PDA

View Full Version : Status of old Eagle Arms .223 Lower?

joe4702
10-21-2007, 2:33 PM
I apologize if this has been discussed before. I did a search and didn't find a thread regarding this specific lower.

It's a quite old Eagle Arms (pre-Armalite) lower, which is marked:

Eagle Arms
EA-15

Looking at the Kasler list, I see the following:

Eagle Arms
M15 (all)
EA-15 A2 H-BAR
EA-15 E1

Armalite
AR 10 (all)
M 15 (all)
Golden Eagle

Since the exact designation doesn't appear on the Kasler list, is this considered an OLL?

I didn't see this lower listed in the OLL list, hence my uncertainly.

Thanks for any info,
Joe

bwiese
10-21-2007, 2:42 PM
It's awfully close.

I recommend not acquiring it - or if perchance you actually had one, surrendering/ destroying it.

There is a fair defense, but why spend $5K to fight "son of Harrott" over a crappy $100 lower when a Stag, CMMG, etc. lower can be readily acquired?

joe4702
10-21-2007, 2:47 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought Kasler was the "definitive" list for determining series membership. I guess a DA could claim EA-15 is the same as EA-15 A2 HBAR?
The $5K defense would then say Kasler doesn't say "EA-15 (all)". I hate grey areas, lol

bwiese
10-21-2007, 2:51 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought Kasler was the "definitive" list for determining series membership. I guess a DA could claim EA-15 is the same as EA-15 A2 HBAR?

The $5K defense would then say Kasler doesn't say "EA-15 (all)". I hate grey areas, lol

Nope. The Kasler list was formulated after the Aug 2000 Kasler decision, as a 'helpful' guide in fall 2000.

Harrott was handed down afterwards - end of June 2001. It indeed requires make/model specificity. But the devil's in the details on what's banned. Actually DOJ had the chance to update the list for 5 years and didn't, but this is too close.

And that $5K defense could grow to $40K or more if it had to go thru appeals chain.

joe4702
10-21-2007, 3:01 PM
Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the information.

Joe

WokMaster1
10-21-2007, 5:12 PM
save yourself the potential headaches. There are many more choices available to us. Listen to Bill. He's one of the chosen ones...the RIGHT people!!!!!:p