA...shoot me straight

10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I've heard talk of my right to legally bring handguns with me that are not on the roster, and either register or transfer them within 60 days. Can anyone please point me towards the specific written law that backs this up? Are there any specific cases where this right has been denied?

And part II of this question is, can a deal be made legally between myself and a California resident BEFORE I establish California residency? Not the actual transfer, just an agreement. Thanks for your help.

10-24-2007, 11:13 AM
If you make an agreement, "take orders", etc, then you are engaging in the firearms business, and that requires an FFL. I wouldn't do it. Nothing stops you from making buying decisions based on the list before you move though.

10-24-2007, 11:15 AM

10-24-2007, 11:27 AM
FNP-45s are nice pistols. Taurus 1911, Kel-Tecs, etc. You should buy as many non-roster guns as possible before you move to California. You don't need to sell them and probably shouldn't. You can just be the range king. Don't stock up for the purpose of selling. Stock up so that you can have cool guns. Also be sure to leave your hi-caps behind.

If in a year or two you are short on money, or want something else, you can always trade them, or sell them.

10-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Don't worry about what people will buy off of you, worry about what you'll want, because once you move here you it's hard to get handguns that aren't on the list. Guns that were never available for sale in CA are the hardest to get, of course - there aren't any that could possibly be in PPT circulation except for LEO and move-to-CA guns. I'd concentrate on those, if I was moving to CA, because not getting one beforehand pretty much makes it impossible. Buy what you want, though. If you ever find yourself strapped for cash in the future, anything that isn't on the list should be easy to sell (but then they'll be hard to replace!).

Do yourself a favor and don't illegally import handguns for sale!

10-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I would recommend disassembling your full capacity mags, as opposed to leaving them behind. You never know if future acquisition will get banned.

10-24-2007, 3:50 PM
There's nothing to stop a private individual from bringing in a handgun they think they might later want to sell. Let's say you bring in a Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm, and you move to the bay area, and later decide to sell it, I know I'd like to have a crack at it. There's nothing illegal about that.

10-24-2007, 4:03 PM
There's nothing to stop a private individual from bringing in a handgun they think they might later want to sell.

I would bring in as many as I could afford and if finances required it I would sell them.

Don't let anyone scare you into NOT buying and bringing in handguns you think you might be able to sell. It's perfectly legal. And YES I would bring in guns that never made the list.

10-24-2007, 5:20 PM
not to mention 1911 (Caspian, STI, etc.) frames, AR, AK and HK pistol lower receivers, cobrays, Matebas, no-lock S&Ws, P3AT Kel-Tecs, etc, etc, etc...

Avoid LISTED assault weapons, check for what you can do with assault weapons by features, disassemble hi-caps.

You'll fill out this form when you get here, for pistols.

Lots of people here wish they could get a bunch of non-roster handguns. You're lucky you'll have the chance.

10-25-2007, 7:39 AM
If you insist. Would you like a blindfold?

10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
dude, stay where you are