PDA

View Full Version : AK trigger clip assembly, PIA!!!!!

savasyn
10-22-2007, 9:02 PM
I got home tonight and decided it was a good time to attempt to make my registered SA85M 922r compliant, and while at it, upgrade to a double hook trigger.

It took an hour to take it apart, drill and file the second slot, clean, re-blue and lube everything. All was going well.

Alas, it took another two hours of wrestling with that stupid retaining clip that hold the whole FCG together. I ultimately had to stop after twisting the clip way too far out of shape, which is hard to do to spring steel like that!

I ordered two different types from Tapco in hopes that one of them will go on without too much fuss.

So now that I have struggled, what's the trick to getting that stupid clip on without wrecking anything??

M. Sage
10-22-2007, 9:06 PM
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=238

This is the easy way. Secure as it gets, and literally drops in. Put the two pins in, put this plate in where the stupid little spring normally goes, then put the safety lever back in.

E-clips work, too, but I just read that one fell out of Oaklander's AK.

Oh, and a good tutorial: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.htm

savasyn
10-22-2007, 9:32 PM
Oh that plate will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine!

thank you for that, I'll happily skip the clip!!

savasyn
10-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Ordered one. Now I just need to get my Ironwood furniture so I can finally have a pistol grip AK like Mikhail intended!

grammaton76
10-24-2007, 3:59 AM
I've personally never had an e-clip fall out. If you're worried about it happening, maybe go a size up and crimp it down with needle nose pliers. They're pretty easy to put in. I will say that I still have nightmares about the FCG retaining system on Saigas... *grumble*

AJAX22
10-24-2007, 5:58 AM
I've ha e-clips jump out of my gun on more than one occasion. (thankfully I doubled them up, but still its not good to have little bits of your gun rattle out the bottom)

They will work, but if your AK is going to be your super reliable Go-to gun... they may not be the best idea. when TSHTF there may not be any hardware stores open.

vandal
10-24-2007, 11:20 AM
When TSHTF there may not be any hardware stores open.

Oh they'll be open, one way or another.

grammaton76
10-24-2007, 12:25 PM
I've ha e-clips jump out of my gun on more than one occasion. (thankfully I doubled them up, but still its not good to have little bits of your gun rattle out the bottom)

They will work, but if your AK is going to be your super reliable Go-to gun... they may not be the best idea. when TSHTF there may not be any hardware stores open.

What size were you using? And, what kind of receiver? On NDS-3's, they've been nothing but solidly reliable for me. However, if you're using flats and the holes allow a little bit more play, I could see that causing the clips to jump loose...

AJAX22
10-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I have a standard NDS3 receiver with a rommy G kit and a tapco G2 FCG

there is a tiney bit of play with the clips installed, I'm using whatever size clips are reccomended, I don't remember what it is offhand.

its perfectly fine for range work, and 99.99999 % reliable.

however I would reccomend for your Go-to gun trying soemthing different, E-clips are not the best possible solution.

oaklander
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Not only did my e-clip jump out - it somehow got smashed in there and crushed so that it looked like an "I" clip!

:D

I'll probably switch to something like one of these:

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/8214165.JPG

Right now I'm using a super custom *paper clip* that I cut down and installed with a Leatherman. I was at the range, and it was during a Tac Rifle competition - so between stages I borrowed a paper clip and a Leatherman. Worked fine for the rest of the competition.

I just love that I have a gun I can fix with a paper clip.

Also - before I fixed it - I actually shot an entire stage with the hammer pin coming out - the rifle still functioned - just had to reset the trigger manually from time to time.

Pugster
10-27-2007, 9:31 PM
The Sherperd's Hook clip and even the e-clips didn't work too well for me.

+1 for the TAPCO plate.

leelaw
10-27-2007, 10:35 PM
;)http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=238

This is the easy way. Secure as it gets, and literally drops in. Put the two pins in, put this plate in where the stupid little spring normally goes, then put the safety lever back in.

I second the use of this plate! I've got one in each of my AKs and they work very well, install simply, and can be removed just as easily (say that about those e-clips)

oaklander
10-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Right now I have a paper clip holding my hammer pin.

Long story!!!

ar15barrels
10-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Right now I'm using a super custom *paper clip* that I cut down and installed with a Leatherman. I was at the range, and it was during a Tac Rifle competition - so between stages I borrowed a paper clip and a Leatherman. Worked fine for the rest of the competition.

I just love that I have a gun I can fix with a paper clip.

When I went to a Jewel trigger in my AR, it developed a problem where the trigger pin would walk out because the Jewel trigger does not have a pin retention mechanism.
I gues they expect you to use captive pins. :rolleyes:

Of course this manifest itself at a match, but not on the workbench.

I used a piece of target-paster tape on the side that the pin would drift towards and this worked perfect for about a year and a half before I finally put the KNS pins in the lower.

My target-paster tape fix trumps your paperclip. :D

oaklander
10-28-2007, 2:38 AM
LOL - yes!!!

When I went to a Jewel trigger in my AR, it developed a problem where the trigger pin would walk out because the Jewel trigger does not have a pin retention mechanism.
I gues they expect you to use captive pins. :rolleyes:

Of course this manifest itself at a match, but not on the workbench.

I used a piece of target-paster tape on the side that the pin would drift towards and this worked perfect for about a year and a half before I finally put the KNS pins in the lower.

My target-paster tape fix trumps your paperclip. :D

M. Sage
10-28-2007, 12:32 PM
;)

I second the use of this plate! I've got one in each of my AKs and they work very well, install simply, and can be removed just as easily (say that about those e-clips)

I'm very happy I got that plate. I had some bolt-follow problems at the onset with my rifle, so the trigger group has been in and out about half a dozen times before I got everything right (wound up grinding the disconnect shelf on the hammer slightly), which would have been a PITA with e-clips or the retainer spring.

It seems to be a pretty strong plate, so I'm not worried about it flexing. It should actually be stronger than the spring retainer.

oaklander
10-28-2007, 9:46 PM
Couldn't find a vid - but here's some good pics:

http://www.ak47.net/content/guides/assembly/akFCG/

Tweak338
10-28-2007, 9:54 PM
I tried to figure out the wire thing, and said "screw it".
I currently have custom paper clips as well, but I'm ordering the retaining plate right now.

savasyn
10-29-2007, 7:53 PM
My new plate arrived today and it literally took me 2 seconds to get it put in. Well, I wasted 2 hours the other night with the stupid clip but I learned a good lesson. Use a plate!
I'll be on the look out for another one at the Glendale gunshow this weekend.

supersonic
10-31-2007, 3:16 PM
[QUOTE] the Jewel trigger does not have a pin retention mechanism.[QUOTE]

When/from what source did you get your Jewell? They DO come w/ a pin retention device (clip) & have for as long as I've known. It's in the instructions as the last step of installation before adjustment.:confused:

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 3:23 PM
When/from what source did you get your Jewell? They DO come w/ a pin retention device (clip) & have for as long as I've known. It's in the instructions as the last step of installation before adjustment.:confused:

I got it from a guy I shoot with.
I guess that was missing from my Jewel Kit.

simon_sw
11-08-2007, 12:09 PM
+ another 1 for the retaining plate

big negative for the shepherd's crook or hook whatever you'd like to call it. Either way that hook is a PITA.

If you dig up one of the old threads on the AES-10B you'll see that I put one of the tapco plates in my rpk as well. I HIGHLY recommend the plate, you'll save yourself a lot of time and pain by just investing ten bucks for the plate.