PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas Laws?

glockk9mm
10-18-2007, 9:51 PM
I will be going out to Las Vegas this weekend with my oll, and my Hi-cap magazines. If I were to get pulled over on the way back into CA for whatever reason, and They were to see my mags how Can I prove that I had them when I left from CA, and That I'm not importing them from Nevada? Also I will be going to the north east las vegas area/Centenial Hills, does anyone know of places to shoot out there? Can I just go into the desert areas and shoot? I will be taking my vegas cousins shooting for the first time, they don't know where to shoot and not to shoot nor any laws. Is there a place where I can see the L.V./Nevada laws?

slick_711
10-18-2007, 9:58 PM
It's on LE to prove you didn't have them when you left. So in theory you shouldn't need to worry about it, but that is a valid concern.

I'm not sure how to tell you to address it. Perhaps some kind of notarized document or a photo of the mags @ your CA residence just so you have nothing to worry about.

glockk9mm
10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
a photo of the mags @ your CA residence just so you have nothing to worry about.

Thats what came to my mind also.

dfletcher
10-18-2007, 10:29 PM
I will be going out to Las Vegas this weekend with my oll, and my Hi-cap magazines. If I were to get pulled over on the way back into CA for whatever reason and they were to see my mags how can I prove that I had them when I left from CA, and That I'm not importing them from Nevada?

Well, you should take them out of the new plastic wrap that says "American Shooters Supply, Las Vegas NV" ........

Just kidding - maybe a photo of today's newspaper with your hi caps would be a little insurance policy.

Josh3239
10-18-2007, 11:12 PM
If your really that worried, break them down into parts and say they are rebuild kits.

glockk9mm
10-19-2007, 3:13 PM
If your really that worried, break them down into parts and say they are rebuild kits.

Never thought of that. Anyone know where to shoot in las vegas?

Glock22Fan
10-19-2007, 3:35 PM
I travel over the border and back several times a year with (Cali legal) 15 round Glock magazines. Never been stopped or asked about them.. I never give it a thought.

Unless you are the sort of person who leaves contraband in plain sight, or whose car smells of illegal substances, just put them in a case and don't worry. If you do get stopped, all you have to say is "There's nothing illegal in my car. No, you can't search it unless you have "Good Cause." If they insist, call Chuck Mitchel (I hope you keep his card in your wallet). Chuck Mitchel will also send you some large magnetic signs saying something like "WARNING TO POLICE, PERMISSION TO SEARCH THIS CONTAINER IS NOT GIVEN." I keep one of these on the steel case that my mags are in during transit.

To be really safe, photographs and a Cali notary's signature saying that the magazines and photographs were seen in California as of (date) would not come amiss.

glockk9mm
10-20-2007, 9:37 PM
Im in clark county centenial hills right now, off hi-way 95. Who knows of places to shoot around here In las vegas? I am finding it kinda hard to find a spot to shoot. I know alot of you have came out to vegas to shoot.

Thanks

sholling
10-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Just stop by the Sheriff's office and ask.

swhatb
10-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Chuck Mitchel will also send you some large magnetic signs saying something like "WARNING TO POLICE, PERMISSION TO SEARCH THIS CONTAINER IS NOT GIVEN." I keep one of these on the steel case that my mags are in during transit.

can you post of photo of this.... i got to see this :D

Shane916
10-21-2007, 12:12 AM
I travel over the border and back several times a year with (Cali legal) 15 round Glock magazines. Never been stopped or asked about them.. I never give it a thought.

Unless you are the sort of person who leaves contraband in plain sight, or whose car smells of illegal substances, just put them in a case and don't worry. If you do get stopped, all you have to say is "There's nothing illegal in my car. No, you can't search it unless you have "Good Cause." If they insist, call Chuck Mitchel (I hope you keep his card in your wallet). Chuck Mitchel will also send you some large magnetic signs saying something like "WARNING TO POLICE, PERMISSION TO SEARCH THIS CONTAINER IS NOT GIVEN." I keep one of these on the steel case that my mags are in during transit.

