PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 special

atavuss
10-18-2007, 5:19 PM
anyone have one? any comments?

Wild Bill
10-18-2007, 7:35 PM
I have one that I use for ccw. Great gun would not to be on the receiving end of this one.:D
:62:

AJAX22
10-18-2007, 7:48 PM
I believe it was what Son of Sam used

bwiese
10-18-2007, 7:51 PM
The newer CharterArms/Charco guns (of the last 5-7 years) are much better than the earlier ones - fit/finish, build quality, robustness, etc. The old ones supposedly got a bit rattly with age/shooting and were not that accurate (good enough for defensive blasting though)

A newer Bulldog Pug in 44Spl is something to be reckoned with.

savasyn
10-18-2007, 7:57 PM
I want one too ever since reading The Red Dragon(Manhunter) so many years ago. :)
Are they readily available here in the PRK?

Blue
10-19-2007, 8:02 AM
I've got an older Bulldog in 44 special and while I've never shot it, it feels light, and cheap.

bruss01
10-19-2007, 2:37 PM
I have a .44 bulldog bought in 04. I like it. I feel that it is a gun to be carried much and shot little. It's light and I don't doubt I'll get many years of enjoyment out of it, but that joy will consist of one or two range trips a year and occasionally accompanying me to places (camping, backpacking) where I might need protection but size and weight are of consequence.

I tried swapping out the rubber grips for a barami hip grip, but I just couldn't get sufficient purchase to really control the gun well. I like to think of it as the gun I could afford to lose. If you'll be using it for occasional defense, it'll likely serve you well. If you expect to go out and run 100 rounds thru it every week or treat it like Elmer Keith did his .44's, I don't know it'll be around all that long. Hey, if you want something built like a brick, buy a Ruger. But then you have the weight to deal with. Everything is a trade off. If this one got run over by a truck, I'd miss it, but I wouldn't cry me a river. I have some nice quality firearms that I'd be nearly inconsolable if they were lost, stolen, confiscated, or had to be "ditched" for whatever reason. This isn't one of them. And that's what I wanted it for.

atavuss
10-19-2007, 3:50 PM
I have a .44 bulldog bought in 04. I like it. I feel that it is a gun to be carried much and shot little. It's light and I don't doubt I'll get many years of enjoyment out of it, but that joy will consist of one or two range trips a year and occasionally accompanying me to places (camping, backpacking) where I might need protection but size and weight are of consequence.

I tried swapping out the rubber grips for a barami hip grip, but I just couldn't get sufficient purchase to really control the gun well. I like to think of it as the gun I could afford to lose. If you'll be using it for occasional defense, it'll likely serve you well. If you expect to go out and run 100 rounds thru it every week or treat it like Elmer Keith did his .44's, I don't know it'll be around all that long. Hey, if you want something built like a brick, buy a Ruger. But then you have the weight to deal with. Everything is a trade off. If this one got run over by a truck, I'd miss it, but I wouldn't cry me a river. I have some nice quality firearms that I'd be nearly inconsolable if they were lost, stolen, confiscated, or had to be "ditched" for whatever reason. This isn't one of them. And that's what I wanted it for.

that is the exact reason I was thinking about getting the Pug, I would rather it got damaged, lost, etc. then one of my other pistols that are not being made anymore. thanks for the input everyone!

ljg17
10-20-2007, 7:49 AM
The only gun that ever "hurt" to shoot. But that also makes it ideal for CCW.

atavuss
10-20-2007, 6:46 PM
The only gun that ever "hurt" to shoot. But that also makes it ideal for CCW.

after shooting my Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull then I am ready for anything! :eek: