PDA

View Full Version : shooting pumpkins out in the desert

soopafly
10-19-2007, 1:41 PM
I haven't gone out to the desert or National Forest for shooting on public land for a looooooong time. It has just been paid ranges for a while now for me. So my question is, where in SoCal can I find public land for shooting where I can put all the leftover Halloween pumpkins out of their misery?

Maybe some of us can get together and bring other post-Halloween biodegradable targets. It could be the start of the annual "Calguns Post-Halloween Pumpkin Shoot":37:

I apologize in advance if any of this is incomprehensible...Friday liquid lunch...you know...:stuart:

wildcard
10-19-2007, 1:45 PM
Desert :) Otherwise.. take it to Burro if you don't mid a minimum of 100 yds!

CSACANNONEER
10-19-2007, 7:39 PM
Pumkins are hollow and therefor don't react as well as other biodegradable targets like watermelons! If you do this, take both and see what I mean.

Kelvrick
10-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Pumkins are hollow and therefor don't react as well as other biodegradable targets like watermelons! If you do this, take both and see what I mean.

I just have to chime in that yes, they don't explode as well, but they're nice for drawing!

http://www.kelvrick.com/pumpkinout.jpg

About 50 rounds of .22 from my remington 597

1911 in 916
10-27-2007, 11:58 PM
You can always poke a hole and fill it with colored water then freeze it.

UBFRAGD
10-28-2007, 8:11 AM
I took a day off work a couple weeks ago and went shooting pumpkins--a whole pick-up truck full of the things. As it turned out, they were most fun to shoot with a 12gauge, and most specifically, 3" 2oz. turkey loads at about 15 yrds.

Orange mist!!

pepsi2451
10-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Fill em with Tannerite first.:D

eurom3
11-01-2007, 2:53 AM
uhhh,

so....back to this guys subject, Where can we go to Shoot stuff like pumpkins and watermellons in Socal deserts and stuff, Besides shooting ranges?

DesertDawg
11-01-2007, 3:44 AM
You'll have about a 2-hour drive to the nearest desert from where you live.

Take a look at: www.socalcamping.com/shooting/shoot_info.html

You can also do a search for "Bureau of Land Management", and add either Barstow or Palm Springs. Their web sites aren't always up-to-date, but they'll get you started toward finding the closest desert region to you....along with recreational shooting info. If I'm not mistaken, they've extended the fire season, due to the recent fires, and they may have some temporary restrictions on shooting.