PDA

View Full Version : Out Of State Transfer

scout II
10-24-2007, 7:44 AM
Hello.Does anyone know if I can buy a handgun out of state from a non FFL,and have it tranfered to me here through an FFL if the gun is not on the California approved list?I thought if you buy a gun from non FFL,out of state,it is just like a PPT.:confused:

paul0660
10-24-2007, 8:36 AM
You are importing it for sale, so it has to be on the list.

Kruzr
10-24-2007, 8:50 AM
A PPT is a face-to-face transfer between two residents of the state. Anything else is a dealer sale.

ohsmily
10-24-2007, 9:06 AM
I thought if you buy a gun from non FFL,out of state,it is just like a PPT.:confused:

You thought wrong. When coming from out of state, it is an out of state dealer transfer, regardless of who you bought the gun from.

dfletcher
10-24-2007, 10:11 AM
A family member - out of state - could send a non - rostered handgun to you through a dealer. Not sure if it has to be Mom or Dad or if brother/sister apply. There's a possibility.

1064chubbs
10-24-2007, 12:30 PM
A family member - out of state - could send a non - rostered handgun to you through a dealer. Not sure if it has to be Mom or Dad or if brother/sister apply. There's a possibility.

The family member has to be up and down the family tree and cant be brother to brother ie: son to father or father to son is ok.

99sparks
10-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Ok. So how do I deal with this? I have two CA registered guns. I have residence in two states. So while residing in my other state I purchase, for example, 3 guns in one day and take delivery the same day. At a later time I put them in my car and drive back to CA. How do I register them? Or if I go the other way how do I unregistered them from CA?

aplinker
10-24-2007, 5:03 PM
For coming here, there's a form from the DOJ for voluntary registration. You'll pay $19 EACH.

Here's the form.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

AfisBoy
10-24-2007, 11:40 PM
An out of state parent can buy a non-listed pistol and transfer it to you? Like an STI 1911 double stack :eek: They're not on the list right?

AfisBoy
10-26-2007, 12:16 AM
bump

dfletcher
10-26-2007, 8:54 AM
I believe it is accurate to state the affirmative on each - that if you legally purchase a non - rostered handgun in another state you may self register having returned to California; and that a parent although out of state may purchase and subsequently transfer to you, having gone through a CA FFL, a non - rostered handgun.

Hmm. The effects of yesterday's deposition are just starting to wear off .........

ruey220
11-14-2007, 8:34 AM
how about if you purchased on your own a pistol from another state and owned it in your possession while in that state, then decide to bring it to California and DROS it here yourself, is that legal?
If so, would it need to be on the list?

Librarian
11-14-2007, 10:47 AM
how about if you purchased on your own a pistol from another state and owned it in your possession while in that state, then decide to bring it to California and DROS it here yourself, is that legal?
If so, would it need to be on the list?

Let me restate what I think you wrote:

You live in, say, Nevada, and bought a pistol there.

Later you move to California.

If that's the case, you are a personal handgun importer, you have 60 days to file this PDF form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) with the state + $19 for each handgun, and the Roster does not apply.

(and I hope this is not a duplicate reply - things have been slow at my house for the last 24 hours, and I'm not sure what the problem is.)

CSDGuy
11-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Let me restate what I think you wrote:
You live in, say, Nevada, and bought a pistol there.

Later you move to California.If that's the case, you are a personal handgun importer, you have 60 days to file this PDF form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) with the state + $19 for each handgun, and the Roster does not apply.

(and I hope this is not a duplicate reply - things have been slow at my house for the last 24 hours, and I'm not sure what the problem is.)

This would also apply if you really are also a resident of another state. As long as you're a legal resident of the other state, you may purchase firearms there just like any other legal state resident. Once you return, handguns may be registered to you via the form above. However, this all hinges upon whether or not the BATFE consider you a legal resident of the other state...

CACitUP
11-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Ok. So how do I deal with this? I have two CA registered guns. I have residence in two states. So while residing in my other state I purchase, for example, 3 guns in one day and take delivery the same day. At a later time I put them in my car and drive back to CA. How do I register them? Or if I go the other way how do I unregistered them from CA?

where do you pay taxes? Thats where you are a resident.

bwiese
11-14-2007, 2:12 PM
where do you pay taxes? Thats where you are a resident.

Oooh, not necessarily. Best to be overcautious and follow BATF residency guidelines (I don't have all the details at hand).

Just because you have a house & DL somewhere else doesn't mean you have 'residency' there if you just pop over to your Tahoe cabin for a ski weekend.

ruey220
11-14-2007, 9:38 PM
Oooh, not necessarily. Best to be overcautious and follow BATF residency guidelines (I don't have all the details at hand).

Just because you have a house & DL somewhere else doesn't mean you have 'residency' there if you just pop over to your Tahoe cabin for a ski weekend.

this is strange indeed...i have a fellow who had a residency in Idaho, and claims he legally owns the pistol in his house in Idaho, but lives and runs his business in S. California. He told me he can legally bring the pistol to California, and register it in California, to be PPT to me here. Would that be possible?

I also read from another thread, that it was in fact possible for someone to have another vacation home in lets say Nevada, buy pistols for their home in Nevada, then later bring it to California to be DROS'd.