PDA

View Full Version : Long Gun Purchase Question

jojojones
10-23-2007, 8:36 PM
So I tried searching but the feature wasn't working for me so sorry if this has been covered.

I seem to remember that you can purchase multiple long guns at one time but can you buy one, wait ten days, then add another one to the dros on day of pick up? If so then can you site sources and code sections or doj approval of said actions or what have you.

Thanks

Jojo

mecam
10-23-2007, 9:33 PM
Once you pick up your firearm, you can no longer add to that DROS. I think you have 30days on the DROS to add long guns and you can only pick up the guns on the 10th day of the last long gun you added to the DROS.

jojojones
10-23-2007, 9:36 PM
can I add to the DROS before pick up?

mecam
10-23-2007, 9:37 PM
can I add to the DROS before pick up?

Yes, the DROS ends as soon as you pick up the firearm.

CSACANNONEER
10-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Of course, you may not be able to convince the metrosexual at Big5 that this is legal. If you're going to try it there, you'ld better talk with the manager first.

leelaw
10-23-2007, 10:52 PM
I've never run into this situation, so I don't know the answer, however the longgun DROS entry requires that a number of rifles being transferred be entered at the time DROS is run. I don't know if that is an updatable field after the fact.

GUNS4WORK
10-23-2007, 11:13 PM
the doj telemarketer told me that you can't add a gun to a dros that is already started. if they found multiple instances of this it would require an audit. they did say you could say 5 long guns but then cancel what ever you didn't use.

just what i was told....

tenpercentfirearms
10-24-2007, 4:59 AM
the doj telemarketer told me that you can't add a gun to a dros that is already started. if they found multiple instances of this it would require an audit. they did say you could say 5 long guns but then cancel what ever you didn't use.

just what i was told....

I was told the same thing, but there is nothing that says if you make a mistake at DROS you can't cross it out. I have a few times made a mistake and put down 1 gun when the guy wanted three. So I just cross it out and make it a three, if I make a mistake

However, I do believe the 4473 is clear that as soon as the customer leaves the building, their transaction is done and no firearms can be added. I do not let guys come in at the end of their 10 days and add a long gun to their purchase. They will have to start a new DROS. Sorry, that is the way it is.

So make up your mind before they start the DROS. If you are not 100% sure, act like you are, say you want 5 guns, and when you come back, change your mind. Just be sure there is no restocking fee and you know the dealer fairly well.

mecam
10-24-2007, 6:07 AM
It seems that every FFL have their own ways. :) Big 5 are the most stupid ones. :90: