PDA

View Full Version : Question about rifle DROS

savasyn
10-23-2007, 5:13 PM
So when you DROS a rifle, does the DOJ or whoever is (or "isn't") keeping records get more information than that it is a long gun? Do they get make/model/serial number or anything? What were to happen if the serial number(if they have to put them in) were put in wrong into the DROS computer?

Which brings me to this question. If I'm traveling home from the range with my (insert any legally owned rifle or shotgun) and get pulled over and questioned by the cops, can they run the serial numbers and see that they are mine or just that they aren't stolen?

Thanks!

RP1911
10-23-2007, 5:59 PM
Last time I checked...

First question: No.

Second question: No

Third question: No serial number requirement on rifle DROS.

Last question: Just that it is not stolen.

The BATF Form 4473, the dealer's bound books and any invoices/receipts if any, will have the long gun information.

This info stays at the dealer unless there is a trace request to provide info regarding the disposition of the long gun. Usually this request comes from BATF if it is reported stolen and/or recovered at a crime scene.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-23-2007, 6:15 PM
So when you DROS a rifle, does the DOJ or whoever is (or "isn't") keeping records get more information than that it is a long gun? Do they get make/model/serial number or anything? What were to happen if the serial number(if they have to put them in) were put in wrong into the DROS computer?

Which brings me to this question. If I'm traveling home from the range with my (insert any legally owned rifle or shotgun) and get pulled over and questioned by the cops, can they run the serial numbers and see that they are mine or just that they aren't stolen?

Thanks!

On my police scanner I've heard cops check s/n for guns. For handguns, because they're registered, the dispatcher will come back with who it's registered to, and whatever information the cop is looking for that's on that registration. The dispatcher will also see if it's been reported stolen. If the gun has had multiple owners, multiple registrations will show up for it; the latest one should be the current owner.

Long guns, when they ask to check a s/n, all they are able to find is whether it's stolen or not. If it's not stolen, dispatcher will tell them there's no info on that gun.

savasyn
10-23-2007, 7:07 PM
Got it, thanks for the info!

Shane916
10-23-2007, 7:17 PM
For long guns the only information submitted to the DOJ is your personal information and the fact that it is a Long gun. The information about the gun is recorded on the 4473 for the ATF. That information is only physically written and not sent off anywhere.

Handguns are different as they are entered in the AFS system. Therefore requiring the Make/Model/Serial for the DOJ.