PDA

View Full Version : 1st handgun question

b__josh
10-16-2007, 10:02 PM
hey guys, new here to the forum and handguns in general. been going to the shooting range a few times and i think i like it!

so i'm toying with the idea of buying my first handgun (as a hobby, not for self defense), instead of renting it at the range. if i have my own handgun i can shoot by myself and not have another person with me (range rules, if i rent their guns i need another person present).. which means i can pretty much go shoot anytime and not have to lug a friend along with me..

my question is... i am in the process of a back ground investigation for my new job (defense contractor). will purchasing a handgun through legal means.. (i.e HSC and 10 day waiting peroid) affect my background check? any ideas if it would be favorable for me to just wait til my job clears me before i purchase?

also, has anyone dealt with CDNN or any online line retailers and having their handguns shipped to a local gun shop dealer in San Diego? was it a hassel? as in the gun shop wouldnt do the transfer from a different shop since i didnt purchase the gun through theirs?

any help would be great. thanks guys!:D

leelaw
10-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Legally buying a handgun shouldn't affect your background, unless it's for the Brady Campaign or something :p

I've never dealt wit CDNN, but check your local shop for pricing before you look out of state. Some shops tack on enough transfer fees to not make it worth buying from a discount retailer out of state, plus you have to pay shipping.

dfletcher
10-16-2007, 11:03 PM
hey guys, new here to the forum and handguns in general. been going to the shooting range a few times and i think i like it!

so i'm toying with the idea of buying my first handgun (as a hobby, not for self defense), instead of renting it at the range. if i have my own handgun i can shoot by myself and not have another person with me (range rules, if i rent their guns i need another person present).. which means i can pretty much go shoot anytime and not have to lug a friend along with me..

my question is... i am in the process of a back ground investigation for my new job (defense contractor). will purchasing a handgun through legal means.. (i.e HSC and 10 day waiting peroid) affect my background check? any ideas if it would be favorable for me to just wait til my job clears me before i purchase?

also, has anyone dealt with CDNN or any online line retailers and having their handguns shipped to a local gun shop dealer in San Diego? was it a hassel? as in the gun shop wouldnt do the transfer from a different shop since i didnt purchase the gun through theirs?

any help would be great. thanks guys!:D

It's probably not a big deal, but unless you feel like buying a handgun straight away, might as well wait until your job background is done. Unless you know for a fact that it's a moot point, I'd do the wait.

When buying a handgun out of state you'll find three fairly common themes. First, you must ensure the handgun is certified for sale in California. Keep in mind the better the deal and more you want the handgun, the more likely it is not available for sale in CA.

Second, you'll find alot of out of state companies have a reflexive "Not for Sale in CA" policy, even though selling whatever they may have is OK in CA. CDNN goes back in forth on that one.

And finally, that great deal you can get on a handgun out of state loses its luster when you add shipping, transfer & DROS fees from the CA FFL who will do the deal for you. Most FFL dealers are fine doing a transfer, they won't have their feelings hurt if you have them do the transfer only.

Just a suggestion - find a good local store and develop a relationship and make a few buys through them. Maybe it will run a few dollars more in the short term but you'll get helpful information on the way.

USMC0811
10-16-2007, 11:13 PM
It's probably not a big deal, but unless you feel like buying a handgun straight away, might as well wait until your job background is done. Unless you know for a fact that it's a moot point, I'd do the wait.

When buying a handgun out of state you'll find three fairly common themes. First, you must ensure the handgun is certified for sale in California. Keep in mind the better the deal and more you want the handgun, the more likely it is not available for sale in CA.

Second, you'll find alot of out of state companies have a reflexive "Not for Sale in CA" policy, even though selling whatever they may have is OK in CA. CDNN goes back in forth on that one.

And finally, that great deal you can get on a handgun out of state loses its luster when you add shipping, transfer & DROS fees from the CA FFL who will do the deal for you. Most FFL dealers are fine doing a transfer, they won't have their feelings hurt if you have them do the transfer only.

Just a suggestion - find a good local store and develop a relationship and make a few buys through them. Maybe it will run a few dollars more in the short term but you'll get helpful information on the way.

I couldn't explain this any better. I'm also new to this site, but have been reading post here for awhile. I've been shopping for another pistol thanks to our great governor :eek: and have found better deals online than in-store. but when you add 50-60 transfer fee, tax, and dros its about the same as in-store, plus waiting for shipping. On one hand i've been hanging out at my local gun ranges and they have offered me some pretty sweet deals.

b__josh
10-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the fast responses... and it all does really make sense. all the additional fees, taxes and shipping does add up to being almost the same or not much worth it in the end to buy out of state.

the handgun i was looking at is the Steyr M9A1. CDNN has it for i think for around $349.99 plus $10 shipping.. add in the DROS $25 plus the transfer fees and the taxes... it adds up to little saving in the end.

so i think i'll just hang out at the shooting range i've been shooting at and "build" that relationship with them and see if they can help me out. besides, if for some reason the gun acts up.. its always nice to bring it to the store you bought it from to get checked out

thanks for the help guys...