PDA

View Full Version : Changing political party affiliation with options???

Exiledviking
10-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Just curious, IF someone wanted to part ways with the Republican party for example, how would they register to ensure that they could vote for whomever they wanted? IE Fred Thompson or Ron Paul?

bulgron
10-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I think that in CA, the only way you can vote in a particular party's primaries is by registered as being a member of that party. So if you want to vote for Thompson or Paul in the primaries, you have to be registered as a Republican.

Patriot
10-19-2007, 1:08 PM
One would be hard pressed to come up with an excuse for NOT voting in the primaries.

IIRC you become a de facto independent by selecting "Decline to state" or "Non-Partisan" for party affiliation on the Voter Registration card (I have not done this so I do not know for sure).

I think whether independents are allowed to vote in CA primaries is determined by the parties (and I think both major parties let you do so).

mike452
10-19-2007, 1:22 PM
California now has a "Modified Closed Primary System". Unaffiliated ("decline to state") voters may, if they wish, choose to vote for one party's candidates. The American Independent Party, California Democratic Party, and the California Republican Party have agreed to let unaffiliated voters vote for their candidates. The Democratic Party and the Republican party will not permit unaffiliated voters to vote for their county central committees. Also, the Republican Party will not let unaffiliated voters select a presidential candidate.

Persons who are currently registered in a political party can vote for candidates of another political party if they reregister in the other party by the deadline which is 15 days before election day.

source:
http://ca.lwv.org/lwvc/edfund/elections/e3primary.html

AKman
10-19-2007, 2:04 PM
In Ventura County unaffiliated voters are given three choices for the upcoming primary; non-partisan, American Independent or Democratic ballots. A Republican ballot was not offered since they chose to not allow non-Republicans to participate in the primaries (another reason I think they are collectively a bunch of dickheads). I suspect a lot of unaffiliated voters that are more aligned with Republican values will be making some interesting choices on their Democratic ballot.

Exiledviking
10-19-2007, 2:14 PM
I suspect a lot of unaffiliated voters that are more aligned with Republican values will be making some interesting choices on their Democratic ballot.

This really ties our hands as far as voting goes, doesn't it?!

The way we are being treated by most our "Republican" politicians stinks.:mad:

jmlivingston
10-19-2007, 3:23 PM
Why do you say that? I fully agree with it. The purpose of the primary election is for the parties to choose their candidate. If you aren't a part of the party, why should you be allowed to assist in chosing the parties candidate?

John

Exiledviking
10-19-2007, 4:05 PM
As gun owners I think that we are too often cheated by our "Republican" politicians.
It doesn't appear that the Republican party supports us, so why would we want to be affiliated with them?

FreedomIsNotFree
10-19-2007, 4:10 PM
Uh...for those that dont know....you can register as a Republican for the primary, but you dont have to vote for a republican in the general election.

mike452
10-19-2007, 10:16 PM
We need to change our registration to the Democrat party and vote Republican.
We get infiltrated by Benedict Arnold at the highest level.

DedEye
10-20-2007, 1:41 AM
We need to change our registration to the Democrat party and vote Republican.
We get infiltrated by Benedict Arnold at the highest level.

It's spelled Democratic.

You should all vote Democrat in the primaries to elect Bill Richardson, like me ;).

TheDM
10-20-2007, 7:19 PM
We have the same BS in Kansas. I have to pick a party and then vote for one person I feel is the best for "my" Party. I personally believe that I should be able to keep my party affiliation a secret, and that I should be able to vote for the Best person in EACH Party whom I feel would make the best candidate.

But then, I'm a libertarian. I'm not registered as a Libertarian, because I am one. I switch my party affiliation every primary for my personal hopeful, because I believe my vote should be the best person for the job. The last 20 years, I've been everything major at least once.

SemiAutoSam
10-20-2007, 7:38 PM
Here is a place you can start.
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vr.htm

Here is a voter guide.
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/guidetovr_1006.pdf

AKman
10-20-2007, 10:34 PM
I find both major parties thoroughly disgusting. I refuse to be associated with either major party, even if it limits my ability to vote in primaries.

DRSFEFA
10-20-2007, 10:44 PM
I was registered as decline to state. I re-registered to not miss the Republican primary. I will switch back to decline to state after the primaries. There is an increased risk of jury duty, but to me well worth it. I am also past disgust with both parties.