PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had any experience with these for their pistols?

ajl2121
10-19-2007, 1:08 AM
These would be used for my HK USP .45F. Just wondering how the ergonomics and quality were. Thanks for your help!

The mag pouch says that they work with Alice clips...I have no idea what Alice clips are...Anyone know?

M. Sage
10-19-2007, 1:44 AM
You don't want something that uses ALICE clips. They're steel, and look kind of like huge hairpins, and can dig into you.

http://www.specialforces.com/store/catalog/product_26248_ALICE_Clips_pair.html

Also, that's not a very good holster pic, but does that have a buckle strap with no thumb break? If you want a decent back-country holster, get a Bianchi military holster. Strong stuff and the clips are built in. Probably faster access than a side-release buckle can give, despite being a flap holster. When I'm camping, I love the M12: http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=M12

Trust me, it says it'll fit Beretta, but it'll fit just about anything.

If you want something that's for more civilized areas, get something with a thumb break, or maybe a Blackhawk CQC. The ergonomics on the Blackhawk are totally unbeatable, IMO.

The SoCal Gunner
10-19-2007, 2:11 AM
The holster in the first pic doesn't look like it's for concealment while the third picture is of an IWB.

Depending on the maker the first holster can't be much more than what it is, a nylon holster. How is that holster carried since the pic doesn't show any straps or buckle? The second holster looks extremely cheap and for IWB I'd stay away from that especially for a full size USP. It wouldn't provide much, if any, retention for the pistol which could lead to the gun shifting. The holster clip looks weak which could allow the holster to shift while worn. If you want to go inexpensive for the moment, at least get a Don Hume for IWB. For a few extra bucks you could get something nicer but either way, a full size USP is quite the gun to carry for IWB.

Check out some kydex holsters for IWB.

Mr. Joshua
10-19-2007, 3:04 AM
Most of the time, you get what you pay for with holsters. Are you looking for a concealment rig, or something you'd use for open carry while walking out in the sticks?

Check out Don Hume, I've been nothing but impressed with his products. Easy on the wallet too.

gunrun45
10-19-2007, 8:16 AM
You have an $800+ handgun...don't cheap out on the holster... Spen $30 and at least get a semi decent one.

ajl2121
10-19-2007, 10:41 AM
It wouldn't need to be fully concealable..I'm planning on getting a subcompact for that purpose...I just want a way to transport the weapon along side myself if necessary.

Black Majik
10-19-2007, 10:48 AM
For just regular range carry, you can look into a fobus injection molded holster.

Personally, I'd get something of quality, and pick up a Comp-tac beltslide holster as well as a couple single magazine carriers.

N6ATF
10-19-2007, 11:38 AM
You have an $800+ handgun...

If he bought it new with night sights...

Blackhawk CQC.

ajl2121
10-19-2007, 2:21 PM
Yes... I bought it new w/ factory meprolight night sights about 2-3 months ago...I got a pretty good deal at Turner's...Sale for $759...came out to $850 out the door including my HSC test.

DrjonesUSA
10-19-2007, 4:01 PM
These would be used for my HK USP .45F. Just wondering how the ergonomics and quality were. Thanks for your help!

The mag pouch says that they work with Alice clips...I have no idea what Alice clips are...Anyone know?

That all looks like cheap junk.

Trust me, do not go cheap on holsters.

What is your purpose? CCW? IDPA?

Do you need IWB or OWB? Do NOT forget a nice thick gun belt - buy one from any of the major makers, I cannot recommend Milt Sparks highly enough - absolutely top-notch stuff.

Be sure you buy a REAL gun belt from someone who actually makes gun leather, though.

Belt makes all the difference in the world, even when not wearing a gun.

maxicon
10-19-2007, 4:01 PM
The problem with holsters is that they've very personal, and one that one person loves is hated by another person. There are many different styles out there, and the good stuff is expensive, but there's no guarantee you'll like a $150 holster that everyone raves about.

If you can, it's good to be able to try out an assortment of them at a well stocked shop to see how they feel. Lots of people swear by inexpensive Kydex holsters, while others will only wear horsehide, or whatever. Del Fatti, Milt Sparks, Don Hume, Bianchi, Wild Bill... The list goes on and on.

I've got a whole box full of holsters of varying quality (and I know I'm not the only holster addict out there). I buy good name brand holsters cheap at gun shows, on ebay, and at calguns, and by trying a bunch of styles, I figure out what works best for me. Once I've got that down, I focus on better holsters in the style I like. Sure, I kiss a lot of frogs looking for a good one, but that's part of the fun of it for me.

You might try reading up on what people like and don't like about their holsters at http://www.rigrate.com. Again, their preferences won't be the same as yours, but you'll get a feel for what people care about.

You'll also need a good, stiff belt, as a cheap belt will defeat the best of holsters. That's a whole 'nother topic...

randy
10-19-2007, 5:32 PM
The stuff in the pictures is junk.