PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Gunsmith in San Francisco Bay Area?

Anon02
10-22-2007, 7:03 PM
Hi,
I am looking for a Gunsmith to work on my OLL AR15. Having Feeding issues, and hopefully in the San Francisco Bay Area. Don't know if it ,matters, but it is a 6.8 SPC.
Thank You for any help.

gwl
10-22-2007, 7:27 PM
You can give City Arms in Pacifica a shot (no pun intended).

Anon02
10-22-2007, 8:36 PM
thanks gwl.
I'll give them a call Tuesday.
I was also hoping to speak to M24armorer to see if he wanted to give a try.

ar15barrels
10-22-2007, 9:24 PM
Lemme guess...

Barrel does not have M4 type feedramps?
Bullet tips are jamming into the receiver instead of feeding into the chamber?

AJAX22
10-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Lemme guess...

Barrel does not have M4 type feedramps?
Bullet tips are jamming into the receiver instead of feeding into the chamber?

seen this problem once or twice? ;)

ar15barrels
10-22-2007, 11:48 PM
seen this problem once or twice? ;)

And I have the do-it-yourself solution as well.
I wrote a procedure to mod the feedlips several years ago for this that is referenced in several places as "the randall fix" for 6.8's with feeding problems.

Franksremote
10-22-2007, 11:59 PM
If you/re still stuck call Rich at the shop.

MrLogan
10-23-2007, 12:04 AM
And I have the do-it-yourself solution as well.
I wrote a procedure to mod the feedlips several years ago for this that is referenced in several places as "the randall fix" for 6.8's with feeding problems.

What if I want M4 ramps just to be tacticool? :D BTW, it's not Thursday yet. :p

ar15barrels
10-23-2007, 12:09 AM
What if I want M4 ramps just to be tacticool? :D BTW, it's not Thursday yet. :p

I'd tell you to pull the dremel out of your *** and go to town. ;)
Colt does it.

Anon02
10-23-2007, 1:54 PM
Hi Mr. Rausch,
I actually have the M4 Ramps on the barrel extension installed in a LMT M4 upper receiver ( I bought the barrel from you when you had a special a while ago, just now getting everything together:cool:). I found that it acts up when I use the LMT enhanced bolt.
I borrowed a friends bolt and carrier, and the problem went away. Now I just have to figure how to get things to work with my parts:confused:.

and no, my friend will not give up his bolt:D.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

ar15barrels
10-23-2007, 3:01 PM
Hi Mr. Rausch,
I actually have the M4 Ramps on the barrel extension installed in a LMT M4 upper receiver ( I bought the barrel from you when you had a special a while ago, just now getting everything together:cool:). I found that it acts up when I use the LMT enhanced bolt.
I borrowed a friends bolt and carrier, and the problem went away. Now I just have to figure how to get things to work with my parts:confused:.

and no, my friend will not give up his bolt:D.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Ah, you are short stroking because of the LMT enhanced carrier.
That carrier should only be used in carbine-gassed 223/5.56 barrels.

I recommend using a normal carrier.
It would be bass-ackwards to open up the gas port to CREATE a problem for the carrier to solve when you can just use a regular carrier and NOT have ANY problems.

m24armorer
10-23-2007, 4:43 PM
Ah.....

More short stroke Fu......

Need more suds in the tub.....

Port pressure.

You could put a eye out with that thing......

Only if she missed it:yes:

Anon02
10-23-2007, 6:19 PM
Ah, you are short stroking because of the LMT enhanced carrier.
That carrier should only be used in carbine-gassed 223/5.56 barrels.

I recommend using a normal carrier.
It would be bass-ackwards to open up the gas port to CREATE a problem for the carrier to solve when you can just use a regular carrier and NOT have ANY problems.

Hi Mr Rausch,
I don't believe I am short stroking, I can't even load the first round to fire it (short stroking is incomplete movement of the BCG after firing a round?). It kind of gets stuck with the bolt jammed mid cartridge when going into battery every time with three different Pri Magazines. I have the standard bolt carrier with the LMT emhanced bolt.

Thanks again for the help!

m24armorer
10-23-2007, 9:56 PM
Take the hammer out and see if it will strip a round from the mag.

Anon02
10-24-2007, 7:48 PM
Well, tried what M24armorer suggested with the trigger group out. Got really happy until I realized I put the "good" BCG in to test by mistake.:kest: too many parts on the bench!

With the BCG that is giving me problems the carrier won't strip a round cleanly, and jams the same as when the trigger is installed.

I think it may be the bolt because all other parts are the same as my buddies ( the one that works).:confused:

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

bwiese
10-26-2007, 6:07 PM
Most folks don't need fancy LMT 'enhanced' bolts.

Get a quality regular 6.8SPC bolt and standard carrier.

Anon02
10-27-2007, 9:30 AM
Most folks don't need fancy LMT 'enhanced' bolts.

Get a quality regular 6.8SPC bolt and standard carrier.

That is the conclusion I am reaching also. Thank you for the reply!

ar15barrels
10-27-2007, 5:48 PM
I generally drill gas ports on the minimum side of the acceptable range of sizes.
The enhanced carrier is a fix for a barrel with an oversized gas port.
That's why it won't work with it.

Anon02
10-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks Mr Rausch,
I'll be receiving a new bolt to see if that is the problem. If so, the one from LMT is going to be a very expensive paper weight!:eek:

duraglock
10-31-2007, 4:27 PM
can you handload a round and the bolt will chamber the round?

