PDA

View Full Version : Got my first 1911 yesterday

under1630
10-23-2007, 6:41 AM
My first post here at CalGuns. Thanks for the great forum. Lot's of informative discussions here.
Bought my first gun 3 weeks ago, a Glock 27. I had never even fired a handgun in my life before that. A week later I bought a Mossberg 500. I fired my first shot on my birthday, on the 17th! I was very nervous, just doing the HSC demo for the employee at Discount Gun Mart. My hands were sweating and I was fumbling with the snap cap. I passed and I just got more nervous and I was sweating profusely when I entered the range. I must have jumped about 3 feet when the first shot was fired by someone else when I was in the range. I was still jumping until I began to acclimate myself to the noisy environment. I believe I missed the 20x30 target on my first 2 shots. My shots were all over the target and I was so freakin' nervous.
Me being a type A competitive person, I couldn't let this stand. I have now shot about 400 rounds in 4 visits in the past week, and yesterday, out of 32 shots, I was able to place 21 in the "10", 10 in the "9", and one in the "8". Okay, much better. I now think I deserve a 1911 as my reward.
Hmmmmmmmm, what do I get? F... it! I bought a Les Baer Premier II 1".
They let me fire off a few rounds and it seems like I'm back to square 1. I was all over the target and nervous again. I have to wait until next month to file the DROS. I can't even shoot it until I file the DROS. By the way, my best shooting with my 27 was after my embarrassing tryout with the Les Baer. I think I had a point to prove to myself.
Today, since I wont be working (I'm a UPS driver in San Diego and there's no way I'm working in all this smoke) I will swallow my pride and walk into a Wal Mart to try to scour up some reasonably price .45 ACP ammo.
Thanks for reading.
Jon

jandmtv
10-23-2007, 6:49 AM
:useless:

mecam
10-23-2007, 6:58 AM
Get in the habit of proper gripping.

Beginner's Grip
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGcombatg_100206B.jpg

The Combat Grip (Competition)
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGcombatg_100206A.jpg

Read about it here.
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/

under1630
10-23-2007, 6:59 AM
:useless:

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and for your support.

slowfire
10-23-2007, 6:59 AM
Congrats. Boy when you go out you go all out . . . a Les Baer!! :D And then the 1 1/2" group package at that!!! The 1911 platform is my favorite. I read on another thread somewhere . . . "if you can lift 100 pounds you can definately lift 80 pounds." I guess when you learn to handle the kick of the heavier calibers, the recoil of the smaller calibers aren't so intimidating.

mecam
10-23-2007, 7:07 AM
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and for your support.

Just ignore comments like that. There are more supportive people here and willing to help you. Welcome to the board. ;)

NorCalAl
10-23-2007, 7:21 AM
That is one sweet intro to the 1911. One thing - be sure to get a good bushing wrench for that baby. Esp with the 1.5" option, it's gonna be tight as heck. I had a Concept I and before it, a Kimber TLE II. Trust me, getting the LB broken down takes a little elbow grease. On the Kimber, the wrench isn't needed at all. On the LB, it's an essential piece of kit. The other thing is many suggest putting 4-500 rounds downrange on the LB's before the first breakdown. I'd agree with that.
My promise to myself is to get a PII after Xmas. Soon as I can FIND one!

under1630
10-23-2007, 7:26 AM

Beginner's Grip

Read about it here.

Rick, thanks for the support and the link. I will work on the grip at home and when I go to the range.
Jon

quickgunner
10-23-2007, 7:34 AM
congrats on your first 1911, you'll grow to love that thing and thrive for more.

mecam
10-23-2007, 7:50 AM
Rick, thanks for the support and the link. I will work on the grip at home and when I go to the range.
Jon

That's what I do everyday when I get home from work. I draw from the holster and practice with snap caps for about half an hour and do some drills. I feel that I have improved dramatically since my first Tac Handgun match. Also find a range that will allow you to double tap, it helps BIG TIME!

maxicon
10-23-2007, 8:19 AM
I was amazed when I got my first 1911. Before that, I was getting decent groups, but I reached a plateau and wasn't improving a lot. First time out with the 1911, I kept waiting for the next shot to go wide, but it just kept chewing out the same hole in the target.

It really convinced me of the value of a light trigger and good ergo for target shooting.

When I'm feeling down about my handgun shooting skills, my 1911 makes me feel warm and fuzzy again!

Kruzr
10-23-2007, 8:20 AM
If you don't want to be all over the place when shooting the Baer, the "combat grip" shown in the pictures above will help except for one thing.............that guy has WAY too much finger in the trigger for a 1911 with a 3.5 lb trigger.

On a 1911 or any semi-auto with a light trigger, engage the trigger with the pad of the index finger. The part of the finger opposite your nail. This allows you to control the pressure with the second joint of the finger. If you put your finger into the trigger all the way to the first joint, you are applying pressure with the bottom joint of the finger and you will pull sideways.

cobra198
10-23-2007, 3:28 PM
Congrats and welcome to Calguns! Im jealous of ur baer! Enjoy it!

