PDA

View Full Version : AB 174 is dead

Swiss
03-21-2013, 8:32 PM
Assembly bill to seize assault weapons is dead

By Josh Richman
Thursday, March 21st, 2013 at 2:49 pm in Assembly, gun control, Rob Bonta.

One of the most controversial gun-control bills introduced in California this year – a move toward taking the 166,000 registered assault weapons that are grandfathered under the state’s ban – is dead, its author said today.

When Assemblyman Rob Bonta, D-Oakland, introduced AB 174 in January, it declared the Legislature’s intent to end all “grandfather clauses” allowing ownership of assault weapons and large-capacity magazines. The bill was gutted and amended Tuesday to address public-school health centers instead.

Read the rest here:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/politics/2013/03/21/assembly-bill-to-seize-assault-weapons-is-dead/

Hoop
03-21-2013, 8:34 PM
They don't need it if they can get SB 47 through.

madjack956
03-21-2013, 8:42 PM
The next time an anti asks why you oppose registration, you can cite this instance.

I registered my UZI like a good little citizen, and left myself wide open for confiscation if a law like this was passed.

Live and learn...

NEVER AGAIN!

MolonLabe2008
03-21-2013, 8:51 PM
It just sickens me to think that they would even author a bill like this in the first place.

The Democrats have gone full retard all over this country.

Anyone who votes for a Democrat is not a friend of the 2nd Amendment.

CAL.BAR
03-21-2013, 9:06 PM
The next time an anti asks why you oppose registration, you can cite this instance.

I registered my UZI like a good little citizen, and left myself wide open for confiscation if a law like this was passed.

Live and learn...

NEVER AGAIN!

Yeah - it's been 25 years since you registered that UZI, you'd think that if they were coming for you, they'd be there already

CAL.BAR
03-21-2013, 9:07 PM

Exactly! 47 bans everything rather nicely. What's more, it's just been amended. So it looks like they will be running with the best foot forward.

NoHeavyHitter
03-21-2013, 9:12 PM
Yeah - it's been 25 years since you registered that UZI, you'd think that if they were coming for you, they'd be there already

There's always tomorrow! :D

vonderplatz
03-21-2013, 9:15 PM
Bonta also said he was very aware of the gun lobby’s assertion that any state or national registration of firearms is merely a prelude to confiscation – something his bill actually pursued.

“I didn’t want to have a bill that plays into that argument,” he said. “I wanted to concentrate on some other bills that I thought would be more focused and more effective.”

That crazy gun lobby was actually saying that they wanted to confiscate guns, and he didn't want to play into that argument?

mmayer707
03-21-2013, 9:18 PM
^ Only a moron couldn't see through Bonta's argument.

supermanuf
03-21-2013, 9:42 PM

Yee went down before and he'll go down again... The fight just may be a little longer this time.

lisinopril
03-21-2013, 10:25 PM
This is big news! That means you get to keep all of your guns , regardless of whether or not it's AR or AK, right?

Nice!

Damn True
03-21-2013, 10:29 PM
^^^ no ^^^

One down ~48 to go.

lisinopril
03-21-2013, 10:30 PM
I know...but this is the most craziest bill ever proposed in my opinion!

AleksandreCz
03-21-2013, 10:30 PM
I fully expect this to comeback next year. If the new registration bill passes and we all register :nuts: Or not :boat:.
They will have a near complete list of weapons in the state with a ton of money about 35 dollars a gun for confiscations

frankm
03-21-2013, 10:34 PM

When he dies, the state gets it. Confiscation anyway.

Damn True
03-21-2013, 11:10 PM

That is a provision that is awfully tough to enforce.

RonnieP
03-21-2013, 11:44 PM
That is a provision that is awfully tough to enforce.

How is it tough to enforce? You die, your grieving family gets a letter telling them to turn in your guns or they will be arrested.

Patagonicus
03-22-2013, 12:03 AM

This is what I prefer to call generational confiscation. If you are unable to legally ever dispossess it to someone else, and the only legal option upon death is a handover to the state, it's certainly confiscation.

MichaelKent
03-22-2013, 12:51 AM

Perhaps... But the effort to expand "assault weapons" to include virtually every rifle (even the Ruger 10/22) is definitely on about the same level of insanity...

CDFingers
03-22-2013, 5:06 AM
I'm glad.

CDFingers

sl0re10
03-22-2013, 5:54 AM

Live and learn...

NEVER AGAIN!

This law you probably would support if it came up again... but just not own up to.

P.Charm
03-22-2013, 7:00 AM
they can only take what they know you have. f em. they get nothing from me.

sakosf
03-22-2013, 7:10 AM
This bill may resurrected after registration is required of all firearms in CA. Better chance to get high % of compliance with registration with this bill dead....for now

P.Charm
03-22-2013, 7:14 AM
NOT ONE INCH!!!

tuolumnejim
03-22-2013, 7:14 AM

It's called "bait and switch" for a reason, remain eternally vigilant. :oji:

vmwerks
03-22-2013, 7:16 AM
80% lowers / end thread

You should have at least 1 for every registered AR you own...

