PDA

View Full Version : The Future of CA RKBA is in Middle School and HS Right Now!

Paladin
10-19-2007, 4:17 PM
More young people (esp guys) are more into guns now than when I was in high school. Why? Because of shooter video games, paintball, and airsoft. Back when I was a youth we only had BB/pellet guns or the real thing and thus not as much opportunity to "convert" friends to being pro-gun in a low profile way thru after school activities. These kids nowadays are using "guns" all the time by comparison. :cool:

Next I realized that some high schoolers are 18 and can vote. Although they are too young to CCW, they can vote for sheriffs candidates who are pro-CCW. But the main point of this is that by 2010 (the next sheriffs races), some who were in middle school last year will be able to vote and most who are in high school right now will be able to vote. And remember, every two years we vote for new CA Assemblymen and state senators as well as members of the US House of Representatives (aka Congressmen) and US Senators (the people who decide who are our US Sup Ct justices). Every two years a new cohort of young people join the electorate.

How do we reach these young gun enthusiasts, connect them to our cause, inform them of candidates and issues, and protect them from their anti-RKBA teachers? We've got to get a pro-RKBA presence -- and especially a pro-CA CCW presence -- on Facebook, MySpace, Xanga, YouTube, and all their other "social sites."

Yesterday I was browsing some gun mags when I noticed a young man (early 20s?) also looking at them. He mentioned a "really good" SWAT-type magazine he liked. I wrote down on a piece of paper the web addresses of the sites below and gave it to him. His eyes widened and he said "Thanks!" :D

That got me to thinking of using my word processor to make business card sized sheets with:

Concealed Carry Weapon Info
• www.calguns.net Go to the "2nd
Amend. Politics and Laws" forum
• www.calccw.com
• www.nra-ila.org
• www.calnra.com
• www.concealedcampus.org
Concealed Carry Legal Info.
• www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

DIRECTIONS:
1) open a new word processor document and set it to two columns and 11pt Lucida Grande font
2) copy the above text with web addresses
3) paste 5 copies of the above web addresses in the left column and 5 in the right column of the document
4) save and then print out document
5) use scissors to divide page into separate business card fliers

You can fit a ten on a single sheet of paper by using double columns w/your word processor. Cut them out and hand them out. Cheap and effective promoting of our cause on a personal level. Print out and cut out a couple of sheets worth before going to the mall to hand out to every young guy you see, esp over at the video arcade! Keep some in your wallet at all times to hand out when an opportunity arises (like it did for me yesterday).

Sticking these under their windshields at school football games? True, many parents may get ticked, but if it is legal, so what as long as we gain members to our side. How else and where else can we "recruit"?

What are your ideas on how to capture the future?

Edit: Don't forget colleges and universities. Although many of their students are too young to buy a handgun or apply for a CCW, they can vote and in no time at all they'll be 21. Plus, distributing these business cards may be less restricted on college campuses than on middle school and HS campuses.

JHC
10-19-2007, 6:07 PM
Now if only we can restrain ourselves and not run off the noobs when they slip up and ask a dumb question or make a stupid statement, we've got to remember that not everyone has been into firearms as long as some of the members here.

I've seen it happen plenty of times on this site as well as others, a noob asks a question that's been asked enough times to irritate the membership and rather than do an easy search, post a link for them, and give them a pass they get a beat-down. So we lose possible allies and create enemies or at the very least we allow the misinformed to remain that way which reflects on all of us when they do something illegal.

Bill_in_SD
10-19-2007, 7:50 PM
On the paper listing the links, add a little blurb about using the SEARCH function.

Search, Lurk, Post. In that order.

Bill in SD

Paladin
10-21-2007, 8:19 AM
Now if only we can restrain ourselves and not run off the noobs when they slip up and ask a dumb question or make a stupid statement, we've got to remember that not everyone has been into firearms as long as some of the members here.

