PDA

View Full Version : Who said MIM parts SUCKS???

Bongos
10-17-2007, 4:06 PM
Who said MIM parts SUCKS??? I DO... the slide release on my Springfield Armory TRP Operator broke, the part that the magazine lip pushed up on ..broke off...... this is BS for a +$1200 gun...why did SA went cheap in such an important part of the gun....:chris: Yea, I know I can call Springfield ..but what if this happened in the field or critical situation....you can't put a guarantee on that!!!

bwiese
10-17-2007, 4:27 PM
Um, whoa, boy...

That part may have failed regardless of its MIM status. I've heard of slide stops, etc. failing before on newer guns.

MIM technology may actually reduce these incidences - you were just the unfortunate victim of one failure and are trying to generalize.

ianS
10-17-2007, 5:10 PM
I've read of forged thumb safeties, sears, and hammers cracking or breaking on new guns (semi-custom) on 1911forum too. No matter how the part was fabricated if there's a defect thankfully it more often happens early. That's why its important to test your defense guns extensively no matter the make.

SVTNate
10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
The slide stop is even MIM on the PRO... but I've never once read a report of one breaking. Hell... I've never read of any problems of ANY kind with the Springfield PRO.

That said, none of my 1911's have MIM parts. I swapped out the slide stop on my Springfield Custom Carry for a Wilson Combat BulletProof piece, and the CC is essentially a PRO minus a couple features (frontstrap checkering, Black-T, night sights, ambi safety, and magwell are absent).

Army
10-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Fairly common break---as far as 1911's go. Don't blame MIM.

1911 in 916
10-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Give them a call. More like they will send a new one out for free.

Kruzr
10-18-2007, 8:20 AM
The slide stop is even MIM on the PRO... but I've never once read a report of one breaking. Hell... I've never read of any problems of ANY kind with the Springfield PRO.

That said, none of my 1911's have MIM parts. I swapped out the slide stop on my Springfield Custom Carry for a Wilson Combat BulletProof piece, and the CC is essentially a PRO minus a couple features (frontstrap checkering, Black-T, night sights, ambi safety, and magwell are absent).

Stuff breaks, every gun can have breakage. FWIW, I've seen one SA Pro crack the slide while shooting and another have the plunger tube fall off so they aren't "bulletproof" either. As far as Wilson parts, I've also broken 3 Wilson bulletproof extractors on 2 different guns over the years. I've also had broken original parts on a Brown and a Baer.

In fact, strangely enough, the only guns I haven't had any parts breakage problems are my two Kimbers with all the original MIM. That's a combined round count of over 50K between the two of them.

virulosity
10-18-2007, 9:31 AM
Get an HK.

: puts flame suit on :

Bongos
10-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Get an HK.

: puts flame suit on :

If what people are saying that this happens to MIM and Forged, than HK is in the same boat..Personally, I do not like HK handguns..too bulky

There rifles are a different story

RobG
10-18-2007, 10:09 AM
I saw the title and thought "Oh no, another Kimber bashing" :43:
But, its a SA bash. Nice to spread the love ;)
I tried to break the thumb safety on my Custom II after a bash on 1911 forum and couldn't. Probably just one of those things that occur.

RECCE556
10-18-2007, 10:25 AM
The only parts breakage I've had on my 1911's were MIM parts (Kimber and SA) so I never run MIM parts in my 1911's. Unnecessary? Maybe, but MIM has proven to be less durable in my experience.