PDA

View Full Version : Excellent 10 minute NRA video: "The Truth About 'Right-to-Carry'"

Paladin
10-20-2007, 3:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNUqtkXTQ8

Liberty1
10-20-2007, 4:10 PM
Great video! My favorite was the barber open carrying! He never had to shoot as OC is a visual deterrent. The criminal doesn't have to guess if you are armed.

Scarecrow Repair
10-20-2007, 5:46 PM
Great video! My favorite was the barber open carrying! He never had to shoot as OC is a visual deterrent. The criminal doesn't have to guess if you are armed.

Well, there's also the flipside, that if a bad guy sees the open carry, he might figure he has to shoot first. Otherwise he might be willing to take the odds that only a small percentage of the population actually is armed.

And please, all you panicy petes, before you open your big yammer and call me a commie, put your brain in gear first and read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. The experience will do you good.

wutzu
10-20-2007, 7:29 PM
Well, there's also the flipside, that if a bad guy sees the open carry, he might figure he has to shoot first. Otherwise he might be willing to take the odds that only a small percentage of the population actually is armed.

And please, all you panicy petes, before you open your big yammer and call me a commie, put your brain in gear first and read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. The experience will do you good.

[puts brain in gear]
[reads what you wrote]

There isn't a flipside such as you describe, for a very simple reason. Criminals are stupid, but they're not stupid stupid.

If i mug someone who's unarmed, odds are nothing will happen to me. If I shoot some armed guy to steal his wallet, the police will have a much greater incentive to find me, and when I do, I'll go to jail for the rest of my life. Which of these seems to have the bigger risk/reward payoff?

So please, before you open your big yammer and call me a gun-toting vigilante, put your brain in gear first and read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. The experience will do you good.

Scarecrow Repair
10-20-2007, 9:19 PM
[puts brain in gear]
[reads what you wrote]

Not very well.

There isn't a flipside such as you describe, for a very simple reason. Criminals are stupid, but they're not stupid stupid.

What you followup with is valid as long as you assume there are no stupid stupid criminals and that they always plan intelligent crimes. Any number of bank robber holdup notes on deposit slips ought to inform you otherwise, and since there are stupid stupid criminals, there certainly will be at least some who just might be stupid stupid enough to shoot first if he sees his victim is armed, and play the odds otherwise.

That is what I wrote.

Liberty1
10-20-2007, 10:17 PM
LMAO...That has got to be the best OC / CC repartee I've ever read. Both have their times and their place. Personally I'd OC, with a concealed bug, if I could; visual deterrent, easy unentangled draw, comfort, political activism/sheeple reeducation, (my kids like it too), etc...

Scarecrow Repair
10-21-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm not a handgun kind of guy; I don't have any registered ones, and they pretty much bore me. I sometimes wish they were more interesting, and then I would probably think it the most fun to be OC and CC, like you say -- OC for the reactions, CC for backup. But I wear t-shirts and shorts too much to find a way to CC unless it's cold (like < 40F) where I had a jacket -- altho I have thought of a dinky derringer, but I don't know how useful that would be, and it would have to be registered. The only handguns I shoot much at all are flintlock single shot pistols and black powder revolvers, more for the novelty and change of pace than anything else. I did get a conversion cylinder for my 1858 Remington replica, thinking that might make one carry more interesting, but it doesn't. Maybe some day.

Paladin
10-21-2007, 6:55 AM
LMAO...That has got to be the best OC / CC repartee I've ever read. Both have their times and their place.Well put. As you saw in the video, the BG was scared off when he saw John Long from the barber shop Open Carrying -- Mr. Long just temporarily stopped the BG from committing a crime.

The BG merely went down the road and burst into the hardware store where Bill Stroud had a handgun concealed under the counter -- that gave him the ability to permanently stop the BG.

Off Topic question for your personal musings: Which had the better outcome: OC or CC? (To muddy the waters, remember, as per my recent thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=71319), CA residents do NOT have all of the legal protections that the NRA's model Castle Doctrine law provides.)

chris
10-21-2007, 7:39 AM
great video. must be nice to able to defend yourself. here you have the right to be a victim. too bad this state is hell bent on taking firearms away from the people. this state will be nothing but a place of targets of opportunity. F Kalifornia!!!!! plain and simple.