Anon02
11-04-2007, 9:16 PM
Do you mean that if I can place a round into the chamber, then does the bolt close and the rifle fire? If so, then yes..I can fire the weapon this way, and the round does eject from the rifle in a normal manner. The next round when being stripped from the magazine then jams.
:(

Still waiting on the new bolt to see if that cures the misery!

ar15barrels
11-04-2007, 9:26 PM
Do you mean that if I can place a round into the chamber, then does the bolt close and the rifle fire? If so, then yes..I can fire the weapon this way, and the round does eject from the rifle in a normal manner. The next round when being stripped from the magazine then jams.

What stock, buffer and spring are you using?
Does the bolt lock back on an empty mag?

You have described short stroking to the "T".

duraglock
11-05-2007, 3:14 PM
is your carrier key staked?

ar15barrels
11-05-2007, 5:29 PM
is your carrier key staked?

Per the posts above, it's an LMT carrier.
It's staked.

Anon02
11-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi Mr. Rausch,
The Stock I am using is an LMT SOPMOD with the Mil spec receiver extension, carbine H buffer and spring. When I hand chamber a round and fire the weapon with an empty mag, the bolt does lock back.

What would you recommend?

Thanks again for all the replies!

ar15barrels
11-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi Mr. Rausch,
The Stock I am using is an LMT SOPMOD with the Mil spec receiver extension, carbine H buffer and spring. When I hand chamber a round and fire the weapon with an empty mag, the bolt does lock back.

What would you recommend?

Thanks again for all the replies!

Certainly try a regular carbine buffer.
If you are RIGHT on the edge of function, that might get you working.

Anon02
11-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks will give it a try!

stator
11-11-2007, 7:12 AM
Hi,
I am looking for a Gunsmith to work on my OLL AR15. Having Feeding issues, and hopefully in the San Francisco Bay Area. Don't know if it ,matters, but it is a 6.8 SPC.
Thank You for any help.

What are you using - monsterman, prince, etc.?

Anon02
11-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Update!
New bolt (plain Jane CMT 6.8 bolt) cured the problem. Can't understand why the rifle wouldn't function with the enhanced LMT bolt.:confused:

Thank you everyone for their input!

M5police
12-10-2007, 3:24 PM
Update!
New bolt (plain Jane CMT 6.8 bolt) cured the problem. Can't understand why the rifle wouldn't function with the enhanced LMT bolt.:confused:

Thank you everyone for their input!

I had a friend who brought his LMT rifle from CA to AZ to shoot. The whole time he was bragging how expensive his LMT rifle was blah blah blah blah. He even has a fake Navy SEAL suppressor on it. I thought it was ghey. But he dug it. Anyways it kept jamming non stop. He couldnt get thru 3 rounds before it jammed. My friend a New Orleans Cop took out his bolt and visually couldnt see anything wrong with his over priced enchanced bolt carrier. Till he felt it with his finger nail. It was a tiny burr not visible to the eye. He took out his leatherman and a file and filed away. After that....worked great for 1000 rounds without jamming the rest of the day. Might want to check to see if you have burrs on your LMT bolt. HOpe that helps.

m24armorer
12-10-2007, 4:05 PM
One of my brand new LMT enhanced carriers was full of hairline cracks. I'm sure if I had tried to use it it would have failed.

LMT replaced it with no comment.

Anon02
12-20-2007, 11:09 PM
I had a friend who brought his LMT rifle from CA to AZ to shoot. The whole time he was bragging how expensive his LMT rifle was blah blah blah blah. He even has a fake Navy SEAL suppressor on it. I thought it was ghey. But he dug it. Anyways it kept jamming non stop. He couldnt get thru 3 rounds before it jammed. My friend a New Orleans Cop took out his bolt and visually couldnt see anything wrong with his over priced enchanced bolt carrier. Till he felt it with his finger nail. It was a tiny burr not visible to the eye. He took out his leatherman and a file and filed away. After that....worked great for 1000 rounds without jamming the rest of the day. Might want to check to see if you have burrs on your LMT bolt. HOpe that helps.

Thanks,
I have been away from this site for too long...I have tried to contact LMT about 3 times on their website, but after about 3 weeks I have still not heard from them. I will give my bolt a good look.
Take it easy.

Anon02
12-20-2007, 11:13 PM
One of my brand new LMT enhanced carriers was full of hairline cracks. I'm sure if I had tried to use it it would have failed.

LMT replaced it with no comment.

Thanks M24armorer. BTW..how did you contact LMT? I have used their website e-mail to try to see what they could suggest, but after multiple tries over the last 3 weeks, I have not heard anything from them yet. I probably will wait a few days more, then try the phone next.

ar15barrels
12-20-2007, 11:17 PM
BTW..how did you contact LMT?

There's this little magic box with a bunch of numbers on it.
You pick it up and push a sequence of numbers.
After a short period, you will hear someone's voice coming out of the magic box and they will be able to hear you when you speak back to them. ;)
When someone answers the magic box, ask to speak to Gene.
Gene is the head of quality control and he's the one that makes things happen over there.

Anon02
12-21-2007, 7:27 AM
There's this little magic box with a bunch of numbers on it.
You pick it up and push a sequence of numbers.
After a short period, you will hear someone's voice coming out of the magic box and they will be able to hear you when you speak back to them. ;)
When someone answers the magic box, ask to speak to Gene.
Gene is the head of quality control and he's the one that makes things happen over there.

Hi Mr. Rausch,
:D:D Ha Ha...yeah, I know, but I thought the magic button on the website for technical help would be an avenue to try. I thought they may be slow to answer due to the holidays. I was hoping that I could use the magic of the season to make me shoot better! Have a Merry Christmas:party:

Well,
followed Mr. Rauch's good advice, and LMT was very helpful. I will be sending it back for a quick exam. I then checked my voice mail, and had John from LMT had responded to my email. How's that for Customer service!