Wherryj
03-22-2013, 7:34 AM

Those who do great evil know patience. Rushing too quickly to confiscate could have backfired on them. Don't worry, they have time...

P.Charm
03-22-2013, 7:39 AM
Those who do great evil know patience. Rushing too quickly to confiscate could have backfired on them. Don't worry, they have time...

yeah, they are killing us softly.

Wiz-of-Awd
03-22-2013, 7:42 AM

"Most craziest" indeed...

A.W.D.

Damn True
03-22-2013, 7:56 AM
How is it tough to enforce? You die, your grieving family gets a letter telling them to turn in your guns or they will be arrested.

To which they reply, "What gun? We cleared out Grand-pappy's house and didn't find any gun."

Born To Glock
03-22-2013, 8:32 AM
It just sickens me to think that they would even author a bill like this in the first place.

The Democrats have gone full retard all over this country.

Anyone who votes for a Democrat is not a friend of the 2nd Amendment.

They went to 10 on the retard scale, but I'm pretty sure the scale goes up to at least 11. I'm pretty sure they're working hard behind the scenes on a way to make the scale go up a lot higher than that, as well.

BHPFan
03-22-2013, 8:37 AM
They went to 10 on the retard scale, but I'm pretty sure the scale goes up to at least 11. I'm pretty sure they're working hard behind the scenes on a way to make the scale go up a lot higher than that, as well.

When it gets on a higher scale than retarded, it's f*cktarded.

madjack956
03-22-2013, 8:38 AM

Actually, I trusted them at their word. At the time, they said register and you can keep it. Get caught with it unregistered and you will lose it.

I did what the law required, not thinking that some fool would come around 25 years later and try to pass a bill to confiscate it.

So, the moral of the story is as I see it, don't register your guns, because no matter how much time passes, the powers that be cannot be trusted with a confiscation list in their hand.

nrvnqsrxk
03-22-2013, 8:54 AM
The way I see it, if a kid tells you they don't want to eat ice cream, but just want to hold it it in their hands....

Doesn't pass the smell test.

mshill
03-22-2013, 9:07 AM
This guy gives idiots a bad name. Are there any registered voters in his district? How in the world did he get elected?

“It would be extremely expensive, for one – if you were going to take back guns that have were grandfathered in, you would have to provide market compensation for them,” he said. “I didn’t think that made the most sense from a fiscal perspective.”

He acts as if the government gave them to people, so they think they can actually be taken.

I think he is being groomed for a future VP. You just can't fix stupid.

pMcW
03-22-2013, 10:30 AM
So, AB174 (or rather the 2A-related changes to the law that it proposed) died by "gut and amend", right? Does anything stop them from re-gut and re-amending it back?

It just seems so ridiculous how they can just do this to change bills entirely:
Open bill > CTRL+A > DELETE > CTRL+V > SAVE
:facepalm:

RonnieP
03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
To which they reply, "What gun? We cleared out Grand-pappy's house and didn't find any gun."

Do you honestly think they'll buy that excuse? The grieving family will be subject to searches and intimidation.

CBruce
03-22-2013, 1:01 PM
Assembly bill to seize assault weapons is dead

By Josh Richman
Thursday, March 21st, 2013 at 2:49 pm in Assembly, gun control, Rob Bonta.

One of the most controversial gun-control bills introduced in California this year – a move toward taking the 166,000 registered assault weapons that are grandfathered under the state’s ban – is dead, its author said today.

When Assemblyman Rob Bonta, D-Oakland, introduced AB 174 in January, it declared the Legislature’s intent to end all “grandfather clauses” allowing ownership of assault weapons and large-capacity magazines. The bill was gutted and amended Tuesday to address public-school health centers instead.

Read the rest here:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/politics/2013/03/21/assembly-bill-to-seize-assault-weapons-is-dead/

Of course it's dead. You've got to get everyone to *register* before you make it illegal. Otherwise how will you know where to send the letters demanding they surrender their now illegal property?

Registration now. Repeal after the next mass shooting. Think, McFly!

stix213
03-22-2013, 1:14 PM
One small step forward

chris
03-22-2013, 4:48 PM
good to hear. but I tell you this is the end game for these A************************************************* ************************************ they want this and it was let out. let us not forget this bill at all. this bill will be back in some form or another. that is just one down and so many more to defeat.

madjack956
03-22-2013, 5:52 PM
This law you probably would support if it came up again... but just not own up to...

Yeah your right. Im an anti in disguise. I want to give up all my stuff after 33 years of being a gun owner and want to support more laws that would screw us all.

I dont give a **** about the 2A, and my freedoms or my familys self defense, and am ecstactic that you outed me. What a relief.

Now I can sell the tens of thousands of dollars in guns, safes, scopes, presses, loading equipment, holsters, and loading components for yogurt, granola, and some birkenstocks. Maybe get my dream Prius.

Its good to know that a perfect stranger like yourself knows me so well. Thanks for liberating me from my scharade. Free at last..Free at last...

Now, where did I leave that number for the Brady Campaign at...