I've seen it happen plenty of times on this site as well as others, a noob asks a question that's been asked enough times to irritate the membership and rather than do an easy search, post a link for them, and give them a pass they get a beat-down. So we lose possible allies and create enemies or at the very least we allow the misinformed to remain that way which reflects on all of us when they do something illegal.Excellent points. Perhaps a new forum for people new to guns/shooting/2nd A politics would help. They could go there to get answers to so many of the things we take for common knowledge among ourselves (e.g., we use "OC" as an abbreviation for pepper spray, open carry and Orange County).

If we don't increase the number of gun owners and gun rights activists, we'll never turn this state around. The best way to get them plugged in and on board is to be open and inviting, polite and friendly w/the newbies. Many, especially women, feel about as comfortable joining a forum dedicated to guns as I would to a forum dedicated to cooking. Since they're half of the voters in CA, we only hurt ourselves if we drive them off, not to mention driving off young guys.

You can NEVER have too many friends or too few enemies in politics.

chris
10-21-2007, 9:26 AM

I've seen it happen plenty of times on this site as well as others, a noob asks a question that's been asked enough times to irritate the membership and rather than do an easy search, post a link for them, and give them a pass they get a beat-down. So we lose possible allies and create enemies or at the very least we allow the misinformed to remain that way which reflects on all of us when they do something illegal.

agreed. i have seen the arogance of gun owners of this site and this state. if someone asks a question and it's their first time here. do not chastize them. yes the search is helpfull but the darn threads are burried and my god the news is old too. people want updatd info not info from a year or two ago. things in this state change too much and very quickly too.

this is for the senior membership here and you know who you are. you are smart and informed. with that comes responsibility and that means you can mentor and teach new gun owners rather that alienate them.

end the arrogance and help them. we are losing here and gun owners in Kali it's our fault for the state of affairs we face today.

LECTRIKHED
10-21-2007, 9:33 AM
You are making a few incorrect assumptions.

1. Elected officials have a tendency not to represent those who elected them (ie Arnold)
2. We were taught in school from an early age that guns are evil.
3. Many of our parents were hippies who taught us the same thing.

It wasn't until some of us had events happen where we realized that we needed to own guns that this changed. Many of my gun owning friends were antis, until something happened to them.

savageevo
10-21-2007, 9:40 AM
When I was a really new noob, I was so much in the dark about the laws in cali. Yes there will be people out there that will put noobs down and a lot more that are real helpful. To the people out there that are helping you, Bless you for informing us. Thanks for helping us not get into trouble by lack of knowledge and especially BWiese, I thank you for the information you gave me when I join this group over a year ago. We as a group are pretty much a family, and it should be that way. help each other out, teach each other what is right and wrong. We surely do not want to see any of our family members go to jail for something they could have asked here and just shunt away because of the question was too simple to answer.

CitaDeL
10-21-2007, 9:44 AM
More young people (esp guys) are more into guns now than when I was in high school. Why? Because of shooter video games, paintball, and airsoft. Back when I was a youth we only had BB/pellet guns or the real thing and thus not as much opportunity to "convert" friends to being pro-gun in a low profile way thru after school activities. These kids nowadays are using "guns" all the time by comparison. :cool:....

Hmm I like your thinking.

Especially about the social networking sites. It is possible though, to take it another step, if a websites ownership wouldnt mind setting a little corner aside for the younger generation to discuss topics that interest them (And some of us too.) A place where they could have topics peripherally related to guns or shooting- strategies and tactics for HALO 3 released for XBOX 360 or other first-person games, youth hunting, beginers firearms safety as well as AIRSOFT or paintball as previously mentioned. It wouldnt hurt to supply all the metawords and phrases to make this website appear for them on websearches...

Passing out flyers though,... sounds like a lot of work for minimal returns.

Paladin
10-21-2007, 2:56 PM
Passing out flyers though,... sounds like a lot of work for minimal returns.You're right. I was just brainstorming. Probably best just to post the fliers at gun shops and ranges and high crime neighborhoods.

