PDA

View Full Version : CA Laws Regarding Conversion of a Rifle to a Pistol?

Calguns2000
10-16-2007, 6:42 PM
Assuming it is legal under federal law (is it?), is there any provision of California state law that prohibits the conversion of a legally owned rifle into a pistol?

aplinker
10-16-2007, 6:58 PM
Precisely how many threads are you going to start today about pistol legalities?

You are capable of searching, are you not?

What is the point of this, anyways? Since it's illegal federally, then how precisely do you intend to get around it?

http://www.handgunhunt.com/images/t29/part1.jpg

Fjold
10-16-2007, 7:48 PM
OK putting aside the fact that the earth will continue to rotate. If it stopped, what rifle would you convert to a pistol if you were on the dark side of the earth?

OK, now what rifle would you convert to a pistol of you were on the bright side of the earth?

Now if you just happened to be right on the line between dark and light which one would you choose?

Calguns2000
10-16-2007, 7:49 PM
I was under the impression it was legal to convert a rifle to AOW status if you register it under the NFA--you are saying this is not the case? FYI, your letter says its legal if you register it under the NFA. AOW's are legal in California...

aplinker
10-16-2007, 7:51 PM
I was under the impression it was legal to convert a rifle to AOW status if you register it under the NFA--you are saying this is not the case? FYI, your letter says its legal if you register it under the NFA.

You can convert a rifle to a short barreled rifle under NFA. All NFA items are illegal in CA. Is that the answer you're looking for?

bwiese
10-16-2007, 7:53 PM
I was under the impression it was legal to convert a rifle to AOW status if you register it under the NFA--you are saying this is not the case? FYI, your letter says its legal if you register it under the NFA. AOW's are legal in California...

Hmm, I'm pretty damned sure stocked shotguns can't become AOWs if the receiver ever had stock attached (i.e, was actually a shotgun instead of a firearm that happens to fire shotgun shells).

Typically 12GA AOWs start out from virgin receivers or maybe "Cruiser" 12GA non-shotguns.

Calguns2000
10-16-2007, 7:58 PM
Hmm, I'm pretty damned sure stocked shotguns can't become AOWs if the receiver ever had stock attached (i.e, was actually a shotgun instead of a firearm that happens to fire shotgun shells).

Typically 12GA AOWs start out from virgin receivers or maybe "Cruiser" 12GA non-shotguns.Let's say you take an AR rifle and remove the stock and add a forward handgrip--Bill is it your understanding that federal law will prohibit registration as an AOW under the NFA?

bwiese
10-16-2007, 8:05 PM
Let's say you take an AR rifle and remove the stock and add a forward handgrip--Bill is it your understanding that federal law will prohibit registration as an AOW under the NFA?

When you do NFA stuff, you *get permission + pay tax first* then you 'pull the trigger'. You don't make the mods first and then file papers.

I believe ATF AOW policy requires that no stock is, and never has been, attached to the receiver. I think the 12GA stuff w/r/t stocks I mentioned above also is applicable to rifle matters.

-hanko
10-16-2007, 8:15 PM
Let's say you take an AR rifle and remove the stock and add a forward handgrip--Bill is it your understanding that federal law will prohibit registration as an AOW under the NFA?
Dr. Weise is spot on as to aow shotguns; they start w/ a naked receiver. Advantage, assuming it were legal in the peoples' commune, is that starting with something like a Moss Cruiser is simply manufacturing an AOW with a $5 tax stamp; taking a stocked shotgun to the same result would be manufacturing an sbs with its $200 ante fee.

I have read, but not verified, that aow's on the atf's c&r list may be owned by ca residents and stored in ca.

Your goal of an nfa weapon in Ca is reasonable. Your due diligence is definitely lacking. I'd suggest enough time reading the federal and state laws might be a good start. http://www.titleii.com might also be a starting point. Be sure you understand where you end up and for how long if you screw up. Pretty sure federal sentences don't allow for probation or parole.;)

Be aware that you apply to own the gun well before you receive a finished weapon or begin building your own.

-hanko

bwiese
10-16-2007, 11:30 PM
It may be possible to have a centerfire AOW providing it didn't start out as a rifle or pistol (virgin receiver).

I am looking into it ;)