Tankhatch
03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
You must thank Assemblyman Rob Bonta, D-Oakland, who introduced AB 174 in January. Even without passing, it becomes a solid reason to use, to somebody not wanting to or who did not register a "politically incorrect weapon" (in Kalifornia and in this country), in fear of its rightful ownership being considered contraband in the furure and its owner becoming a felon with non compliance. So thank you, Assemblyman Rob Bonta, D-Oakland.

Like posting anything to the internet, once its introduced (no matter if its wording is changed / removed later or it never gets passed into law), its creation and the intent of elected officials whom supported it, never goes away.

ar15robert
03-23-2013, 5:11 PM
Funny how many say they wont register there rifles.When sb 23 came i ended up complying at the last minute others i know did not.I am able to shoot on BLM land without worry for the most part.

Ones i know who didnt register did not want to take their guns out of the house fir fear of being caught with it.They all talked big at first but backed down like lil *****es later on.Basically made their rifles useless in this state.Dont bother using for home defense either or hope you dont have a domestic violence issue at home too many things that can make that rifle pop up.

digdug74
03-23-2013, 5:27 PM
Of course it's dead. You've got to get everyone to *register* before you make it illegal. Otherwise how will you know where to send the letters demanding they surrender their now illegal property?

Registration now. Repeal after the next mass shooting. Think, McFly!

Bingo.

Skyhook
03-23-2013, 5:28 PM
I'd like to thank Rob Bonta for showing his true intentions.

I became a life member of the NRA and donated to Calguns and the SAF thanks to AB174.

I won't be forgetting about it any time soon, either, as I expect it to come back around eventually in some form.

Hopefully, we can win an AWB case at SCOTUS in the meantime.

AleksandreCz
03-23-2013, 6:22 PM
Funny how many say they wont register there rifles.When sb 23 came i ended up complying at the last minute others i know did not.I am able to shoot on BLM land without worry for the most part.

Ones i know who didnt register did not want to take their guns out of the house fir fear of being caught with it.They all talked big at first but backed down like lil *****es later on.Basically made their rifles useless in this state.Dont bother using for home defense either or hope you dont have a domestic violence issue at home too many things that can make that rifle pop up.

How smart did you feel when you saw this coming down the pipe before it was amended ?

Cato
03-23-2013, 7:37 PM

I got to get out of this state! :eek:

RonnieP
03-23-2013, 8:17 PM
I got to get out of this state! :eek:

And that's their strategy. Pass as many laws as they can to make people that votes against them move and only "their" people will remain.

Sadly, this state will look like Chicago/Detroit when the majority of tax payers leave and only the takers are left.

ar15robert
03-23-2013, 9:30 PM
How smart did you feel when you saw this coming down the pipe before it was amended ?

Honestly didnt bother me i had a strong feeling it would go thru.Now how do you feel useing a bullet buttoned blinged out rifle limited to 10 rounds while i can shoot my legal AR and hi caps without looking over my shoulder 24/7?

If i t did pass for some odd reason then i would just take my rifle out of state to a family members house if i had too while getting on board with any fight to overturn the law!

.40Cal
03-24-2013, 2:46 AM
they can only take what they know you have. f em. they get nothing from me.

Excuse my ignorance - but when you buy a gun (handgun or rifle), you go through a process...through DOJ, etc. So, don't they already have ALL the info about who has guns, how many, etc...etc? :facepalm:

AleksandreCz
03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Honestly didnt bother me i had a strong feeling it would go thru.Now how do you feel useing a bullet buttoned blinged out rifle limited to 10 rounds while i can shoot my legal AR and hi caps without looking over my shoulder 24/7?

If i t did pass for some odd reason then i would just take my rifle out of state to a family members house if i had too while getting on board with any fight to overturn the law!

It sucks using a BB rifle but hell at least its something and I still have fun at the range I would of course have more fun if it wasn't for these stupid AW laws. And I can see sending your rifle out of state for safekeeping rather than turning it in. But I would like to know why would you possibly think that our god forsaken state legislature would not pass a law such as this ? Something being Unconstitutional has not historically stopped them from Passing anything.

ar15robert
03-24-2013, 5:47 PM
It sucks using a BB rifle but hell at least its something and I still have fun at the range I would of course have more fun if it wasn't for these stupid AW laws. And I can see sending your rifle out of state for safekeeping rather than turning it in. But I would like to know why would you possibly think that our god forsaken state legislature would not pass a law such as this ? Something being Unconstitutional has not historically stopped them from Passing anything.

Its a risk we take.i dont agree with the law but complied and hope it gets overturned til then i plan on shooting my rifle and using my hi caps.Like said my friends who didnt have mostly got rid of their rifles and regretted it since they basically became useless in this state.

Its not hard for the gvt to find out who exactly owns firearms unless syou bought it off a street corner cash and carried.Registered or not theres sale recordsyes i know they arent suppose to acces 4473s but what is to stop them?

I will by an oll sometime so my son can build it up as a neutered version if he chooses.

Dano2467
03-24-2013, 6:09 PM

I don't get it? 47 wouldn't take our rifles as this one would have.

Thordo
03-24-2013, 6:39 PM
This is good news but keep up the fight.
SB 47, SB 374, and AB 48 are still VERY MUCH ALIVE!!

Thordo