PDA

View Full Version : Got a msg from DOJ

TopGun2000
10-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Asking me to call them back regarding my firearms. I am sure its related to my recent purchase of a Saiga. What shall I do? Are they going to harass me because of this? :(

hoffmang
10-23-2007, 11:02 AM
No. But you should take detailed notes of the call, who is there - ask them to repeat their names and mention you are taking notes.

-Gene

EricCartmann
10-23-2007, 11:05 AM
record the conversation but make sure you tell them you are recording it. Tell them you are using it for notes and reference since you have a short memory.

AJAX22
10-23-2007, 11:06 AM
My 2 cents is to call TM and have them participate in a recorded conference call with the DOJ.

shift the ballence of power.

bwiese
10-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Record conversation - but notify other party.

It may well not be related to Saiga - hell your name could conflict with that of a prohibited person and a red flag was triggered.

PIRATE14
10-23-2007, 11:08 AM
My 2 cents is to call TM and have them participate in a recorded conference call with the DOJ.

shift the ballence of power.

Good one...........

Pretty sure the SAIGA issue will come up....

This could work in our favor......that everthing has to be listed by MAKE and MODEL.....

(ALL) won't cut it and nothing can be infered......

Anthonysmanifesto
10-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Asking me to call them back regarding my firearms. I am sure its related to my recent purchase of a Saiga. What shall I do? Are they going to harass me because of this? :(

I would think having an attorney present, preferably a Firearms experienced one present on the call

thedrickel
10-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Which FFL did you get the Saiga thru?

TopGun2000
10-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I've bought many firearms in the past. As soon as I put my hands on a Saiga, DOJ said hello to me. :mad:

TopGun2000
10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Which FFL did you get the Saiga thru?

Roger's Relics

PIRATE14
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM

YES.....u will relentlessly be harrased and unfairly judged......deleted.........

TopGun2000
10-23-2007, 11:19 AM

where I can find TM's contact?

69Mach1
10-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Trutanich-Michel LLP
180 E. Ocean Blvd., Ste 200
Long Beach, CA 90802

Tel (562) 216-4444
Fax (562) 216-4445
www.tmllp.com

CavTrooper
10-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Please, please, please, post the transcript if possible!

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/WiseBobo/DoJ.jpg

JawBone
10-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Good opportunity to interview them.

If it is related to the Saiga, ask them under what authority they are asking about the weapon.

If they say it is on-list, ask them specifically where it is on the list, because you don't see it on there.

Ask them if they have read the Harrot decision. Offer to send them a copy. Ask them, if they have read Harrot, why the are asking about your off-list rifle.

If they say it is a Kalashnikov, ask them how they came to that understanding as the word does not appear anywhere on the rifle, nor on the paperwork.

ETA: Always refer to your firearm as an "Russian American Armory Saiga" - never refer to it as just a "Saiga."

If they say they want to come over to your house (to inspect or pick up), inform them that you are handing the rifle over to your attorney this afternoon and that they will have to contact him in the future regarding any questions they may have or to inspect the rifle. State that you will call them back with the lawyers' contact information. Then, if you don't already have one, get an attorney and give him the rifle.

PIRATE14
10-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Well.....One.....How would they know you bought a SAIGA??

Did they talk to RR already???

Get the straight skinny before....ya panic....;)

bwiese
10-23-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm guessing this has nothing to do w/Saiga. It's a rifle and they don't have info unless the shop was inspected.

thedrickel
10-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm guessing this has nothing to do w/Saiga. It's a rifle and they don't have info unless the shop was inspected.

I know RR was inspected by DOJ a few months ago (first time in 5 years), DOJ's main complaint was not enough storage space for guns so RR got another huge safe and that took care of it. I transferred my Saiga thru them about 6 months ago.

TopGun2000
10-23-2007, 2:37 PM
False alarm. Called DOJ, a lady, not the same person who called me, answered my phone. She ran a quick check based on my DL# and found out that my recent firearm purchase had been approved. She was not sure about the msg but said everything was fine, nothing to worry about. :jump:

Thank you guys for all the help! Calguns rocks!

bwiese
10-23-2007, 2:39 PM
Yup. You may have had some kinda stall from NICS due to your name being close to that of a questionable/prohibited person, etc.

icormba
10-23-2007, 2:48 PM
RR got another huge safe

...and what a SWEET safe it is too!! :)

vandal
10-23-2007, 2:59 PM
LOL ---

"Hello... CADOJ.."

Ma'am, this is TopGun2000 calling and on the line with me is my legal team, TMLLP. I am required to notify you that this call is being recorded. This is in response to your recent call to me. I want to know under what authority you are harassing me. What is it, on-list or off-list? Where on the list, because I don't see it. Do you know about the Harrot decision? Would you like me to send you a copy by certified mail?

"Uh... we were just calling to confirm your address before we processed your firearm purchase. Couldn't make out your street number."

Oh. Never mind. Forget what I said.

"So what kind of firearm did you buy exactly?"

