PDA

View Full Version : XD 9 rusting

justinLB
10-22-2007, 8:43 AM
Hi I have owned my xd9 for 4 years now and over the past year or so the slide has been getting some light rust on it. It usually forms after a desert shooting trip and is always cleaned off then a light coat of clp applied. I also store the pistol in a silicon pistol case and then put it in my safe that has a golden rod. Should I contact springfield and inform them about my problem?
Also the loaded chamber indicator is ALWAYS notched up, it was like this when I bought the gun new from turners but it works perfect so I didnt really care. So I'm thinking that if I send the slide to get refinished they could fix the chamber indicator too.

oghl888
10-22-2007, 9:03 AM
Hi I have owned my xd9 for 4 years now and over the past year or so the slide has been getting some light rust on it. It usually forms after a desert shooting trip and is always cleaned off then a light coat of clp applied. I also store the pistol in a silicon pistol case and then put it in my safe that has a golden rod. Should I contact springfield and inform them about my problem?
Also the loaded chamber indicator is ALWAYS notched up, it was like this when I bought the gun new from turners but it works perfect so I didnt really care. So I'm thinking that if I send the slide to get refinished they could fix the chamber indicator too.

The earlier XD's have this rusting problem. I believe they fixed it by treating the slide differently now (I think it's the same treatment as Glock: Tenifer or Black Melonite). I would definitely call the factory and have them fix both the rusting issue and the loaded chamber indicator.

Miltiades
10-22-2007, 9:51 AM
I do not own an XD but have read many gun chat postings over the years by XD owners who have the same problem. It appears to be (or maybe have been, if they fixed it) a problem with that brand of gun.

It sounds like you are doing everything within reason to combat the problem, such as keeping the gun clean and lubricated, and storing it in a dry place. As you suggested, you could refinish the slide to give more protection from rust.

In the future when you buy a new gun, you might consider a stainless steel slide along with an aluminum or polymer frame. I have quite a few stainless guns and have never had any rusting problems.

proraptor
10-22-2007, 10:27 AM
this is a known problem with early xd's send it back and they will fix it

ocabj
10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Just an FYI: You only need to send in your slide. So it's cheap shipping.

dicast
10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I got the same issue with my xd9. keep us up to date, how springfield handle this issue.

ocabj
10-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I got the same issue with my xd9. keep us up to date, how springfield handle this issue.

It's a known fact that Springfield will do warranty support for older Tenifer coated XD. These are usually XDs produced prior to 2006.

cactus
10-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info im experiencing this exact same issue!

thomasanelson
10-22-2007, 12:26 PM
I had rusting on my XD40 slide and barrel. Emailed pics to SA and they said to send back to CS. I sent only the upper. It came back a few weeks later looking better than new. They paid for everything except for my shipping to them....which I did not pursue payment of. The CS is A-OK. You can see before and after pics at: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/560868853SnIaUp

PS: Send the rusting as is...don't clean it off before sending.

cgmoe
10-22-2007, 9:30 PM
My bro has a Bi-Tone XD9 that had some rusting on the barrel. I'll have to tell him to send it back to SA

cactus
10-26-2007, 11:45 AM
I called the 800 number for springfield last wednesday and the slide was shipped thursday. Got to love a company with customer service like that! They said there was a problem with the original finish and they would take care of it. Unless I wanted to send it to the custom shop ( very tempting by the way). As stated before all I have to pay is the shipping to IL. So for the rest of you guys give them a call get your reference number and get it fixed.

jaymz
10-26-2007, 12:18 PM
When the rust issue happend on mine, I sent the entire gun and Springield refinished every peice of metal on it. It came back looking better than it did when it was NIB.

Blue
10-26-2007, 1:53 PM
Mine does it also. I wipe it down with CLP every now and then and it keeps the rust at bay. I've thought about sending it in, but I've come to like the worn hardcore look.

cactus
10-26-2007, 7:14 PM
When I talked to them they said if there was rust any were else send the whole thing in and they would fix it. The frame and all other parts are completely rust free. I bought the thing second hand and because it was a sub compact I figured some one wore it concealed close to the body. Ive hear sweat is hell on gun finishes but thanks to you guys its getting fixed and for free. Thanks everyone for your contributions!