PDA

View Full Version : Like to get an Ed Brown

Olav
10-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm looking to get an ED Brown SF .45 ACP.

I don't really like the name "Special Forces" so I wanted then to delete it from the handgun I purchased.

They said that they couldn't do any modifications to a CA approved gun before it was shipped to the customer.

Afterwards, I could get the Ti firing pin removed and the Ed Brown recommended firing pin reinstalled.

But, no way will they remove the "Special Forces" script or replace the slide with a blank slide because the slides are hand fitted.

I can't see the big deal just omitting the "Special Forces" script in the first place.

Is it me?

Thanks for any input.

What Just Happened?
10-18-2007, 12:00 PM
A handgun must be on the CA-approved list. And I assume that the features are also somewhere listed. If the lettering is somewhere on that list of features, then they wouldn't want to remove it. That or its a liability thing. Ed Brown wants to make absolutely sure that any handgun they sell is easily identifiable as one on the CA-approved list.

I imagine that it's the latter. You could just go to another gunsmith locally and have them remove the lettering. Tho' that would add to your wait and cost.

Kruzr
10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Is it me?
Because that change, while cosmetic and not requiring retesting, would still have to be listed as a model on the list, the same way different finishes are. Ed would have to file paperwork stating under oath that the gun is the same as the approved model. He would also have to pay the listing fee and the annual fee to have your bare slide SF on the list.

Read Section 12131.5 of the "Dangerous Weapons Control Law" on the B of F website.

Olav
10-18-2007, 12:14 PM
This is another weird thing that got me going down the path in the first place.

The only way to tell that that particular "Special Forces" pistol is CA approved is you have to call Ed Brown and tell them the serial number. They look it up and say "Yes" or "No". There is no external difference or marking just by looking at the gun.

I can see that the different finish would cause the gun to be bumped into a different handgun and needs to be approved but removing the script on the slide seems to trivial.

Also, they told me I can send the gun back to Ed Brown and get all the CA stuff removed which is the titanium firing pin and extra strong fp spring and it's still going to come up o.k.

I was going to ask if they could ship is with a temp slide and put the real slide on when I send it back to get the CA stuff removed. Do you think that would be out of line since they are a custom shop or would that be a problem somewhere.

Just thought I'd ask. I now don't really care anymore I just thought it was rather nit picky.

[I]Edit: Just read the Section 12131.5 of the "Dangerous Weapons Control Law" .

Ok it makes "sense" now....

Thanks for the responses....

Black_Talon
10-18-2007, 3:29 PM
The only way to tell that that particular "Special Forces" pistol is CA approved is you have to call Ed Brown and tell them the serial number. They look it up and say "Yes" or "No". There is no external difference or marking just by looking at the gun.

Not true. The Kali model has an ambi safety, the US version is single-sided only. And, of course, the Kali model is a few hundred dollars more than the US version.

Olav
10-19-2007, 8:33 AM
Not true. The Kali model has an ambi safety, the US version is single-sided only. And, of course, the Kali model is a few hundred dollars more than the US version.

The ambi is an option that costs an extra $70.00 anyone can get. They just put it on the CA gun to keep options open. So, the only way is to call in with the serial number to be sure.

kpblade
10-19-2007, 8:44 AM
The ambi is an option that costs an extra $70.00 anyone can get. They just put it on the CA gun to keep options open. So, the only way is to call in with the serial number to be sure.

I think the point was if it's a new pistol without the ambi, it isn't California approved, and you wouldn't have to investigate the serial#.

Black_Talon
10-19-2007, 3:17 PM
I think the point was if it's a new pistol without the ambi, it isn't California approved, and you wouldn't have to investigate the serial#.

Bingo!

Olav
10-19-2007, 8:27 PM

My point is just because it has ambi doesn't mean it is CA approved.