To be really safe, photographs and a Cali notary's signature saying that the magazines and photographs were seen in California as of (date) would not come amiss.

As you're aware an individual has no choice but to consent to a search and inspection of any firearm in your vehicle or on your persons.

lmnop
10-21-2007, 2:58 AM
Glockk9mm.... you said...Who knows of places to shoot around here In las vegas?.... I live in las Vegas and a Ranger told me to go south on the 604 (Las Vegas blvd) past the Salone exit. If you drive down a little ways you'll come to a tunnel. Turn left before the tunnel... You'll see a dry lake...find a safe place a shoot away. p.s if you hit Jean you went way to far.

Smokeybehr
10-21-2007, 10:03 AM
As you're aware an individual has no choice but to consent to a search and inspection of any firearm in your vehicle or on your persons.

PC section, please?

And besides, magazines are not firearms, and locked containers are not "readily available"

ke6guj
10-21-2007, 12:16 PM
12031.(e) In order to determine whether or not a
firearm is loaded for the purpose of enforcing this
section, peace officers are authorized to examine any
firearm carried by anyone on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street
in an incorporated city or prohibited area of an
unincorporated territory. Refusal to allow a peace
officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to this section
constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this
section.

Shane916
10-21-2007, 12:31 PM
section.

Indeed thanks :)

MedSpec65
10-21-2007, 1:07 PM
I'd just bring my CA compliant ten rounders and leave my pre-ban hi-caps at home. Why risk trouble with NV LEO's? Clarke County is home to legions of ex-CA liberals and is just as anti-gun as many parts of this State.

CSACANNONEER
10-21-2007, 1:14 PM
Just, don't worry about it. As long as you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about. Of course, bringing back a garbage bage with new packaging and/or reciepts along with a current CC statement showing recent purchases at different LV gun shops would not be a wise move.

Smokeybehr
10-21-2007, 1:35 PM
section.

That's only in relation to 12031(a). If you're 12025/12026 compliant, then there's no reason to perform a search. The whole point is the locked container. If the container is locked, they cannot search without either a warrant or consent.

Smokeybehr
10-21-2007, 1:36 PM
Just, don't worry about it. As long as you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about. Of course, bringing back a garbage bage with new packaging and/or reciepts along with a current CC statement showing recent purchases at different LV gun shops would not be a wise move.

That's why you pay cash, and leave the packaging in the Nevada trash.

ke6guj
10-21-2007, 1:52 PM
The way I read it is that 12025/12026 are completely separate from 12031. 12025/12026 basically say that concealed weapons are prohibited, but that a locked container complies with 12025/12026.

12031 says that a loaded firearm is prohibited, nothing about if it is in a locked container. 12025/12026 does not exempt you from 12031. So, peace officers are authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory. If an officer knew that there was a firearm in that locked container, he would be authorized to inspect it, and prohibiting him from doing so would be a violation.

Shane916
10-21-2007, 2:35 PM
That's only in relation to 12031(a). If you're 12025/12026 compliant, then there's no reason to perform a search.

True. On a majority of vehicle stops officers ask if you have any weapons in the car. I would advise to tell the truth :)

If the container is locked, they cannot search without either a warrant or consent.

or probable cause :)

Vehicles have a lower expectation to privacy, therefore are more easily searchable.

Riodog
10-21-2007, 7:05 PM
"in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory."

How about if you are not in a prohibited area in an unincorporated area? Such as in parts of Riverside county where it is perfectly legal to shoot.
Rio

CSACANNONEER
10-21-2007, 7:11 PM
So, just keep your guns in one locked container and your magazines in a separate lock container. This way the firearms can be inspected but, the other locked containers will need PC to search.

glockk9mm
10-21-2007, 9:28 PM
I'd just bring my CA compliant ten rounders and leave my pre-ban hi-caps at home. Why risk trouble with NV LEO's? Clarke County is home to legions of ex-CA liberals and is just as anti-gun as many parts of this State.

I just found out how anti clark co. is. Still no california.