Keep the "business cards" in your wallet to hand out to people you talk w/about guns, RKBA and esp CCWs. It save them from having to remember the sites and saves you from having to quickly hunt down a pen and paper to give them.

AfricanHunter
10-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Would anyone want to go in on an order of real business cards (vs cut out paper) with some of the above links and other pro RKBA/CCW info/resources/facts on it? I'd be in for a hundred or two (maybe plus flyers and stuff).

Anyone interested?

Paladin
10-22-2007, 6:39 AM
You are making a few incorrect assumptions.

1. Elected officials have a tendency not to represent those who elected them (ie Arnold)
2. We were taught in school from an early age that guns are evil.
3. Many of our parents were hippies who taught us the same thing.

It wasn't until some of us had events happen where we realized that we needed to own guns that this changed. Many of my gun owning friends were antis, until something happened to them.I'll assume you're directing this toward me. ;)

re #1: Arnie is principled until it puts his personal political ambitions at risk. IOW, esp after his initiative fiasco, he'll do what aligns w/his principles (whatever those are) unless even they get in the way of his personal political goals (i.e., keep winning elections, up to and including the White House). As a consequence of this, he is loyal to those who elected him until some position proves to be unpopular with those who will (re)elect him for his next race. He is the consummate politician. Thus, he'll be "loyal" to us as soon as we become a MAJOR political force in this state.

re #2 & 3: That's why I try to post every video/news article re a CCW'er using his CCW to defend his own, someone else's or a LEO's life over at www.californiaccw.org CGN may want to collect those threads and put them in a separate "forum" for only that type of info to make it readily accessible for curious visitors. I also got permission from the NRA-ILA for any pro-RKBA website to put their CCW map of the USA (http://www.nraila.org/images/rtcmaplg.jpg) on their website as long as credit is given. CGN might want to do that to show that the non-Shall Issue position is now the extreme and regressive position adhered to by only a few states.

But #2 & 3 did make me think of something else: If I am correct that shooter video games, airsoft and paintball help to open some youth and young kids to becoming future RKBA/CCW supporters, then we as adults, esp parents, should see those activities as a way of reaching their friends. Getting them extra airsoft and paintball equipment for Christmas so their friends who are total newbies to those activities can be "converted", I mean, participate. ;)

The kids first get into some of those activities when they're in grade or middle school, and that sets them up for joining us (via those social websites?) in late middle school and high school. Then it is a small step for them to go from there to the sites on my "business cards" in late high school and college and become real RKBA political/legal activists. :D

Paladin
10-22-2007, 8:40 PM
Revised business cards:

• www.calccw.com
• www.nra-ila.org
• www.calnra.com

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-23-2007, 12:09 PM
If your basing your hopes on this generation setting things straight, ehh, you need to sit down in a few high school classrooms, look at the personalities of the kids, and what is being taught. :kest:

Python2
10-23-2007, 4:23 PM
Would anyone want to go in on an order of real business cards (vs cut out paper) with some of the above links and other pro RKBA/CCW info/resources/facts on it? I'd be in for a hundred or two (maybe plus flyers and stuff).

Anyone interested?

I am, since Paladin started it maybe he should design a card, find out how much it cost, then we all contribute, err, not all but any one who wish to contribute. I will.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-23-2007, 5:08 PM
http://www.vistaprint.com/
Click on "free business cards" and click "advanced editing" or go to "premium business cards."

Something about like this:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/kasudyo/rkbacard2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/kasudyo/rkbacard1.jpg

This could be ordered for 250 for $9.99 or 500 for $19.98.

