PDA

View Full Version : DROS a handgun = registration?

brassburnz
10-16-2007, 10:39 PM
My friend's father passed away recently and he was trying to figure out how to dispose of his handguns. (Non C & R) From what I understand of California law, the guns are now his, and he doesn't have to do a thing.

Another friend interjected that the guns need to be registered. I told him there's no such thing as "registration" of a handgun in California. I told him there are sales and transfers where you need a DROS, but that's not the same thing as registration. He insisted that the DROS and background check/waiting period, etc. is the registration.

I know intrafamilial transfers (parent to adult child) don't require a DROS. But I still have a question about "registration".

When we DROS a handgun, are we "registering" it? I think the answer is "no". I agree there's a paper trail, computer database, etc. created that can link that gun to me, but is it really a "registration"?

I've got handguns I purchased from a dealer 35 years ago. I remember having to wait to pick them up, but I don't remember or have in my possession anything that looks like a DROS. I have the bill of sale, but that's about it. Are these guns "registered" to me? I don't think so. At least not the way I think of the term "gun registration."

Your opinions are welcome.

Randy
NRA Life Member

M. D. Van Norman
10-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Registration of handguns has been required for a while now. Your friend can download the appropriate form here (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf).

leelaw
10-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Registration of handguns is required.

For a direct intrafamilial transfer like in this case (father --> son) all that needs to be done is an intrafamilial transfer form be submitted to CA DOJ. The form is available on the BOF's webpage. No waiting period is necessary, and the handguns do not need to be on the drop list (but they may not be assault weapons or other type of banned firearm)

Longguns direct from father to son do not require any paperwork.

ETA: About your handguns that you bought 35 years ago - no, there was no registration needed at that time. The beginning of the registration was 01/01/1991 (someone correct me if that's wrong, if so it's off by exactly a year) and is performed when DROS is run.

brassburnz
10-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the quick replies and the links to the transfer forms. I had forgotten about the law change effective 1991. I didn't realize "registration" was part of it. Thanks.

Randy
NRA Life Member

bwiese
10-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Leelaw is indeed correct on the date, 1 Jan 1991 is when PPTs started requiring paperwork.

Outlaw Josey Wales
10-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the quick replies and the links to the transfer forms. I had forgotten about the law change effective 1991. I didn't realize "registration" was part of it. Thanks.

Randy
NRA Life Member

"New research into Adolf Hitler's use of firearms registration lists to confiscate guns and the execution of their owners teaches a forceful lesson -- one that reveals why the American people and Congress have rejected registering honest firearm owners". Stephen Halbrook

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/registration_article/registration.html

Trader Jack
10-17-2007, 9:47 AM
Leelaw is indeed correct on the date, 1 Jan 1991 is when PPTs started requiring paperwork.

Bill; Won't he also need the death certificate of his father? Snce he is deceased he cannot sign the transfer.?:chris:

AJAX22
10-17-2007, 9:55 AM
Bill; Won't he also need the death certificate of his father? since he is deceased he cannot sign the transfer.?:chris:

Since his fathers guns are not registered, He technically should register them to himself via an inter familial transfer form prior to selling them. However it won't throw up any red flags if he sells a previously unregistered gun via PPT.

I'm not certain what probate documents is required if any to be able to sell off his deceased fathers guns, but so long as they are registered to Someone at the end of the 90? day period it should be ok. (this could be bad advice, take it for what its worth)

MudCamper
10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Any of the guns that were purchased before '91 could have been transfered from father to son without any paperwork, before '91, correct?

AJAX22
10-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Any of the guns that were purchased before '91 could have been transfered from father to son without any paperwork, before '91, correct?

correct, prior to 91 anyone could transfer a gun to anyone else without paperwork.

GenLee
10-17-2007, 11:31 AM
So if i bought two handguns last year from my dealer (gun shop), Did all my reqired paper work for the purchase (and we all know it was a bunch of paper work) waited my ten days on each. Am I still required to fill out the "Registration" form listed in M.D. Van Normans thread above? Please help......and if so have i boo booed and waited too long?

JawBone
10-17-2007, 11:38 AM
So if i bought two handguns last year from my dealer (gun shop), Did all my reqired paper work for the purchase (and we all know it was a bunch of paper work) waited my ten days on each. Am I still required to fill out the "Registration" form listed in M.D. Van Normans thread above? Please help......and if so have i boo booed and waited too long?

No, you are fine and do not need to do anything. Your handgun was registered automatically.

The form above is only for 1) Intrafamilial Transfers or 2) Transfer by Operation of Law.

tgriffin
10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Yep. Your father transfered those to you back in 1990, dont you remember??

Forestboy
10-18-2007, 6:12 AM
Yep. Your father transfered those to you back in 1990, dont you remember??

Unless he was 12 in 1990......:D