PDA

View Full Version : Fly fisherman?

aplinker
10-22-2007, 4:11 PM
Any other California gun enthusiasts that are fly fisherman? Fly tyers?

What are your favorite spots local to you? Where do you go for weekends?

I'm primarily a stream fishing enthusiast and a certified steelhead addict. I'm stuck in LA, so it makes my pursuit significantly more difficult.

Love the Burney area (Pit, Burney Creek, Hat Creek, McCloud...). Enjoy the Owens and Hot Creek. Adore the Trinity.

Always had fun on the Stanislaus & Putah Creek when I was in NorCal. The Delta is a bright spot, too. Love the stripers.

Down here, we've got the San Gabriel R. and Putah Creek. They keep me from losing it when I can't get somewhere worthwhile.

I've also done flats and mangroves in MX and FL, bluewater in MX and FL... A tarpon or dorado jump is the only thing that comes close to the adrenaline of a steelhead.

Anyone done shad on the fly? I keep hearing it's a blast, but never done a trip or targeted them. I have one in the plan for next summer.

Speak up my fellow wader junkies!

emc002
10-23-2007, 7:55 AM
Any other California gun enthusiasts that are fly fisherman? Fly tyers?

What are your favorite spots local to you? Where do you go for weekends?

I used to live in San Diego so I feel your pain. I never went for fly fishing lakes in float tubes, just too boring for me so my choices were very self limiting.
When I was down there I mainly went up to the Mammoth area and fished Hot Creek (weekdays only, hated how crowded it is on the weekends), San Joaquin above Devil's Post Pile (you can do a grand slam there Rainbow, Brown, Brook, Golden) and the creek between Silver and Grant Lakes (June Lake Loop).

Now I'm back home in the Sierra and my fly fishing choices are limitless. Mainly I stay close to home so the American (Middle & South), West & East Carson, East & Little Walker, Mokelumne, Stanislaus and a little on the Sacramento when steelies are running.

Crazyhorse
10-23-2007, 9:08 AM
I had a great time up at Trucky(sp?) river around Tahoe. I snapped the fly off like a champ about 15 times and ended up getting a trout by standing on the bank and dropping the fly on his head. I must say just being out there was great fun but I think I'm more of an armchair fisherman.

Best of luck,
CH

aplinker
10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I've done the float tube thing, but it's not the same feeling. It's not even close. I so much prefer moving water.

I envy your location.

I used to live in San Diego so I feel your pain. I never went for fly fishing lakes in float tubes, just too boring for me so my choices were very self limiting.
When I was down there I mainly went up to the Mammoth area and fished Hot Creek (weekdays only, hated how crowded it is on the weekends), San Joaquin above Devil's Post Pile (you can do a grand slam there Rainbow, Brown, Brook, Golden) and the creek between Silver and Grant Lakes (June Lake Loop).

Now I'm back home in the Sierra and my fly fishing choices are limitless. Mainly I stay close to home so the American (Middle & South), West & East Carson, East & Little Walker, Mokelumne, Stanislaus and a little on the Sacramento when steelies are running.

AKman
10-23-2007, 2:38 PM
I went fly fishing in Oxnard last weekend and caught my limit of flies. It made for a nice Sunday afternoon BBQ.

Actually, I usually fish the E. Sierra between Bishop and the Walker River; usually a combination of lakes and streams. I can't bring myself to use a float tube, but have used a kayak on a few lakes. If I want solitude I drag my kayak up to Red or Blue lakes above Virginia lakes and have the place to myself. The fish are small, but I never keep the fish I catch anyway.

30Cal
10-23-2007, 2:43 PM
I'm in SF Bay Area. It's a huge drive for trout. I fish more in N Carolina than I do here.

Ty

rg_1111@yahoo.com
10-23-2007, 4:25 PM
For steelhead fishing the Trinity River is the Best IMHO.
The greatest tailwalkers you will see in California.

fal_762x51
10-23-2007, 6:29 PM
I tie flies for a friend, but I have never fly fished in my life (I should have taken that fly fishing class in college :chris:). Funny you should mention the Trinity River. The best non-flying technique I've used was yarn on a hook for steelhead.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
10-23-2007, 7:08 PM
Fal,
You want to have a lot of fun. Try a fly rod and fly. Try i once you will be hooked. All pun intend. More of a challenge.
Of course yarn works great for Steelhead and Salmon.

AfricanHunter
10-23-2007, 7:24 PM
I am a fly fishing fanatic(although still relatively new to it). Just went shark fishing on Sunday. Caught a few Blue sharks and a 5' Mako on a fly rod. Broke my 8wt on a small blue but was still a lot of fun. Have you tried surf fishing? I am just getting into it but it can be pretty fun.

I too love trout fishing the most but I can't go trout fishing before/after work and every weekend without driving 5+ hours there and back. You should give it a try.

I just moved to SoCal (live in SD temporarily and work in Newport Beach) so if anyone nearby wants to go fishing. Drop me a line and we will set something up (local or otherwise). Always down to get my rod bent :)

aplinker
10-23-2007, 9:18 PM
The few surf fishing experiences I've had turned me off to it. I walk the beach for hours and end up with 1 little perch.

I should try again. I've thought about taking a class with Ken Hanley. Lack of success is frustrating...

I am a fly fishing fanatic(although still relatively new to it). Just went shark fishing on Sunday. Caught a few Blue sharks and a 5' Mako on a fly rod. Broke my 8wt on a small blue but was still a lot of fun. Have you tried surf fishing? I am just getting into it but it can be pretty fun.

I too love trout fishing the most but I can't go trout fishing before/after work and every weekend without driving 5+ hours there and back. You should give it a try.

I just moved to SoCal (live in SD temporarily and work in Newport Beach) so if anyone nearby wants to go fishing. Drop me a line and we will set something up (local or otherwise). Always down to get my rod bent :)

aplinker
10-23-2007, 9:40 PM
Trinity is beautiful and fantastic...

This year I want to make time to fish the Mattole. Word is that it's quite an experience.

I only caught the steelhead bug a few years ago. To be honest, I was in a funk... my first hookup on a steelie ended that. Now I just wait for nasty weather and rain.

I love "one that got away" stories... here's a recent one... I was fishing up in Oregon on the Rogue. I was targeting steelhead and finding it less than productive, with the exception of sunset. The good water on the Rogue is tough to access and spread out (bigger river, private land on both sides). Decided it was time to get a drift boat, so I convinced another fisherman I met on the river to do a float with me.

Beautiful day, plenty of hook-ups, some decent, but small, steelhead... Not unexpected for so early in the season. The guy I was fishing with wasn't totally clueless, but did a lot of crazy stuff. He'd also talk a lot and lose his focus. He spent near an hour talking about his Woolly Bugger version of an Agent Orange that he tied up the night before and was catching a few on. Real chatty bs-er type, but almost in the good way We're going through a moderately slack section and he's false casting, when I see a steelie doing its wild hookup acrobatics. I'm wondering WTH?! Could someone be hooked up from shore? The fish is leaping, diving, leaping and thrashing, crossing the stream and jumping like it's had its fins on the fire. It was a bright, beautiful 30"+ fish, the kind we'd been hoping for all day. We're all in the boat trying to figure out what's happening, when I see a big black woolly bugger with a big agent orange bead in the girl's mouth as she leaps across the bow. I start busting up. The guy I'm fishing with never even noticed the hook-up during his false casts and busted the fish of the day right off the line! So much for his prized fly.

For steelhead fishing the Trinity River is the Best IMHO.
The greatest tailwalkers you will see in California.

emc002
10-24-2007, 8:25 AM
Maybe a Calguns Fly Fishing/Shooting weekend around Mammoth?

AfricanHunter
10-24-2007, 2:07 PM
I'm in as long as its a weekend

aplinker
10-24-2007, 5:34 PM
Maybe a Calguns Fly Fishing/Shooting weekend around Mammoth?

Wouldn't be a bad idea, though if I'm driving out to Mammoth, I'd rather fish than shoot. :)

Big groups fishing together aren't always good, though. We'd have to split up into beats or rivers, etc. If individuals are real familiar with a section or stream, that would be nice, too. I'm all about learning what nails stuff on certain rivers.

When are you guys thinking, though? I'm kinda already in steelie mode... :D

ar15barrels
10-24-2007, 6:36 PM
I used to flyfish the Owens river when I was a teenager.
Some family friends own the Owens River Ranch.
Anyone familiar with the trout in that area would know the term "alper trout" which are the ones that Tim Alpers grows.

I have not flyfished in years though, but I still have my flyrods (except the one that got sucked out of a raft on the sacramento river years ago) and my fly-tying gear.
I almost got into rod wrapping before I got serious into RC cars and then guns as I got old enough to own my own.

AKman
10-24-2007, 8:40 PM
I used to flyfish the Owens river when I was a teenager.
Some family friends own the Owens River Ranch.
Anyone familiar with the trout in that area would know the term "alper trout" which are the ones that Tim Alpers grows.

I have not flyfished in years though, but I still have my flyrods (except the one that got sucked out of a raft on the sacramento river years ago) and my fly-tying gear.
I almost got into rod wrapping before I got serious into RC cars and then guns as I got old enough to own my own.

"Alper trout?" Why would you want to catch those itty bitty little five pounders?

ar15barrels
10-24-2007, 9:50 PM
"Alper trout?" Why would you want to catch those itty bitty little five pounders?

I stopped fishing in his stock ponds when I was 9 or 10.
A little bit after that, Tim taught me to flyfish and I stuck to the natives in the stretch of Owens River that runs through the ranch.

Thrillbilly
10-25-2007, 2:58 PM
I got into the sport earlier this year when my father-in-law was talking smack and said I should fly fish if I wanted to really fish. He ended up giving me his fly rod and reel after his last stroke. I posted a couple threads in this forum from some of my trips. When I was still in CA I would practice casting at Brite Lake and I managed to go on several trips to the Eastern Sierras prior to the move. I for one am totally hooked on the sport (even passing up quite a few trips to the range so I could head up the 395)

AKman
10-26-2007, 2:43 PM
I stopped fishing in his stock ponds when I was 9 or 10.
A little bit after that, Tim taught me to flyfish and I stuck to the natives in the stretch of Owens River that runs through the ranch.

Thats more like it...