Paladin
10-23-2007, 5:50 PM
If your basing your hopes on this generation setting things straight, ehh, you need to sit down in a few high school classrooms, look at the personalities of the kids, and what is being taught. :kest:You misunderstood me. I'm not suggesting those kids will set things straight the way they are, but rather that their regular use of "guns" (i.e., shooter video games, airsoft, paintball), means that they will be open to learning about real guns, and from there, gun politics (RKBA, CCW, AWB, etc.). Introducing them to those websites will allow us and our peers to set them straight and then they will help us set this state and nation straight. (Hopefully)

Paladin
10-23-2007, 6:06 PM
I handed out 4 of my original format (ugly) business cards today. I saw my new mechanic had trophies on his walls and went from there. Then I bumped into an off-duty deputy working as a security guard and then to two other security guards. The LEO was somewhat of a hard sell since he felt he was set. In hindsight I realized w/all of them -- they were all guys -- I should have brought up the issue that they should also join our cause so that their girlfriends/wives could carry to protect themselves. This line of argument should be expanded to include their fathers and mothers, siblings, sons and daughters, etc.

Sometimes people will do something for someone they love that they won't do for themselves. For example, a friend's wife was very anti gun and could never imagine shooting someone before they were married. One night after they had been married a few years and had a child, a BG running from police had an ax and started chopping on their front door to break in and hide. She grabbed her child and screamed for my friend to "Shoot him! Shoot him! Shoot him!" through the door, even though the BG was still outside. :36: Fortunately(?), the LEOs were closing in and the BG took off.

Paladin
10-23-2007, 6:15 PM
http://www.vistaprint.com/
Click on "free business cards" and click "advanced editing" or go to "premium business cards."

Something about like this:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/kasudyo/rkbacard2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/kasudyo/rkbacard1.jpg

This could be ordered for 250 for $9.99 or 500 for $19.98.Wow! Those look great! I especially like how we can order these as individuals, that way we could pick the best style to appeal to the different groups to which we belong.

Personally I just LOVE the one w/the American flag. :D

Unfortunately, that won't appeal to many in PRK. :(

Paladin
10-24-2007, 7:13 AM
What I wish could be done (easily and cheaply) is shrinking this image http://www.nraila.org/images/rtcmaplg.jpg

and putting it on the back of the card. It shows and is a constant reminder of how "Luddite", "out-of-step with the rest of" the nation, non-"progressive", "throw back"-ish, "behind the times", and "Neanderthalish" Kalifornia is for not "allowing" law-abiding residents the RTC. ;) It should keep us ticked off and fighting until we win "Shall Issue" RTC.

Unfortunately, when you shrink that image to the right size, it is too small to read the legend. Perhaps if someone converted it to a black and white image and simplified it by only distinguishing between the RTC vs non-RTC states that would work.

(Did I hear Python2 volunteer himself? "Bueller? Bueller?")

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-29-2007, 4:27 PM
In that graphic, it's tough to distinguish between black states and dark gray. Black is fine, maybe the dark gray can be changed to green or white or something more contrasty?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-29-2007, 4:48 PM
Let's see here...

Small:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/kasudyo/usaccw2006small.jpg

Smaller:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/kasudyo/usaccw2006smaller.jpg

Extra small:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/kasudyo/usaccw2006-extrasmall.jpg

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-29-2007, 5:20 PM
Alright, I slapped this together real quick. I uploaded it to Vista Print, we could get these for $19.99 for 250 or $29.99 for 500. These images here aren't the exact resolution, as the resolution Vista Print uses is slightly higher than photobucket's max resolution.

Front:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/kasudyo/usaccw2006card.jpg

Back:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/kasudyo/usaccw2006cardback.jpg

Tell me what you think, I'm late, gotta run, etc.

Paladin
07-22-2009, 9:39 PM
Revised business cards:

• www.calccw.com
• www.nra-ila.org
• www.calnra.com

Giving this old thread a bump.

Over the past two weeks I've taken a couple of road trips and even during my regular driving/parking when I've seen cars w/NRA, hunting, USMC or similar bumper stickers/decals I'll stop, slip one of these "business card fliers" under their windshield (or hand them out to LEOs, security guards, etc.) and one minute later, I'm back on my way. By being selective in my targeting, I'd guess that probably at least half of them eventually visit these sites. Of those, I'd guess at least 1/4th become regular visitors/members/"plugged in." And all it takes is about 1 minute per "target." I usually keep half a dozen in my wallet and about a dozen refils in my car.

As another old thread asked, What did you do today to promote the 2nd Amendment?

Be sure to check out my other things you can do to promote Shall Issue in this state. The link is in my signature line (16 things YOU CAN DO . . .).

unusedusername
07-23-2009, 2:29 AM
As a newb myself: Please don't use the acyronym RKBA on the cards. Nobody outside of this website knows what it stands for, and watching people try to pronounce it is sad... RuKaaaaBAhhh.

Mulay El Raisuli
07-23-2009, 7:01 AM
Sometimes people will do something for someone they love that they won't do for themselves. For example, a friend's wife was very anti gun and could never imagine shooting someone before they were married. One night after they had been married a few years and had a child, a BG running from police had an ax and started chopping on their front door to break in and hide. She grabbed her child and screamed for my friend to "Shoot him! Shoot him! Shoot him!" through the door, even though the BG was still outside. :36: Fortunately(?), the LEOs were closing in and the BG took off.

It should be noted that shooting, even thru the door, would have been completely justified (by law) in this instance. The BG doesn't have to actually be inside the house for a shooting to be justified. Attacking the door with an axe is more than enough "good cause" to shoot.

The Raisuli

sierratangofoxtrotunion
07-23-2009, 8:22 AM
If somebody were to make business cards or brochures, there's a CGNer who can do the printing, rather than sending that money off to some faceless corporation. I've used him a couple times for some printing, he does good work.

Paladin
07-26-2009, 9:24 PM
As a newb myself: Please don't use the acyronym RKBA on the cards. Nobody outside of this website knows what it stands for, and watching people try to pronounce it is sad... RuKaaaaBAhhh.

Feel free to modify it as you think best for your target audience. The main thing is to find something you can quickly and easily do, otherwise you won't keep it up for the long haul.

Be sure to develop a 2 min "sales pitch" to give along w/the card. You should explain who we are (pro-gunnies of all political/racial/etc stripes in CA), what we are doing (learning and organizing to fight for the same 2nd A RKBA enjoyed by Americans outside of CA), what we want to achieve (Shall Issue; good bye AWB, hello hicaps, etc.), and how they can join us to help us get what they want too (by cking out those websites, joining us and getting active).

Paladin
07-26-2009, 9:33 PM
If somebody were to make business cards or brochures, there's a CGNer who can do the printing, rather than sending that money off to some faceless corporation. I've used him a couple times for some printing, he does good work. I have thought of using real business card-type stock but honestly, I prefer plain ol' paper. Why? Because my wallet is fat enough and w/real business cards, I can only stuff 4 or 5 of them in it before it becomes just too fat and I won't carry them. W/plain printer paper I can carry 6 or 8 easily and a dozen more in my car's cup holder w/o effort. I know I'll always have them in my wallet to give out. Plus, whenever I run out I simply print some more up -- no hassles.

But then again, feel free to do otherwise if that is what you want.

Also, to all, feel free to add or delete websites acc to what you want to promote and what you think will best help our cause.

The main thing is to find something that works and keep doing it. I've found that this works REAAALLY well for me, at least the times where I've spoken w/the person (vs just putting under a windshield wiper). Typical responses are "It is about time we organize to take back this state." Or, "I was wondering about concealed permits just last month. Thanks, I'll ck these out." Watch out though, you might get stuck in a 10 min conversation w/someone who hasn't searched the net for CA gun forums and they're just soooo happy to meet a like-minded person that they'll suck all of your RKBA knowledge out of your brain while talking your ear off! :)

I guess that due to my targeting of what cars I leave it with, that those owners also appreciate it.