PDA

View Full Version : Comcast bans firearm and ammo commercials

rdfact
03-22-2013, 12:50 PM
This news article says LAFAYETTE, Ind - not sure if they ban they elsewhere.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/03/22/comcast-gun-ads/2009717/

Lexicon Devil
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
But they'll broadcast any action/horror/insert genre here ________ that shows people getting shot, cut up, beaten up, raped, etc. Ridiculously stupid.

rootuser
03-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Totally within their rights. Good for them using their choice. We have a national ban on cigarette and alcohol advertising on TV. You can still buy both of them, and both of them kill people. And in the case of DUI related deaths, it's about the same number as gun related murders. Comcast has the right to take advertisers they want or don't want. 1A prevails, 2A is not threatened by Comcast choosing not to take advertisements.

Diablohtr
03-22-2013, 1:02 PM
And totally within an individuals rights not to do business with them as a result.

Nor*Cal
03-22-2013, 1:03 PM
Well, I banned (overpriced) Comcast years ago so I guess I can't say much about them banning firearms and ammo commercials.

Hope they have some fallout from this decision.

malfunction
03-22-2013, 1:04 PM
We have a national ban on cigarette and alcohol advertising on TV.
I see plenty of alcohol advertising on my local cable channels and they seem to think it's OK to advertise erectile dysfunction meds to my pre-teen children early in the evening.

But, after finding out yesterday that Comcast donate to Sen. Yee this will be my last month as a customer of theirs anyway...

wurger
03-22-2013, 1:13 PM
If Comcast is really going to take a stand, they shouldn't broadcast any content that portrays any type of gun violence. But I guess that would cost them a lot more money... Hypocrites.

Davidwhitewolf
03-22-2013, 2:44 PM
I wondered about this one. The article indicates that it is Comcast Spotlight doing the banning. Now, on my Comcast/Xfinity cable box, there's a Comcast Spotlight menu item that I frankly have never bothered looking at.

There are still plenty of ads for ammo, handguns, rifles, and shotguns airing on my Comcast-fed cable system: just this week I saw 'em in between segments of MidwayUSA's The Best Defense, Michael Bane's The Best Defense: Survival, American Shooter, and American Rifleman.

Perhaps this "decision" is an empty one that only applies to advertising purchased with Comcast itself, rather than advertising purchased to air on specific networks (Outdoor Channel, Outdoor Life Network, etc.) and specific shows such as the above?

rootuser
03-22-2013, 3:03 PM
I see plenty of alcohol advertising on my local cable channels and they seem to think it's OK to advertise erectile dysfunction meds to my pre-teen children early in the evening.

But, after finding out yesterday that Comcast donate to Sen. Yee this will be my last month as a customer of theirs anyway...

You sir are correct. The ban (self imposed btw) on hard alcohol advertisement actually has been removed. I should have said we have HAD a ban, not we do have a ban. As for the ED advertisements, again, if Comcast wants to take those ads, so be it.

You can drop Comcast (as you have done) and vote with your wallet!

Tyrone
03-22-2013, 3:12 PM
It IS totally within their rights but that does not mean their stance is not hypocritical. Ads that merely display guns/ammo for sale or places where such products can be bought do not harm anyone. However, if one thinks that such an ad is harmful or receiving money for placement of an ad is "blood money" then one would be hard pressed to present a straight faced argument that showing "use" of such guns/ammo in an "illegal" fashion and glorifying such illegal use is not blood money or does not do more to harm society than ads for purchase. To be clear, I don't have a problem with movies/tv shows depicting violence or illegal use of guns in those movies/shows or private companies exercising their rights to pick and choose what commercials / movies / tv shows they run. However, that does not mean that we can not or should not call a spade a spade. Such a stance by Comcast is wildly hypocritical. In fact, if they attempted to do the same in California, I'm not so sure it would be legal given laws like the Unruh Civil Rights Act which protects against discrimination in public accomodations, business, and services to not only immutable characteristics such as race and religion but also personal beliefs and exercise of Constitutional Rights. In CA, even when private, one ends up having to show that a basis for discrimination is central to your operation. The Boy Scouts are a private organization and still fight regarding their rule against homosexuals as members or leaders. MY POINT IS NOT WHETHER THE BOY SCOUT STANCE IS RIGHT but that private property/business rights have been eroded sufficiently in CA that Comcast may not legally be able to so discriminate against those exercising or facilitating exercise of constitutional rights.

BigPimping
03-22-2013, 3:19 PM
I dumped them years ago, their service just sucks. DirecTV all the way.

BretByron
03-22-2013, 3:26 PM
Comcast gave Yee Moneys.
Glad they are not my provider!
http://www.followthemoney.org/databa....phtml?c=80473

JDay
03-22-2013, 3:32 PM
We have a national ban on cigarette and alcohol advertising on TV.

There's no ban on alcohol advertising on TV, I see adds for beer/liquor all the time.

jorgyusa
03-22-2013, 4:00 PM
I wondered about this one. The article indicates that it is Comcast Spotlight doing the banning. Now, on my Comcast/Xfinity cable box, there's a Comcast Spotlight menu item that I frankly have never bothered looking at.

There are still plenty of ads for ammo, handguns, rifles, and shotguns airing on my Comcast-fed cable system: just this week I saw 'em in between segments of MidwayUSA's The Best Defense, Michael Bane's The Best Defense: Survival, American Shooter, and American Rifleman.

Perhaps this "decision" is an empty one that only applies to advertising purchased with Comcast itself, rather than advertising purchased to air on specific networks (Outdoor Channel, Outdoor Life Network, etc.) and specific shows such as the above?

I agree it makes no sense. Look at this announcement made yesterday:
http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/newsandevents/pressroom/news.php?ID=801
Lots of shooting programs on this channel with ads for firearm stuff.
NRA news is on at 2pm on the channel as well. Something just doesn't seem right about this story.

maddoggie13
03-22-2013, 4:25 PM
I banned comcast more than 10 years ago.

advocatusdiaboli
03-22-2013, 4:57 PM
I banned Comcast from all but the one thing only they provide in my area—internet access. And it sucks, but we need internet access in my family.

paul0660
03-22-2013, 5:13 PM
I banned Comcast from all but the one thing only they provide in my area—internet access. And it sucks, but we need internet access in my family.

Do you have a library card?

waffmaster
03-25-2013, 7:23 PM
For unrelated reasons ( mediocre service ) I stopped doing business with Comcast long time ago.

epilepticninja
03-25-2013, 7:41 PM
Well, I banned (overpriced) Comcast years ago so I guess I can't say much about them banning firearms and ammo commercials.

Hope they have some fallout from this decision.

I've had Comcast for years, but in light of recent events, I'm looking at ****canning them too.

mb_BeachBum
03-25-2013, 8:11 PM
Totally within their rights. Good for them using their choice. We have a national ban on cigarette and alcohol advertising on TV. You can still buy both of them, and both of them kill people. And in the case of DUI related deaths, it's about the same number as gun related murders. Comcast has the right to take advertisers they want or don't want. 1A prevails, 2A is not threatened by Comcast choosing not to take advertisements.

Except that they are a government awarded monopoly for that particular market... :facepalm: