PDA

View Full Version : ...

DedEye
10-22-2007, 1:08 AM

shark92651
10-22-2007, 1:12 AM
Join through this link and I get a "cookie" :)

http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XS019050

jumbopanda
10-22-2007, 1:14 AM
Hmm I don't know of any sort of referral benefit or student discount. But remember that your membership money is helping in the fight for the RKBA, which is the reason you want to join the NRA to begin with. :)

AfricanHunter
10-22-2007, 1:23 AM
Good For You DedEye!!

Can'thavenuthingood
10-22-2007, 1:39 AM
You'll also want to contribute to NRA-ILA http://nraila.org/ a separate entity for legislative matters.

This ain't about Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians or mother earth. Its about control.

If you wonder what any politician or bureaucrat thinks about your freedoms, watch how they handle your right to a firearm and your obligations to self defense.

Vick

AfricanHunter
10-22-2007, 1:49 AM
Does any of the money from NRA Memberships/donations go to the ILA? I generally donate to both but more to the NRA. Is one a higher priority then the other or should I give to both equally?

Can'thavenuthingood
10-22-2007, 2:11 AM
According to their site, a small amount from NRA membership dues goes to the ILA.
Its a personal choice as far as how much to give to which entity. You have to stay informed of the issues and contribute accordingly, its a never ending skirmish.

Vick

http://www.nraila.org/About/PoliticalVictoryFund/

The fund-raising that sustains NRA’s legislative activities is conducted by ILA. Federal and many state election laws dictate that funds used to assist candidates for office must be raised separately, and that is the task of NRA’s political action committee—the NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) (http://www.nrapvf.org/). Neither NRA member dues nor contributions to ILA can be used directly for the election or defeat of candidates.
Because of these clearly defined parameters, and because only a small fraction of ILA’s operating budget comes from regular NRA membership dues, both ILA and NRA-PVF (http://www.nrapvf.org/) must continuously raise the funds needed to sustain NRA’s legislative and political activities. The resources expended in these arenas come from the generous contributions of NRA members—above and beyond their regular dues.
While NRA doesn’t expect every member to contribute to every fund-raising mailing, the mailers do double as legislative alerts, providing important information that empowers members to take specific actions: calling lawmakers, writing letters or completing and returning postcards. Sending solicitations periodically allows NRA to keep its members informed on the issues and threats gun owners face, while attempting to accommodate individual member budgets. Raising the tens of millions of dollars needed every year to defend Second Amendment rights is no small task. But, in order for NRA to meet the challenges gun owners face head on in the legislative and political arenas, it is a necessity.

TheDM
10-22-2007, 4:46 AM
I personally recommend the EPL or easy pay life membership, that is what I did. You pay 25bucks a quarter till your life membership is paid for, they send you a bill, every quarter, it's really easy on the wallet that way. It also gives them a steady stream of donations they can count on.

Welcome aboard!

Nefarious
10-22-2007, 6:23 AM
I personally recommend the EPL or easy pay life membership, that is what I did. You pay 25bucks a quarter till your life membership is paid for, they send you a bill, every quarter, it's really easy on the wallet that way. It also gives them a steady stream of donations they can count on.

Welcome aboard!

I did not know that. No reason now NOT to be a life member. Ill have to look into it when I get home

Paladin
10-22-2007, 7:43 AM
I've been putting it off for far too long, in no small part because I'm a Democrat and was having difficulty joining an organization that usually tries to elect politicians who I disagree with on most matters besides guns. With the passage of the microstamping and lead ammo bills, though, I've been stirred to join.If just joining the NRA is difficult for you, you'll really want to retch with a suggestion I made awhile ago, "Why pro-RKBA CA liberals and Dems MUST vote for pro-gun Repubs for several elections"
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=55793

chris
10-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Welcome aboard!

Did the same i have EPL. great way to get a life membership. :)

mcubed4130
10-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Welcome aboard!

+1 on EPL; I that's what I used for myself when I first joined the NRA; I did the 1 year deal for my wife.

After doing a lot of reading - and then asking the actual question here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54271

I realized; that in general - my lack of seeing the NRA stamp on things in CA was by design and that back room brokered deals; where to the Leftist controlled Media, Leftist controlled State Assembly, Leftist controlled Senate, and RINO controlled Executive Branch - it must look like the anti's are winning by raw numbers...

But in reality a slow incremental track to bring PRK back into the USA is underway; and the NRA is actively participating; is why I ended up - upgrading my wife to EPL as well.

As for the topics of which party... I was "D" for decades; I was a "R" for decades... all I can say is... You might as well be rooting for the "49ers vs the Raiders" - at the end of the day; the color of the uniforms are different... but they are all football players; and those players will end up on each others teams over time anyway... When you read what these people do in the "public eye" vs. "what they do when they think no one is noticing"... you'll find that other than in general "what they let people see they are doing" - is no different. Don't vote for the party - vote for the person.

-M3

AKman
10-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Xenonics Holdings is offering a free NRA Life membership if you order their SuperVison night vision scope factory-direct and pay their full list price. See:

http://www.xenonics.com/SuperVision/offer.php

oaklander
10-22-2007, 7:22 PM
Also - if you join the NRA at a gun show - you get a discount. That's how I first joined - then I got the Life Membership via EPL. . .

