PDA

View Full Version : "Want to change things" thread got me thinking...community service a better answer?

tgriffin
10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I think we can all, for the most part, agree that marches and demonstrations will not work (for the reasons mentioned in the other thread) to bolster public opinion regarding 2A rights.

How about some community service?

I would be willing to organize and support a group that offered no cost firearms training for battered women. Can you imagine the positive press, not to mention the civil service that could provide? I'm a Diablo Rod and Gun Club (United Sportsmans Range near Willow Pass/Highway 4) member, and hopefully could get some range / RSO time donated. I would be willing to spend my time, money, and ammo to support that.

We could offer the service to the battered womens shelters in the area, and if we could get members who have ties to the other ranges (Chabot, Livermore, Richmond Rod & Gun, etc.) get area-specific chapters to make the logistics easier.

What say you all?

odesskiy
10-22-2007, 11:52 AM
The idea of educating the community is good, however imagine that one of these battered women decides to get revenge, buys a gun and blows away her abuser. What kind of press are you going to get then?

tgriffin
10-22-2007, 12:37 PM
The idea of educating the community is good, however imagine that one of these battered women decides to get revenge, buys a gun and blows away her abuser. What kind of press are you going to get then?

Well, I see im going to have to put my personal feelings aside regarding karma for this discussion.

That could still happen anyway, regardless of if she received training. I'd still rather see a woman capable of defending herself rather than a beaten and broken woman making the news as the latest casualty of domestic abuse.

mk19
10-22-2007, 1:01 PM
I had a similar idea awhile back which involved teaching self defense and also fire arms awareness and safety. and ofcourse making ppl aware of the 2A rights. mine was mainly to avoid sloughters that keep happening in schools.

Can'thavenuthingood
10-22-2007, 1:14 PM
I think its an idea worth exploring.

Set it up like you would with any business plan.

Analyse your target market,
demographics, numbers & age groups
insurance needs vs requirements,
site locations,
transportation expenses,
food
equipment costs and maintenance.
curriculuum development
class supplies, workbooks
gov permits, licensing, non profit?
instructor availability

For starters I go over to city hall first and feel them out.

Vick

CitaDeL
10-22-2007, 1:19 PM
Okay- perhaps not battered women with a grudge to settle....

But how about seminars for firearms safety for Scouts, or for juveniles in general? Get involved with youth sports- and offer it as an opportunity. Maybe bring it into a competition, just like little league. Maybe it could take the form of Father/Son or Mother/Daughter seminars/competitions.

How about community clean up?.... Neighborhood watch?... Get gun shops and indoor ranges involved with sponsorships-...

Just throwing some ideas out there...

What Just Happened?
10-22-2007, 1:34 PM
The Boy Scout thing would be a good idea. The BSA (Boy Scouts of America) program has a merit badge for rifle shooting and another for shotgun shooting. The only thing for this is that you need a BSA-certified _______ shooting merit badge counselor and a place to do the shooting (not too difficult as most ranges shouldn't mind the business).

jjperl
10-22-2007, 2:10 PM
I like the idea, but why not just open it up to anyone open minded, instead of just cater to one group?

aplinker
10-22-2007, 2:14 PM
The Boy Scout thing would be a good idea. The BSA (Boy Scouts of America) program has a merit badge for rifle shooting and another for shotgun shooting. The only thing for this is that you need a BSA-certified _______ shooting merit badge counselor and a place to do the shooting (not too difficult as most ranges shouldn't mind the business).

+1 on scouts.

You'll have an audience that's already geared for it.

A good portion of my shooting skills were honed in scouting. The scout camp I went to had a rifle range. I spent about 4 of the 8 hours of free time, every day, shooting. I'm betting I "earned" my Rifle merit badge 10X's over.

I really think kids are a great opportunity. Churches are a good place to start, too. Friends from the neighborhood and work.

Taking people to shoot is a big deal, guys. It helps people not be fearful; to realize there's something enjoyable about guns.