U2BassAce
10-23-2007, 4:30 PM
What 400 rounds in 4 range trips???

Danielson you are still Grasshopper. When you are shooting 400 rounds a range trip you will be on your way to Gunslutness! :cool:

Good job! Have fun and be safe!!

Army
10-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Front sight focus...squeeeeeze.

If the front sight is not in blazing clear focus before the round is out...yer wrong!

Let the rear sight go unfocused (---it will not be so fuzzy that you cannot align the front, don't worry about it---) let the target be unfocused also (---again, not a problem. It will still be quite visible---).

Basically, if you are straining to focus and align the sights, you will be off target. If you are straining to keep the target in focus, your sights will not be aligned.

Now, many IPSC competitors DO focus on the target, and align fuzzy sights, but we're talking range of "spitting distances", and a fairly large "A" ring where speed is of the essence. We do, however, properly align the sights...and focus on the front...when the range gets out to rock throwing yardage, and the targets are multiple 6-8" steel plates.

Just repeat the mantra while shooting: "Front sight focus, and squeeeze". Soon enough, it will natural.

rayra
10-23-2007, 10:32 PM

Beginner's Grip

Read about it here.
Crapola.

To the oringal poster - read up a bit on the various grip styles. Try them all out, find one that works for you. But since you are reportedly just starting out, you should work with the guns you have for a while and really hone your skills to the point where such declarative "advice" as above even has any relevance.

Welcome to firearms ownership. Be safe. Learn all you can. Enjoy it. Did I mention be safe?

And don't listen to 1.2 of what you read on forums and even less of what you are told in a gunstore / range. Idiots abound.

mecam
10-24-2007, 6:30 AM
Also, experiment shooting with both eyes open and one eye only. See which one works for you best. I shoot with both eyes open since I'm right eye dominant I don't even notice my left eye being open.

Outlaw
10-24-2007, 7:49 AM
1911 is a good choice for a second (or 1st, 3rd, 4th etc.) gun.

Soak up all the info you can about the guns you use and practice practice practice. When you get comfortable with your weapon, everything starts falling into place.
Shoot safe.

RudyN
10-24-2007, 8:09 AM
Great on the new gun! I have two Springfield Armory 1911s and a Springfield Armory XD9 Tactical. You will enjoy the gun, that is for sure.

Shenaniguns
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Crapola.

To the oringal poster - read up a bit on the various grip styles. Try them all out, find one that works for you. But since you are reportedly just starting out, you should work with the guns you have for a while and really hone your skills to the point where such declarative "advice" as above even has any relevance.

Welcome to firearms ownership. Be safe. Learn all you can. Enjoy it. Did I mention be safe?

And don't listen to 1.2 of what you read on forums and even less of what you are told in a gunstore / range. Idiots abound.

Read the whole article, the "opinions" are from various world class shooters like Sevigny,Enos,Leatham etc...

And why should he not take the advice of more experienced shooters? Many of us would have benefited from the correct techniques from the start then finding them out years later when you've already picked up bad habits.
"Perfect practice makes perfect"

And to the OP, make sure you shoot the PII atleast 500-700 rounds before you bother to disassemble it, that's not just advice but from Les Baer himself.
My TRS smoothened up quite a bit after break in :D

ctbassman
10-31-2007, 12:50 AM
JT,

Stay off these forums for advice on your shooting, you will get an overabundance of information. I will get you where you need to be and you have seen what I can do. I can teach you what you need to be doing, though the picture you were sent is exactly what I was showing you. Not to bash on anyone here as I know there are many good shooters on this forum, the amount of advice, and many times conflicting information can really confuse someone who is just getting in the shooting sports. JT come and see me, you know my schedule and I will be more than happy to work with you.

AA

under1630
11-04-2007, 5:56 AM
JT,

Stay off these forums for advice on your shooting, you will get an overabundance of information. I will get you where you need to be and you have seen what I can do. I can teach you what you need to be doing, though the picture you were sent is exactly what I was showing you. Not to bash on anyone here as I know there are many good shooters on this forum, the amount of advice, and many times conflicting information can really confuse someone who is just getting in the shooting sports. JT come and see me, you know my schedule and I will be more than happy to work with you.

AA

AA,
Thanks for your continued support and help. Yes, I know exactly what you can do. I hope that someday I can shoot groupings like that.:) I was intimidated at the range:eek:, and it all seemed to move too quickly. Viewing the article on the combat grip allowed me to step back and take my time with exact pictures I can evaluate and apply in practice at home with the SnapCaps.
Yesterday when I moved the target in to 5 yards, it all seemed to come into focus. I was actually hitting where I was aiming, instead of aiming 5 inches to the right of the target at 7 yards to try to hit the center of the target.:confused:
Any time I am presented the opportunity, I will send customers your way.
Jon