:D

LECTRIKHED
10-22-2007, 7:55 PM
I joined in January. I'm pretty annoyed in them. It seems to me like they have abandoned California. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but I didn't see them do anything when those laws were being passed. I haven't seen them step in and help solve the OLL issue.

Next year I'm joining the JPFO.

oaklander
10-22-2007, 8:01 PM
I joined in January. I'm pretty annoyed in them. It seems to me like they have abandoned California. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but I didn't see them do anything when those laws were being passed. I haven't seen them step in and help solve the OLL issue.

The NRA actually is the only gun rights organization to have a full time lobbyist in Sacramento. In fact, the NRA ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) has three offices - two on the East Coast, and one in Sacramento. Join your local Member's Council, and you will get a sense of the stuff that the NRA does at a grassroots level, as well as stuff they do in Sacto and DC.

mcubed4130
10-22-2007, 8:15 PM

NRA - in reality; functions much like most large companies I've worked for... they have internal red tape; they have the standard NIH complex (Not Invented Here); etc... but... I have it on good authority that... things like, the section below in italics - which I bolded; was a direct NRA deal.

So; give them crap when they screw up... but look carefully at what they do - as their standard mode of operation in CA; appears to be the stealth sneak attack not the frontal assault. Don't forget wars aren't won; by the number of people killed running headlong into machine gun fire... they are won by out-maneuvering the enemy and making them give up.

-M3

AB 1471: amended on 07/05/2007
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_1451-1500/ab_1471_bill_20070705_amended_sen_v97.html

(7) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that
are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 12131, it
is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters
that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol,
etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior
surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are
transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is
fired , provided that the Department of Justice certifies that
the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than
one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions. The
Attorney General may also approve a method of equal or
greater reliability and effectiveness in identifying the specific
serial number of a firearm from spent cartridge casings discharged by
that firearm than that which is set forth in this paragraph, to be
thereafter required as otherwise set forth by this paragraph where
the Attorney General certifies that this new method is also
unencumbered by any patent restrictions. Approval by the Attorney
General shall include notice of that fact via regulations adopted by
the Attorney General for purposes of implementing that
method for purposes of this paragraph .

jjperl
10-22-2007, 8:53 PM
I need to join again, my membership ran out years ago.

CCWFacts
10-22-2007, 9:41 PM

The NRA has not abandoned CA, far from it. The JPFO has abandoned political and pragmatic reality, and accomplish little or nothing.

The NRA is very quiet in this state, because the last thing a politician here wants is an NRA endorsement. NRA endorsement of a bill will kill it also. So they work without putting their name out all over the place.

They do need to retool their marketing image and brand if they want to use it openly in this state.

williamkwong
10-22-2007, 10:36 PM
I just got my Cal Rifle and Pistol Association membership packet. :D

mcubed4130
10-22-2007, 10:52 PM
I just got my Cal Rifle and Pistol Association membership packet. :D

As was discussed previously... CRPA has it's issues as well... and they appear to be more of a problem than the NRA based stuff.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54271

BUT... my CRPA membership does qualify me to buy M1 Garands from CMP! ;)

-M3

Army
10-23-2007, 1:25 AM

NRA was instrumental in bringing the lawsuit against the city of SF, and getting the handgun ban overturned.

NRA is not a legislative body, but a lobby group. They cannot make or pass law, but they can influence the final version of the law. The micro-stamp addition is a good example.

The NRA is us, you and I. You can't simply give the NRA $35 and say, "I'm a member, where's my concealed carry?" Write your representatives.......THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR....contact your Congressman and Senators, and tell them your feelings, beliefs, thoughts, concerns, and worries, then give them praise when it's earned.

Mostly-----VOTE EACH AND EVERY ELECTION, FROM LOCAL TO NATIONAL. It's your gun owning future that I'm worried about. The 2nd Amend means squat to too many politicians, you should be hellbent on reminding them about it.

BlueOvalBruin
10-23-2007, 11:37 PM
The NRA actually is the only gun rights organization to have a full time lobbyist in Sacramento. In fact, the NRA ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) has three offices - two on the East Coast, and one in Sacramento. Join your local Member's Council, and you will get a sense of the stuff that the NRA does at a grassroots level, as well as stuff they do in Sacto and DC.

Sometimes I listen to the NRA show on Sirius radio (chan 144 from 6-9pm). Most of their discussions relate to legislative issues around the country and they discuss California quite often. Sometimes it feels like they broadcast from here. From hearing interviews with NRA execs and lawyers, it seems like they think California is a pretty high priority. They mentioned how some states try to copy California, but less now than in the past. I'm sure there could have been more done regarding the lead ammo ban and microstamping, but I don't think they abandoned us.

crunchy2k
10-24-2007, 6:57 AM
Kewl, whatever it takes. In my mind, if u own a firearm you should be a life member of the NRA. Most of the wakos are dead or gone from the NRA.

Done! I don't know if I'm offically an NRA member yet or when I receive my card, but I have officially applied for NRA membership.

Confession time: part of the reason I joined is because I plan on applying for a job with the NRA fairly soon for when I graduate in the spring, and I thought they might look favorably upon me being a member first. I'm still kicking myself that I waited until the lead ammo ban and microstamping passed, but better late than never.

ibanezfoo
10-24-2007, 9:21 AM
Just be careful they don't try to sue you. I ditched my NRA membership after I was threatened by them a few years ago. I only recently rejoined just to get the heads up on bills and whatnot.

-Bryan