PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Selected, Now The Other Stuff

SDJim
10-17-2007, 9:51 AM
As I wait for my Savage 10FCP to show up, I'm starting to get some of the other stuff I'm going to need.

I'm looking at a Harris bi-pod and as I'll be shooting it off a bench initially, it will be one of the 6-9" models, or should I get one of the 9 13's so I wont have to get two of them for when I start shooting off the ground??

The other question is . . . Swivel or no swivel . . . notched legs or no notches???

That and the scope base and rings . . . and several brands of match .308 and ummmmmm anything else??

PistolPete75
10-17-2007, 9:58 AM
9-13, swivel model.

spend as much money on a scope as you can afford. might want to ask prc to get hooked up on his ior scope. ior or a nikon tactical is a good way to go without breaking the bank.

rings try seekins, tps, badger.

ammo, load your own or buy federal gold medal match or black hills 168gr

wildcard
10-17-2007, 10:00 AM
6" - 9" Harris because the benchrest model will most likely be too short to shoot on a incline.

Swivel because when you get off the bench, the dirt/ grount/ terrain will not be even.

I prefer no notches because I don't have to depend on the springs for the legs to extend. Plus it's usually all or nothing. Very rarely do I have to set the legs to different heights.

I prefer the IOR Heavy Duty Rings and Base. Good price for a solid product. I prefer their one-piece base over others because they have the cutout over the port. This of course sacrifices some adjustments because you can't have rails where the cutout is. Other brands to consider are TPS, Badger, and Seekins.

As for ammo.. you can't go wrong with 168 gr Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills Match.

PistolPete75
10-17-2007, 10:04 AM
6" - 9" Harris because the benchrest model will most likely be too short to shoot on a incline.

Swivel because when you get off the bench, the dirt/ grount/ terrain will not be even.

I prefer no notches because I don't have to depend on the springs for the legs to extend. Plus it's usually all or nothing. Very rarely do I have to set the legs to different heights.

I prefer the IOR Heavy Duty Rings and Base. Good price for a solid product. I prefer their one-piece base over others because they have the cutout over the port. This of course sacrifices some adjustments because you can't have rails where the cutout is. Other brands to consider are TPS, Badger, and Seekins.

As for ammo.. you can't go wrong with 168 gr Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills Match.

i'm the opposite, i like the notches. i do use the notches frequently, depending on the distance and incline. personal preference of course.

wildcard
10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
i'm the opposite, i like the notches. i do use the notches frequently, depending on the distance and incline. personal preference of course.

How dare you disagree with a sniper (just a joke from a previous thread) :D

rksimple
10-17-2007, 10:11 AM
6"-9" IS the benchrest model. It is, by far, the most popular...with the swivel and notches. It will be a bit short when shooting up hill, but the 9-13 will be far too tall when shooting downhill (and level, for me). I use a pack or bag to get higher, when needed. I love the 6-9 as I get down pretty low when shooting. The notches make it fast to deploy to different heights, and I do this quite frequently.

Prc329
10-17-2007, 10:14 AM
I have a 6-9 notched leg and I also use the notches frequently. I like Warne bases. Good price and good rep.

wildcard
10-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Oh yeah.. the bipod w/o the leg notches has friction locks if you need to adjust the height.

RK is right.. the 9 - 13 is a bit high when shooting downhill.. but I just close up the legs and lay it on a pack or on the closed bipod.

Timberwolf
10-17-2007, 10:21 AM
You will want notched leg (faster to deploy YRMV) and swivel - as to 6-9 or 9-12 that depends on the weapon and your position. On my rifle with the AICS stock I have a real low position and use a 6 - 9; on my M40A1 I use a 9 - 12 because of the configuration of the stock.

Best advice there is to get into prone, support the front of your rifle with books and see where you are confortable and then measure the distance.

PistolPete75
10-17-2007, 10:23 AM
How dare you disagree with a sniper (just a joke from a previous thread) :D

sorry master sniper. i shall not disagree with you, since i am a poser. j/k. hehe

gotta get back to work, and become a certified real estate appraiser, or else i can't be a weekend warrior. peace.

Shane916
10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm a mall ninja sniper and use the 6-9.

Jicko
10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Jim,

Harris BRMS - 6-9", benchrest, leg-notch, swirvel

I've an extra "Pod Latch" for you, for easy locking of the swirvel. Just contact me once you got your bipod.