PDA

View Full Version : Shipping ammo to CA

robert rhoades
10-23-2007, 2:16 PM
I heard there are new law regarding the shipping of ammo into CA.

If anyone knows what this is all about or if you know any laws pertaining to shipping ammo into CA , please email me or post a thread.

Thanks, Robert - Centermass

new cal shooter
10-23-2007, 3:17 PM
I know it has to be accepted for by an adult 21+ other than that???

sargenv
10-23-2007, 6:46 PM
Certain localities prevent it, ie not legal to ship there. SF, Davis, a few other places, other than that, 21+ and signature required.. no tracer.. no incendiary, no explosive bullets.. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's legal.. just up to the shipper whether they will ship it to you or not.

JeffM
10-23-2007, 7:18 PM
I know it's prohibited to ship to some cities and counties, but not sure if there's a concise list anywhere.

I looked at a Sportsman's Guide recently and they had several different codes for items like standard-cap mags and ammo. The codes referred to a key with shipping info that listed where they would not ship the items, including a breakdown of some CA counties.

Are you thinking of the lead ammo ban in LA? I don't know if it bans shipping or just use. There are some threads about it, but I don't live there and haven't been keeping track.

locktime
10-23-2007, 7:32 PM
Century recently stopped shipping ammo to non FFL's in California and a few other states. Maybe you heard talk of that.

That was a change in Century policy, not related to any change in California law.

The recent lead ammo ban only restricts its use for hunting in some SoCal coastal districts. It doesn't effect the purchase of ammo.

thebloodsonthewall
10-23-2007, 8:19 PM
I never knew you have to be 21 to accept the ammo. I am only 20 and I have ordered ammo on many occasions and it is either waiting for me on my door step or in the little parcel box in the office. (I live in apartments)

jegonzo3
10-23-2007, 8:56 PM
Not sure about a new law, but The Sportsmans Guide has this disclaimer on some ammo:

WARNING: Ammunition cannot be shipped to Sacramento, California; Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties in California, Hawaii, Chicago Metro Area, New York City, Massachusetts, D.C., Puerto Rico or Canada. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Ammunition.

I see Sacramento, CA there, so I guess I'm safe since I live in Elk Grove.

jegonzo3

mushrew
10-23-2007, 9:20 PM
cheaperthandirt and wideners have shipped me ammo before and i live in yolo county. sportsmansguide wouldn't ship it to me.

CSDGuy
10-23-2007, 9:22 PM
I live in an unincorporated area of Sacramento County. So far, Cheaper than Dirt and Midway USA will not ship to me because my zip code is a Sacramento City zip code as well. Although it is incredibly easy to verify that I am not subject to Sacramento CITY ordinances, their systems only "care" about zip codes and they will not ship to certain entire zip codes, mine included. They're probably being simply risk adverse. Why risk shipping inadvertently to a prohibited address when it's simple to avoid by not shipping to those zip codes altogether.

Believe me, I can see why they made that business decision, but it potentially shuts out about 10,000 customers.

tenpercentfirearms
10-24-2007, 5:02 AM
For once, I would say call the DOJ and ask them. They are supposed to know. :D

DIG
10-24-2007, 2:55 PM
Most of the "larger" online stores (cheaperthandirt, sportsmanguide, etc...) ship by zip code. SF zipcodes=no good but a few miles south, San Mateo county is Ok.
Call the online stores help line. They should be able to give you an immediate answer.

thmpr
10-24-2007, 3:05 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12316.php

This should clarify things.

CSDGuy
10-24-2007, 9:45 PM
That section does not clarify things a whole lot in regards to shipping ammunition into California. There are local ordinances that address this. Certain companies only look at the destination zip code to determine where they may or may not ship to.

weezil_boi
10-24-2007, 9:46 PM
Since Sacramento recently passed a city ord. that all mail order ammo has to be shipped to an FFL, if you have a Sac city zip... even if you are in unincorp/ non city area... you are screwed since alot of the postal info still says sacramento for the city. If you live in another actual city or county (i.e. city elk grove, or county placer) you are all set.

I believe the city FFLs that sell ammo must log their sales in a database as well, and that is the basis for shipping to an FFL.

