PDA

View Full Version : Armed Robber might still be alive if only he had worked in California

Liberty1
10-19-2007, 5:16 PM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20071019_Robber_killed_in_gunfight_with_recycling_ employees.html

Fri, Oct. 19, 2007

Robber killed in gunfight with recycling employees. After many holdups, the Germantown site's owner said, he allowed workers to carry guns.

By Barbara Boyer and Dwight Ott
Inquirer Staff Writers

Robberies have made the recycling business so dangerous for David Geppert, shot two years ago during a holdup, that he gave his blessing to employees who said they wanted to carry guns to work.
Yesterday morning, Geppert said he felt blessed that none of his employees at his Germantown facility was injured during a gun battle between a robber and two employees. The robber was shot and died.

"We're like a little family here," Geppert said of the seven people employed at David Geppert Recycling in the 4500 block of Wayne Avenue, a busy commercial byway.

The drama started shortly after 9 a.m., when a man entered the facility and approached four employees sorting materials in a garage. He posed as a customer and said he had a large number of old radiators he wanted to sell as scrap metal.

Employees noticed he was acting oddly. They also noticed a bulge at his side.

Then, police and Geppert said, the man pulled a .380-caliber automatic and demanded cash.

Two employees were armed - and all three began firing.

Homicide Lt. Philip Riehl said the robber fired at least three shots and the workers - both of whom declined to comment - about seven. Police do not expect to file charges in the case.

Only the robber, who ran about 100 yards and collapsed, was hit by gunfire, Riehl said. One of the employees was shaken up and taken to a nearby hospital for observation.

Authorities had a tentative identification on the robber that was not released pending confirmation.

"I'm glad that none of my employees was injured," Geppert said. "I hope it set a precedent that we're going to keep on protecting ourselves."

On Dec. 31, 2004, Geppert was shot during a robbery. The alleged gunman was charged and acquitted after a jury trial. Since opening the business in 1992, Geppert said he's been robbed about a dozen times.

"I hope this is the last one," he said.

Employees are instructed to give up the cash to robbers to stay safe.

Geppert said he has decreased buying scrap metal from walk-ins to limit the amount of cash kept on the premises.

Yesterday, to better protect employees, he said he will only accept commercial debris from vendors who will accept checks or credit.

Others in the neighborhood said that the area has become too dangerous, and some said that they, too, keep sidearms.

"Enough is enough," said Carl Cooper, who works at the Mom & Pop Deli at Wayne and Roberts Avenue and heard the morning gunshots.

Cooper raised his sweater and displayed the gun he keeps on his hip and the permit he keeps in his wallet.

"If we let the criminals do what they want to do, it's no good," Cooper said. "You have to have a gun to protect yourself."

Cooper's friend, Ray Young, agreed.

"Right now," Young said, "we have to watch each other's backs."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watch an interview with the company owner at http://go.philly.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact staff writer Barbara Boyer at 215-854-2641 or bboyer@phillynews.com.

pnkssbtz
10-19-2007, 5:53 PM
WTF, the owner WAS SHOT and the guy who shot him was ACQUITTED? WTF?

Spaceghost
10-19-2007, 6:15 PM
I guess that is why the article says alleged gunman.

WTF, the owner WAS SHOT and the guy who shot him was ACQUITTED? WTF?

Pthfndr
10-19-2007, 7:24 PM
Armed Robber might still be alive if only he had worked in California

Not at most scrap yards in CA I've been to over the last 50 years. Very common for them to be armed.

CSACANNONEER
10-19-2007, 7:51 PM
I hope that they were able to recycle the lead! Obviously, it's worth more than the dead robber is!

DRM6000
10-19-2007, 7:56 PM
i like a story with a happy ending :)

Wild Bill
10-19-2007, 8:39 PM
i like a story with a happy ending :)

+1 :D

N6ATF
10-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Woo!

MedSpec65
10-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Not at most scrap yards in CA I've been to over the last 50 years. Very common for them to be armed.Good. That's one of few California firearms law provisions that make sense. A BUSINESS OWNER may carry concealed or open upon the premises in which he conducts his business without a permit. PA probably has a similar statute. My local business license is posted prominently near the front door to my apartment. I usually carry a holstered 1911 condition one Friday nights, full moons and week-ends when the moon bats are about and lurking with bad intentions. Bedroom communities are increasing as targets for the home-invasion types. They are only competently assessing risk. How many households are armed in urban areas of CA? ALL armed households in CA should get a Fictitious Business Name and obtain a local business license for a home-based business. It mitigates your civil liability if the worst case scenario comes thru your front door un-announced and un-invited.

N6ATF
10-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Can't you already do this in your own home? How would it mitigate your civil liability more than your bank account and privacy?

tgriffin
10-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Can't you already do this in your own home? How would it mitigate your civil liability more than your bank account and privacy?

Yep I agree. We are already entitled to carry concealed at and in our homes and upon our property.

MedSpec65
10-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Yep I agree. We are already entitled to carry concealed at and in our homes and upon our property.Absolutely, however a loaded weapon carried at your place of business does enjoy a minor "exception" as described on page 47 of "How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail" (CA Edition 2007 by John Machtinger). As a business owner you can authorize employees or family members to be armed upon the premises also.

CitaDeL
10-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Yep I agree. We are already entitled to carry concealed at and in our homes and upon our property.

Not only concealed but openly as well...

12026. (b) No permit or license to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, shall be required of any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within the citizen's or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident.

And not just on our property, but at our temporary residence or campsite...

12031.(l) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.

N6ATF
10-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Absolutely, however a loaded weapon carried at your place of business does enjoy a minor "exception" as described on page 47 of "How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail" (CA Edition 2007 by John Machtinger). As a business owner you can authorize employees or family members to be armed upon the premises also.

And you can't do this as a homeowner?

mumbleypeg
10-21-2007, 7:02 AM
Working in California didn't help this guy!

SignOnSanDiego.com

Suspect in store robbery shot by clerk

By Kristina Davis
STAFF WRITER

11:51 a.m. October 20, 2007

SAN DIEGO – An attempt to rob a convenience store went awry Friday night when the store clerk pulled out his own gun and shot one of the suspects in the chest in an exchange of gunfire, police said.

The suspect, a man in his 20s, remained in critical condition Saturday.

The clerk was standing in front of JR Market on National Avenue at 38th Street at 10 p.m. when he was approached by two men armed with a handgun, San Diego police said.

When they pointed the gun at him, the clerk pulled out his own handgun and they exchanged fire.

The suspects escaped in a gray mini-van.

About 20 minutes later, a woman called to report that a man had been shot.

Officers who responded found a man lying in a van on 30th Street suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest.

No other suspects were found.

Find this article at:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071020-9999-1bn20shot.html

Copyright 2007 Union-Tribune Publishing Co. ? A Copley Newspaper Site