PDA

View Full Version : Place to shoot near palm spring area

Guns R Tools
10-22-2007, 11:01 PM
I am looking for a place to shoot, more like BLM or other free ranges.
East of Banning, by 10 fwy or SR-111.

I saw a thread with some description and google satelite image but I cannot find it.

I plan to take some friends out there. soon.

Let me know. Thanks in advance.

ocabj
10-22-2007, 11:08 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=34480

lawnrevenge
10-22-2007, 11:12 PM
There is a real dump that is fun for plinking if you like piles garbage and wind. It is free and off the 111. There is a place I heard of near Lake Perris called Bee Canyon. Haven't been there yet.

lat 3352'39.34"N
long 11635'36.81"W

Go towards Palm Springs, 1.1 miles past the Valero Gas Station on Overture Drive and turn right up a dirt road along a steep ridge.

The place is a mess and I hate the thought of taking new shooters there because it can give a bad impression due to the piles of garbage. I quit going there all together back in May of this year.

Guns R Tools
10-22-2007, 11:32 PM
lawnrevenge

this place is legal to shoot?

Guns R Tools
10-22-2007, 11:34 PM
lawnrevenge

this place is legal to shoot?

it was other thread with google satelite link with brief description. Thanks for the other thread though.

lawnrevenge
10-23-2007, 8:29 AM
yes, it's privately owned land that is not within city limits. The owner does not mind people shooting there. I'd think he'd mind the mess but I've heard that he just rents a tractor once in a while. It's a true redneck for old furniture and electronics so you can blast them.

virulosity
10-23-2007, 5:00 PM
I shoot here pretty often. It is private property but there are no signs that say that. A buddy of mine was approached by a Sheriff once but nothing happened. It is pretty trashy but some people have been considerate enough to leave behind target stands and homemade steel targets before. Wear good shoes so you don't wind up in the hospital after stepping on a nail or something. Personally, I don't like to add to the trash so I only shoot clays and fruit there, in addition to any targets that are there already ;)
edit:
also please make ABSOLUTELY SURE there is no one around when you shoot. I have seen people hiking in the canyons before as well as people riding dirt bikes on occasion. Visibility is good, so just be observant. And DO NOT SHOOT the wind power generators or towards the freeway, that is just plain stupid (I am sure you already know that).

lawnrevenge
10-23-2007, 5:51 PM
Might as well add that you only shoot at the berm towards palm springs (more south) and not at the one north since there is a home development that way and we don't need a stray bullet ruining it for everyone.

Guns R Tools
10-23-2007, 9:17 PM
Thanks you all for information and suggestions.

rod
10-25-2007, 9:18 AM
There is a place I heard of near Lake Perris called Bee Canyon. Haven't been there yet.

lat 3352'39.34"N
long 11635'36.81"W

It's actually East of Hemet off the 74.

lawnrevenge
10-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Bee Canyon is forest land. I bet it's closed to shooting due to the fires, and even if it's not there is no way I'd go there this weekend.

I'm heading up to Calico Saturday.

oscarsonthepond
11-18-2007, 4:42 PM
Bee Canyon is forest land. I bet it's closed to shooting due to the fires, and even if it's not there is no way I'd go there this weekend.

Does anybody know if Bee Canyon is open for shooting? I'm guessing not, since the fire danger is still "extreme" out there....but does anybody know when it will open up if it isn't already? Also, I've heard mixed things...do you need to get a pass to shoot out there? If so, how much does it cost and where can you get it?

I'm looking for a place to shoot .22 and .22-250 rifles sometime this week near Hemet, CA (92544). I'd prefer somewhere that's free, but I could do a range too if that's the only option. Any recommendations (Bee Canyon or non)?

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 6:46 PM
www.palmspringsgunclub.org

lawnrevenge
11-19-2007, 12:27 AM
go to the national forest website and find the number to your local ranger station. They will tell you if you can shoot there and how late in the day (often only until noon) You will need a forest adventure pass just like anytime you go park in the national forest. And they don't allow magnetic ammo. Once it gets wet and snowy I bet shooting will be allowed all day.