I see such a big focus by pro-RKBA that it's a constitutional right that I think it's forgotten that even those rights can be overturned by a vote! If the people aren't for it, it can't stand.

tgriffin
10-22-2007, 2:21 PM
So far so good everyone! Im really glad everyone has ideas to share. Keep the ideas coming! If you have a specific idea to share, such as the Boy Scout thing, I encourage you to spin it off into a new thread. I plan on making a new thread for the battered womens idea if it garners support.

tgriffin
10-22-2007, 2:24 PM
I like the idea, but why not just open it up to anyone open minded, instead of just cater to one group?

My only thoughts as to why, at least the battered womans, should be a catered to group because of the nature of the training, skill level, etc.

I would certainly train scouts differently than I would battered women, and while I havent mentioned previously, I think the idea of incorporating legal information and perhaps even offering couseling at same time would be a good idea. Not sure the scouts would want to hang around for that :cool2:

dwtt
10-22-2007, 3:49 PM
How about some community service?

I would be willing to organize and support a group that offered no cost firearms training for battered women. Can you imagine the positive press, not to mention the civil service that could provide? I'm a Diablo Rod and Gun Club (United Sportsmans Range near Willow Pass/Highway 4) member, and hopefully could get some range / RSO time donated. I would be willing to spend my time, money, and ammo to support that.

We could offer the service to the battered womens shelters in the area, and if we could get members who have ties to the other ranges (Chabot, Livermore, Richmond Rod & Gun, etc.) get area-specific chapters to make the logistics easier.

What say you all?
The NRA has a program called Women on Target, and it's for this purpose. However, it's up to the clubs and ranges to carry out the program by sponsoring training days. If you can get the Diablo Rod and Gun Club to allow a training day at the range, then you should take a look at the NRA's web site for the Women on Target program. They have materials available for no cost or low cost.

mk19
10-22-2007, 4:35 PM
I believe we should cater to anyone who is willing. I am pretty sure there are groups that wold love to spnsor this. oh and am not so sure about the jouvenile thing.

tgriffin
10-22-2007, 4:58 PM
I believe we should cater to anyone who is willing. I am pretty sure there are groups that wold love to spnsor this. oh and am not so sure about the jouvenile thing.

I absolutly agree with you that anyone and everyone should be able to find someone and someplace to learn how to shoot and protect themselves.

My only point, and I cant stress this enough, is that I would think battered women should meet wednesday night and the boyscouts on friday after school (you get my point?). It would be a hellva lot easier to train and focus on one "group" at a time.

dwtt
10-22-2007, 8:29 PM
My only point, and I cant stress this enough, is that I would think battered women should meet wednesday night and the boyscouts on friday after school (you get my point?). It would be a hellva lot easier to train and focus on one "group" at a time.
If you can get some range time at your club, I'll help you organize and conduct a Women on Target session. I'm not an instructor, or certified to do anything, I'm just another NRA member.

tgriffin
10-23-2007, 8:43 AM
If you can get some range time at your club, I'll help you organize and conduct a Women on Target session. I'm not an instructor, or certified to do anything, I'm just another NRA member.

Wonderful! I'll have to wait for the next club meeting, but I will be sure to bring it up and see if we can get this ball rolling.

AJAX22
10-23-2007, 9:45 AM
I think the maximum positive impact would be realised through offering a no-cost oppertunity for college professors to learn the basics of how to shoot a gun as well as safe handling/storage procedures.

Educate the educators so the missinformation stops seeping out. One motivated professor can bring thousands over to our side every year.

Teaching battered women isn't a bad idea... and would probably be good press, but for long term impact I say cater to the professors.

Charliegone
10-23-2007, 11:39 AM
You know you guys are on to something. I think most the things some of you have suggested are good ideas, but I think we also need to focus on college students, as this is where a lot mental stimulation is going on which can change or reaffirm their views. The antis have won us in this area as you know, you hear lots of misinformation regarding firearms and self defense in general. While we can get some professors on our side, some of them have already made up their minds and won't change their positions (you know how grumpy and stubborn some old people are :p). Just a suggestion.