PDA

View Full Version : Gun rights for Felons?

Liberty1
10-18-2007, 8:53 PM
http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/315358.html

Become a felon in Tennessee -- cheap!
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/sep/22/out-of-state-smokes-can-pose-hazard

http://www.wkrn.com/node/119424

Buying 25 cartons of cigarettes in the next state is now a felony. That's right, a lifetime loss of many civil rights. The amount of money involved? 250 packs x 19 cent difference (between Tennessee and Alabama) = $47.50 worth of excise taxes. But that's nothing new to the American law -- missing out of a $5 tax stamp for adding a second grip to a pistol is also a felony. We already discussed felony charges for ownership or sales of sex toys...

Next time you hear of proposal to deny voting or self-defense rights to felons, consider how close everyone is to becoming one...often without knowing it and almost always without victimizing anyone. Greedy revenuers trying to prohibit interstate commerce or morally offended puritans prying into your bedroom don't count as victims.

dfletcher
10-18-2007, 9:45 PM
Tennessee is a real SOB when it comes to this sort of thing - I believe they have the same approach with respect to alcohol. They send agents just across the line to Kentucky and check license plates - anyone from Tennessee who buys cigarettes or alcohol is stopped once they cross the line back into Tenn. Vehicles are subject to confiscation and there are big fines. And having been there recently most folks are OK with this.

I'd be kind of curious if those same people would be as supportive if Tennessee took the same approach with folks who go out of state to gas up (and avoid Tenn taxes) at lower prices.

DedEye
10-19-2007, 3:05 AM
Tennessee is a real SOB when it comes to this sort of thing - I believe they have the same approach with respect to alcohol. They send agents just across the line to Kentucky and check license plates - anyone from Tennessee who buys cigarettes or alcohol is stopped once they cross the line back into Tenn. Vehicles are subject to confiscation and there are big fines. And having been there recently most folks are OK with this.

I'd be kind of curious if those same people would be as supportive if Tennessee took the same approach with folks who go out of state to gas up (and avoid Tenn taxes) at lower prices.

I gotta ask, is this documented truth, or is this one of those pervasive myths like Californians who go to Nevada gun shows?

CSACANNONEER
10-19-2007, 6:21 AM
I gotta ask, is this documented truth, or is this one of those pervasive myths like Californians who go to Nevada gun shows?

It is a well documented fact! The Tennessee powers that be have even admitted to/bragged about doing this!

50ae
10-19-2007, 8:35 AM
Is this a federal law or state law?

Yankee Clipper
10-19-2007, 8:45 PM

When you were there, do people still go across the state line so they can buy hard liquor on Sundays? And then go to Tennessee restaurants/bars, order 'setups' and so they can drink their liquor legally?