PDA

View Full Version : Guided Hunts: who's done them?

chico.cm
10-24-2007, 12:04 PM
I am trying to prepare financially to go on a guided elk hunt in the next year and would like some real world advice on costs and logistics.
I have no idea how much to budget for meat processing, taxidermy, shipping of meat and mounts, travel to and from logistics, etc.
Also, any specific info on Idaho Elk guides would help as well.
I am considering using Boulder Creek Outfitters (http://www.bouldercreekoutfitters.com/main.html), since I have seen them recommended by Buckmasters and others on Outdoor Channel.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Pat

Hunter
10-24-2007, 12:47 PM
I am trying to prepare financially to go on a guided elk hunt in the next year and would like some real world advice on costs and logistics.
I have no idea how much to budget for meat processing, taxidermy, shipping of meat and mounts, travel to and from logistics, etc.
Also, any specific info on Idaho Elk guides would help as well.
I am considering using Boulder Creek Outfitters (http://www.bouldercreekoutfitters.com/main.html), since I have seen them recommended by Buckmasters and others on Outdoor Channel.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Pat

Meat processing runs $.50-$75/lb. Then figure another $.40/lb to ship via FedEx or UPS.
Head mount can be $600 with another $100 for shipping. Or you can just have the green caped hide shipped home and have a local taxidermist handle it for you here. If that is the case, you can ship the hide for about $40.

Gunaria
10-24-2007, 1:04 PM
I would budget a total of $9K. Some of it will depend on if you want a trophy bull elk or non-trophy. How many days are out spent out in the field. Out of state license and tag fees. Tips. No I haven't done a guided hunt but have talk to some outfitters about them. One place in Utah wanted $4500 a couple of years ago. That was just for a non-trophy bull elk. That's where I came up with $9K, cost of hunt times 2.

pieeater
10-24-2007, 5:43 PM
Dont go off of what you see on the outdoor channel, been there done that. One of the worse hunts of my life. Those guys get the red carpet treatment because of the advertisement.

chico.cm
10-24-2007, 9:53 PM
Thanks ya'll. I gotta start some serious saving, but guns...they call to me!