PDA

View Full Version : High cap mags for use with post ban pistol?

hkuspc40
10-22-2007, 10:12 AM
I have purchased a P226 with high cap magazinges prior to the high capacity magazine ban. I recently have sold my P226, but have kept the magazines. I plan to purchase a P226 Navy, which is made available after the high capacity magazine ban to my knowledge, and would like to use the high capacity magazines with the P226 Navy. Am I breaking the law? Thanks in advance!

timmy8151
10-22-2007, 10:14 AM
You're not breaking any laws

hoffmang
10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
As long as you don't have to modify the large-capacity magazine to make it work with a different firearm, you are doing nothing illegal using legally owned large caps in different firearms.

Note that that does imply you could modify a firearm to accept more common magazines...

-Gene

FongP
10-22-2007, 8:32 PM
huh? foreal? so what if someone went to nevada or something, bought a large cap and brought it back. then claimed that they owned it before the ban? how would there be any way to prove that? confusing laws...

ZombieKiller
10-22-2007, 8:37 PM
Here it goes again......

hoffmang
10-22-2007, 8:47 PM
huh? foreal? so what if someone went to nevada or something, bought a large cap and brought it back. then claimed that they owned it before the ban? how would there be any way to prove that? confusing laws...

Please don't advocate doing illegal things like importing large-capacity magazines.

If you owned a large-capacity magazine before 1/1/2000 and you don't have to modify it to use it, you can possess and use it freely.

-Gene

NeoWeird
10-22-2007, 9:24 PM
Actually you CAN modify a high cap magazine as long as it still functions in the firearm it was designed for after the modification. If it can't be used in it's original firearm then you just made a new high cap magazine, even if you owned it prior to the ban.

A good example:

You own a 9mm AR and a 32 round Sten magazine. Welding a block on the Sten magazine to fit the AR mag well, thus not allowing it to fit the Sten mag well would be making a new magazine. Cutting a hole in the Sten mag body to engage the AR mag release with the use of a 9mm AR mag block would be perfectly acceptable as long as the modification did not prohibit the magazine from being used in the Sten.

hoffmang
10-22-2007, 9:25 PM
Neo: I would tend to agree with you but hadn't thought it all the way through.

-Gene

hkuspc40
10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Hoffmang, Timmy, thanks for the feedback. Apparently all the assault rifle laws kinda blurred me from what I can or cannot do when it comes to pistol mags. Peace.

bwiese
10-22-2007, 10:37 PM
HK,

Just to reinforce the above, I'm in somewhat the same position. I had a 226, sold it, but kept a bunch of hicap mags. When I get a 226 again I'm all set.

I also bought hicap mags in 1999 for guns I didn't (or currently don't) own.

FongP
10-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Please don't advocate doing illegal things like importing large-capacity magazines.

If you owned a large-capacity magazine before 1/1/2000 and you don't have to modify it to use it, you can possess and use it freely.

-Gene

by no means am I advocating it. Just a simple question of how this law can be true. But if you say so, then thats fine by me. as for me, i still wont be caught using anything with >10 cap. 1 shot is all it takes to scare someone outta my house. and if i needed more than 10, i really shoud have taken shooting classes.

bountyhunter
10-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I have purchased a P226 with high cap magazinges prior to the high capacity magazine ban. I recently have sold my P226, but have kept the magazines. I plan to purchase a P226 Navy, which is made available after the high capacity magazine ban to my knowledge, and would like to use the high capacity magazines with the P226 Navy. Am I breaking the law? Thanks in advance!

No. As long as those mags stay in your possession, you can do anything you want with them.

bountyhunter
10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
As long as you don't have to modify the large-capacity magazine to make it work with a different firearm, you are doing nothing illegal using legally owned large caps in different firearms.

Note that that does imply you could modify a firearm to accept more common magazines...

-Gene

The OFFICIAL word from my buddies at the DOJ in Sacramento is that you can indeed modify the magazines.... as long as they still work for their intended purpose. In other words, if you tweak a .40 mag to hold 9mm and it still feeds .40, you are OK. If it no longer feeds .40 as originally intended, you have "manufactured" a new 9mm magazine.

Don't ask me how Big Brother would know that.....:D

bountyhunter
10-23-2007, 12:39 PM

I don't know how they would prove it, but if the seller kept a record of the sale your butt would be toast.....

aplinker
10-23-2007, 12:39 PM
You can not manufacture, import or sell hi-cap mags. Buying mags in NV is legal, but bringing them here is illegal importation.

The burden of proof is on the state to prove you did not possess them prior to the ban. You do not need to prove you had them before then. That's the way laws work.

The hi-cap magazine exists as its own entity. It is not tied to a gun. Plenty of people bought mags for firearms they did not own, just in case they ever wanted the guns.

by no means am I advocating it. Just a simple question of how this law can be true. But if you say so, then thats fine by me. as for me, i still wont be caught using anything with >10 cap. 1 shot is all it takes to scare someone outta my house. and if i needed more than 10, i really shoud have taken shooting classes.

bountyhunter
10-23-2007, 12:45 PM
You can not manufacture, import or sell hi-cap mags. It's not even legal to lend them or give them to another person in the state of Kali.:mad:

Harbinger
10-23-2007, 12:53 PM
It must be Tuesday again. :rolleyes:

QuarterBoreGunner
10-23-2007, 12:58 PM
...yeah and some day I'll get a Para Ordnance P14 and/or a Glock 21 to go with them.

aplinker
10-23-2007, 12:59 PM
It's not even legal to lend them or give them to another person in the state of Kali.:mad:

Lend, give, will, inherit... no permanent exchanges.

You can, however, allow someone to use them in your presence (like at the range).

bwiese
10-23-2007, 1:05 PM
It's not even legal to lend them or give them to another person in the state of Kali.:mad:

Partially wrong. It is entirely legal to lend them to another person as long as that person is in your presence - that is, he's shooting in the next land and borrows one of your hicaps.

leelaw
10-23-2007, 1:54 PM

So you shoot to scare, eh?

Save money on bullets and get a pump-action shotgun and just rack the thing whenever someone breaks in.

glockk9mm
10-23-2007, 2:51 PM

I did the same thing, I bought hi-cap mags before I was 21 for guns I wanted, before the 2000 ban was going to take place. I am happy I did it, I own legal mags. :D

FongP
10-24-2007, 2:59 AM
So you shoot to scare, eh?

Save money on bullets and get a pump-action shotgun and just rack the thing whenever someone breaks in.

honestly, i'd prefer to scare someone out before splattering my beautiful home with blood and guts. and more explanations to the cops about what happened. =)

halifax
10-24-2007, 4:14 AM
So what about giving/selling high capacity magazines to a dealer that has a Large Capacity Magazine Permit clearly displayed in their business or LEO for personal use. You are the one giving/selling which is against the law but it's still OK, right?

randy
10-24-2007, 4:42 AM
Ok here's a question. Let's say for the sake of argument I have two 30 round mags for my Ar that are broken. One of them has a cracked feed lip the other has a broken ears on the bottom. Can I cut them in pieces and weld them together and if they hold more than 30 rounds is that ok? They started out over 10 rounds, and they still work in the intended firearm. I haven't manufactured something that it wasn't to begin with. Meaning over 10 rounds. I have only repaired them.

Is there a difference between that and having a 15 round Glock mag and putting on a extended base pad to make it hold 20 something?

Thanks

Suvorov
10-24-2007, 7:51 AM
honestly, i'd prefer to scare someone out before splattering my beautiful home with blood and guts. and more explanations to the cops about what happened. =)

Then I suggest buying a big dog and not a gun. Or, maybe some of those noise makers they are selling around Halloween. Maybe the crook will think your house in haunted and stay away :confused:

ohsmily
10-24-2007, 8:05 AM
Ok here's a question. Let's say for the sake of argument I have two 30 round mags for my Ar that are broken. One of them has a cracked feed lip the other has a broken ears on the bottom. Can I cut them in pieces and weld them together and if they hold more than 30 rounds is that ok? They started out over 10 rounds, and they still work in the intended firearm. I haven't manufactured something that it wasn't to begin with. Meaning over 10 rounds. I have only repaired them.

Is there a difference between that and having a 15 round Glock mag and putting on a extended base pad to make it hold 20 something?

Thanks

You could replace the bodies of BOTH of those magazines with 40-round bodies if you want to. You can repair any of your standard capacity magazines.

Stormfeather
10-24-2007, 9:05 AM
It must be Tuesday again. :rolleyes:

:beatdeadhorse5:
Actually, its wednesday now, can we please move to the "is this legal to put on my ar?" topic :beatdeadhorse5: Search Button is your friend. . . use it.

Stormfeather
10-24-2007, 9:08 AM
Ok here's a question. . . .
Thanks

wow, cmon Randy, you actually didnt just say this did you? Is there even such a thing in existence, or is this like microstamping? Not in existence yet, but it could be in a few years given the advances in technology. . . .

hkuspc40
10-24-2007, 9:59 AM
Halifax's reply raises a good question. Is it possible to take your beat-up broken 30 rd AR mag or even hi cap pistol mags to a dealer or store in CA and purchase new magazines with the exact capacity? Theoretically, you are replacing the broken ones w/ the new ones right? On the other hand, if it's against the law for dealers to sell those type of mags to except for LEO, then maybe this notion won't fly.

Sgt Raven
10-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Halifax's reply raises a good question. Is it possible to take your beat-up broken 30 rd AR mag or even hi cap pistol mags to a dealer or store in CA and purchase new magazines with the exact capacity? Theoretically, you are replacing the broken ones w/ the new ones right? On the other hand, if it's against the law for dealers to sell those type of mags to except for LEO, then maybe this notion won't fly.

You can replace a broken mag tube with a new mag tube, you can replace worn out springs, you can replace a worn out follower, as long as 1 part of a damaged mag remains you can replace the rest with new parts.

ohsmily
10-24-2007, 11:43 AM
You can replace a broken mag tube with a new mag tube, you can replace worn out springs, you can replace a worn out follower, as long as 1 part of a damaged mag remains you can replace the rest with new parts.

*sigh*...please cite the law which mandates that you have 1 part of the damaged magazine remaining when you replace parts on it. Did you just make this up yourself? I happen to know that you can't cite any code to support your claim because you are wrong.

You can replace EVERY PART of your standard capacity magazine and have all new parts on it. Just make sure that you aren't manufacturing a "new" high capacity magazine. You might ask, "well isn't replacing every part making a new magazine"...no, because you started with one magazine and ended with one magazine; you aren't making a new magazine to increase your count of magazines. Just makes sure that you end with the same number of high caps that you started with. Do not make new additional magazines.

randy
10-24-2007, 3:08 PM
wow, cmon Randy, you actually didnt just say this did you? Is there even such a thing in existence, or is this like microstamping? Not in existence yet, but it could be in a few years given the advances in technology. . . .

There is a big business and more than a couple companies building them currently. Some of them work great.

phish
10-24-2007, 3:14 PM

:beatdeadhorse5:

phish
10-24-2007, 3:19 PM

too much Halo 3

:rolleyes: