PDA

View Full Version : Anyone participating in the SCCC protest next week?

Rums
10-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Next week the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is staging a week long protest to allow CCW holders to carry on their college campus. Its kind of difficult to build a following for this in California, but I'll definitely be participating. The protest is actually pretty neat: You were an empty holster to school for the week. No signs, no massive groups, just students wearing a holster to make their point. I was wondering if any other college students on the forums here are participating.

DedEye
10-20-2007, 1:39 AM
This was discussed before, and I'm deferring to the logic of a lot of the other members on this one. We're legally allowed to carry on campus if we have a CCW, so this would be a protest against a law that doesn't exist in this state. Our time would be better spent advocating for more shall issue Sheriffs.

ldivinag
10-20-2007, 10:36 AM
i got a spare fobus that i'll WEAR to work (cal state hayward)...

Liberty1
10-20-2007, 11:04 AM
An empty holster is more a comment on the state of self defense rights in CA. Carry a pamphlet describing the protest to hand to any inquiring minds: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/5030.html

I was once sent on a call of a Man with an Empty Holster. We kept asking dispatch if the caller knew where the pistol was! You know, maybe in his hands. It turned out to be in his trunk with some other guns (he was shopping at a gun store) as he was returning from the range. The lead officer ended up running the serial numbers of all his guns in his trunk (none of us had a good handle on the PC 12000 section at the time and neither did the individual). The Sgt. showed up latter and said, "Don't any of you morons support the 2nd Amendment? Leave this guy alone and get back to work!" I thought that was great.

Smokeybehr
10-20-2007, 11:23 AM
I think I'll do my protest all week, too. I'll put on my Galco SOB on my right hip, since my drop-leg rig might be a little TOO conspicuous. I wonder how the libtards that I work with at the Library and on the Fresno City campus will react.

On second thought, the drop-leg filled with pamphlets might be best...:43:

Rums
10-21-2007, 1:49 AM
This was discussed before, and I'm deferring to the logic of a lot of the other members on this one. We're legally allowed to carry on campus if we have a CCW, so this would be a protest against a law that doesn't exist in this state. Our time would be better spent advocating for more shall issue Sheriffs.

I found the thread discussing this after I posted and alas: no delete button. But I don't think its a waste of time, its a nationwide protest and still means something.

CCWFacts
10-21-2007, 1:56 AM
In most of the US, the barrier to students being armed is state "victim zone" laws. Fortunately for us, that is one of the few areas of gun rights where we are ahead of the other states. Honestly, it's a quirk. There are so few CCWs in this state, and they are largely in the hands of VIPs, so they ended up with among the most favorable CCW laws in the country (once they are issued).

Here, the barriers are a) non-issuing authorities b) a fundamentally corrupt CCW law and c) a lot of campuses that have "victim zone" policies.

Here in California, this protest is protesting what we need to protest, which is, due to a quirk in our law, quite different from what they are protesting in the other states. But the point is the same.

chris
10-21-2007, 6:51 AM
An empty holster is more a comment on the state of self defense rights in CA. Carry a pamphlet describing the protest to hand to any inquiring minds: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/5030.html

I was once sent on a call of a Man with an Empty Holster. We kept asking dispatch if the caller knew where the pistol was! You know, maybe in his hands. It turned out to be in his trunk with some other guns (he was shopping at a gun store) as he was returning from the range. The lead officer ended up running the serial numbers of all his guns in his trunk (none of us had a good handle on the PC 12000 section at the time and neither did the individual). The Sgt. showed up latter and said, "Don't any of you morons support the 2nd Amendment? Leave this guy alone and get back to work!" I thought that was great.

we need more police like the SGT there. too bad he is the in the silent majority in the F'd up state. KA will never allow it here. it will be a real threat to their power.

ETD1010
10-21-2007, 9:04 AM
Hey, what about private schools? Do they have the ability to outlaw CCW, even with a permit? Cause I think they do. ESpecially for enrolled students... which is where I go... so I think I could participate and show my distaste for liberal morons.... (not to mention my campus censors calguns and other "weapons" sites).