If someone knows for sure, please correct me if I am wrong.

Also... does anyone know how this affects ammo sales at CalExpo?

Hunter
10-24-2007, 9:49 PM
...Also... does anyone know how this affects ammo sales at CalExpo?

It has no effect as Cal Expo is State property and not city owned.

CSDGuy
10-24-2007, 9:52 PM
Since Sacramento recently passed a city ord. that all mail order ammo has to be shipped to an FFL, if you have a Sac city zip... even if you are in unincorp/ non city area... you are screwed since a lot of the postal info still says sacramento for the city. If you live in another actual city or county (i.e. city elk grove, or county placer) you are all set.

I believe the city FFLs that sell ammo must log their sales in a database as well, and that is the basis for shipping to an FFL.

If someone knows for sure, please correct me if I am wrong.

Also... does anyone know how this affects ammo sales at CalExpo?Yep. What is also very possible (and easy) to do is to use the official Sacramento County Assessor's website, put the address into it, and that site WILL advise the shipper as to whether or not that address is legally considered to be a CITY or a COUNTY address, regardless of what zip code is used.

JRG
06-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Yup, just tried to order some cheap range ammo from CheaperThanDirt, they removed all the ammo from my cart due to restrictions.. no ammo to Marin. :(

I am hoping Walmart in Rohnert Park carries ammo (but man I hate giving them my business). I am also thinking of doing reloading, does the ammo restriction apply to buying bullets/powder/primers online as well or does anyone know where I can find this information?

Mssr. Eleganté
06-29-2008, 12:14 PM
See if these guys have anything you need...

http://www.jgsales.com/

Librarian
06-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I heard there are new law regarding the shipping of ammo into CA.

If anyone knows what this is all about or if you know any laws pertaining to shipping ammo into CA , please email me or post a thread.

Thanks, Robert - Centermass

Not yet - there's a bill in the legislature that might make some changes in the future. AB 2062 (http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_2062&sess=CUR&house=A&search_type=bill_update) - lots of threads in this forum about it.

AK4me
06-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I order from ammunitiontogo.com all the time, UPS just leaves it on my doorstep.

CSACANNONEER
06-29-2008, 1:52 PM
I know it's prohibited to ship to some cities and counties, but not sure if there's a concise list anywhere.

I looked at a Sportsman's Guide recently and they had several different codes for items like standard-cap mags and ammo. The codes referred to a key with shipping info that listed where they would not ship the items, including a breakdown of some CA counties.

Are you thinking of the lead ammo ban in LA? I don't know if it bans shipping or just use. There are some threads about it, but I don't live there and haven't been keeping track.

What lead ammo ban in LA? I think you mean the lead ammo ban on hunting in the condor range which includes many counties and part of LA county is included. Again, that ban is just for hunting. It is still OK to own and shoot lead ammo in the condor area as long as you are not hunting. Please be careful about starting false rumors. Then again, I heard there were only two thing that came from Visaila.........Just kidding.

p7m8jg
06-29-2008, 4:20 PM
www.Ammoman.com shipped me plenty and UPSFEDEXDHL just dropped it on the doorstep....you couldn't lift it steal it anyway....

Mikeb
06-29-2008, 4:40 PM
I tried t buy 38-55 from Sportsman... they wouldn't ship it to CA. I'm gonna' guess that there has never been a drive-by, ride-by shooting with 38-55 ever.
When you hear this stuff... tell 'em to go to Heller'
Mike

motorhead
06-30-2008, 7:38 AM
ctd are idiots, they refuse to ship a stock that the mfr. advertises as ca. compliant. sg is likewise. copes has a sale on X39, golden tiger right now.

CenterX
07-20-2008, 5:38 PM
Napa is a no ship per Sportsman, AIM, now Cheaper than dirt, and Midway.
I searched the municipal code and county code on-line and got NO HITS for restriction of ammunition shipping into the city or county.
I get shipments from CMP with no issues.

I suspect there is a Brady flake in the woodpile of these lies.

I wrote to AIM asking for details for their rationale and hope to hear from them -

Anybody have any other ideas?