Uh, a single-shot .22. Bye! <click>

[internal conversation] Wow, what was that all about?
"Another Saiga owner with a guilty conscience I guess."[/internal conversation]

False alarm. Called DOJ, a lady, not the same person who called me, answered my phone. She ran a quick check based on my DL# and found out that my recent firearm purchase had been approved. She was not sure about the msg but said everything was fine, nothing to worry about. :jump:

Thank you guys for all the help! Calguns rocks!

PIRATE14
10-23-2007, 3:01 PM
YES.....u will relentlessly be harrased and unfairly judged......deleted.........

DAMN.......moderators.......:43:

Soldier415
10-23-2007, 3:04 PM
Trutanich-Michel LLP
Long Beach, CA 90802

Tel (562) 216-4444
Fax (562) 216-4445
www.tmllp.com

May I just say that the above contact info should be printed on a card and kept in the wallet of every gun owner in the State...

Just in case...it can sit right next to the condom that has been there since the 80's :D

PIRATE14
10-23-2007, 3:07 PM
May I just say that the above contact info should be printed on a card and kept in the wallet of every gun owner in the State...

Just in case...it can sit right next to the condom that has been there since the 80's :D

You mean you don't have one of those ORANGE business cards they hand out already......I hand one out w/ every weapon we sell..........

kantstudien
10-23-2007, 3:08 PM

Hopefully, neither one will ever be put to use... :D

Diablo
10-23-2007, 3:10 PM
DAMN.......moderators.......:43:

Can you please repost? I missed it again...:D

CSACANNONEER
10-23-2007, 3:22 PM

Quit bragging about having to recently replace your condom.

Harbinger
10-23-2007, 3:43 PM
...and what a SWEET safe it is too!! :)

Honestly, they could use two more... but then there'd be no more room for the Basengis.

Mike

m24armorer
10-23-2007, 3:56 PM
TM LLP, are you guys forgetting Don Kilmer in the south bay?

oaklander
10-23-2007, 3:59 PM
You mean you don't have one of those ORANGE business cards they hand out already......I hand one out w/ every weapon we sell..........

Don't forget the cool "safe magnets" that they hand out!!!

metalhead357
10-23-2007, 4:54 PM
Attorney up & STFU. 5th amedments there for a reason & dont gimmi no crap about how its only on the witness stand. You're dealing with a Agency that does have the ability to conduct an investigation.

Lawyer up & then let the attorney do the talking............. you may not have anything to hide but you DO have plenty to protect.

niceguy
10-23-2007, 5:47 PM

Maybe they got hit again. I had a call from my FFL that told me I didn't have the paperwork properly fingerprinted. Said that the rules from the DOJ changed at the beginnng of the year on where the fingerprint placement was specified, and that I had to come back in and do it over.

I told them, "Nope." I had travelled quite a ways to do it the first time. On pick up day, they had lost the paperwork, and I filled it out again under their instructions. Then they wanted me back again because DOJ visited them and didn't like my fingerprint? The heck with that. Hours of driving and gas and time? Told them they could visit me. They said, "Okay, we'll note that you refused to come in."

I don't like the sound of any of that. Oh, and they don't tranfer Saigas anymore......

niceguy
10-23-2007, 5:50 PM
Hopefully, neither one will ever be put to use... :D

I'm sure one will work as advertised.... the other? Throw it away! Or you'll have TWO lawsuits... :D

H Paul Payne
10-23-2007, 6:51 PM
Trutanich-Michel LLP
Long Beach, CA 90802

Tel (562) 216-4444
Fax (562) 216-4445
www.tmllp.com

Don't forget the cool "safe magnets" that they hand out!!!

If any of you would like Chuck Michel's "business card with legal advice for firearms owners" or his "Notice to Police - safe magnet", just let me know, and I will see that you are provided with it. My contact information is at the bottom of this message.

Chuck Michel's firm represents California issues for the NRA and we keep him very busy. Although, his lawyers are constantly occupied with NRA-related matters, they are there to assist the individual gun owner who finds himself/herself in need of expert representation in this not-so-golden state.

Semper Fi

Paul

Fighting for the restoration and preservation of the Second Amendment, right here in California!

H. Paul Payne, NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President
3565 La Ciotat Way, Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 683-4NRA Office (951) 779-0740 Fax
nrausmc@adelphia.net Email

http://www.calnra.com

oaklander
10-23-2007, 6:57 PM
Thanks Paul and welcome to the board!!!

:D

thefinger
10-24-2007, 1:08 AM
Can I just say that reading this thread scared the sh*t out of me. I was just trying to put myself in this guys shoes--getting a call from the DOJ about my guns. HOLY SH*T... I would have pissed myself and crawled under a rock to cry for a few hours. Even if I KNEW that my rifles were all legal, I would still be freaking out about the possibility of having to spend tons of $$ to save my law-abiding a** from the anti-gunner BOF. And although the advice to lawyer-up was probably very good advice, it would have made me cryyyyyyy.

cheers to Topgun. enjoy that saiga.