PDA

View Full Version : accurizing a stock 1911

God Bless The Mauser
10-23-2007, 7:05 PM
I have a Springfield GI and want to make it more accurate without a whole bunch of modification. The pistol shoots about 6 inches at 25 yards and I'm hoping to get a little better out of it. It is very reliable, it has about 1200 rounds through it and has never jammed so I'm happy with the reliability I just want more accuracy. Any ideas on what I could do to get it more accurate without changing the look? I found something that pushes up the bottom of the barrel with recoil spring pressure and makes it return to battery the same place every time and I'm thinking that might be good to get. The bushing is loose just slightly and I can remove it with out a bushing wrench so is that normal?

Mute
10-23-2007, 7:50 PM
One thing at a time. I wouldn't screw with anything that pushes up on the barrel. If you do that you might as well just get a new, match grade barrel fitted to your gun.

First, try a match grade bushing. If you can get one to work reliably without much hand fitting, it might surprise you how much it could improve the accuracy. Plus, it's a low cost part. If you're unhappy with it, you can always put the stock one back on. There are plenty more things that can be done, but unless you want to spend the time and money, I'd keep it basic and see if it helps.

Regardless of what you do, make sure you don't compromise reliability.

Bongos
10-23-2007, 7:53 PM
Accuracy is in how well the barrel is fitted, for best accuracy, you should not be able to push down on the barrel hood when gun is in battery (Slide forward), no movement what so ever. If there is movement, you can swap out link to different height until there is not movement at all. Hopefully that will be enough, if not you will have to fit the barrel to the bushing, this is more difficult

SFFRONTMAN
10-23-2007, 7:59 PM
Another thing that might help accuracy would be a better trigger, or trigger job. If your shooting offhand, a nice clean crisp trigger (better than GI) might help to greatly improve your accuracy, or just dry fire practice a lot with you stock trigger if you like it.

God Bless The Mauser
10-23-2007, 8:11 PM
I was shooting TMJ reloads of WCC match brass done by Miwall corp. and they are some of the best shooting .45s I have. I was shooting off hand with both weaver and isosceles stances. I have considered replacing the bushing but can't find any parkerized ones. I also considered getting a match grade barrel but those are fairly expensive. For the fit of the barrel, if I push on the chamber area and busing area it just barely moves which does not help accuracy.

God Bless The Mauser
10-23-2007, 8:15 PM
The trigger pull and break are surprisingly good for a stock gun.

cgmoe
10-24-2007, 4:04 AM
Even if you never intend to do any work to your gun yourself, get this book "The Colt .45 Automatic: A Shop Manual Volume 1" Book by Jerry Kuhnhausen

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=199119&t=11082005

Outlaw
10-24-2007, 7:51 AM
Shoot it off sandbags for group and then report back :)
+1
Get the best group first and then decide what to do.

randy
10-24-2007, 2:56 PM
I was shooting TMJ reloads of WCC match brass done by Miwall corp. and they are some of the best shooting .45s I have. I was shooting off hand with both weaver and isosceles stances. I have considered replacing the bushing but can't find any parkerized ones. I also considered getting a match grade barrel but those are fairly expensive. For the fit of the barrel, if I push on the chamber area and busing area it just barely moves which does not help accuracy.

What you just told us is you have no idea how well the pistol shoots you just want to spend more $$$. That's cool.

God Bless The Mauser
10-24-2007, 4:52 PM
In my original post I said it shoots about 6" and I want to get it shooting tighter groups.

randy
10-24-2007, 5:44 PM
At 25 yards with your favorite pistol and best ammo shooting off hand what is your best group?

God Bless The Mauser
10-24-2007, 7:38 PM
My best group with a handgun at 25 yards was with my dad's single action colt and I got about a 1-2 inch group I recall. I shot the bulls eye out of a target at 15 feet with a glock 17 once I got used to the feel since I'm a 1911 guy. My P-38 will do about 4 inches which is not bad but the 1911 is around 6 inches at best. I am not a bad shot by any means so I know it is not me.