PDA

View Full Version : Why is this illegal to ship to CA?

POINTMANDDT
10-16-2007, 9:15 AM
Hello Everyone,

Well, the title says it all! Why wouldn't cheaper then dirt send this to CA?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR283-45051-1404.html

From what I understand it is legal to have as long as you have a locked none detachable mag. Is it just their way of playing it safe? Aslo, I just found out today that a warranty card I got from PTR Enterprises is okay for me to send off. But, If I ever send my rifle to be fixed they can't send it back to California. Lastly, where can I find some 10/20 rd mags for the PTR-91?

Thanks in advancement for any help,

POINT

dfletcher
10-16-2007, 9:18 AM
It's not illegal. CTD, like so many other companies often do, takes the "I don't want to bother" approach with some items that are perfectly legal. Midway won't ship empty brass to me in San Fran.

POINTMANDDT
10-16-2007, 4:21 PM
thanks for the reply:gunsmilie:

Q
10-16-2007, 5:44 PM
You can order one from centerfiresystems $150 http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=535 . You want to call and ask for a hand picked one. ;)

Creeping Incrementalism
10-16-2007, 6:42 PM
It's not illegal. CTD, like so many other companies often do, takes the "I don't want to bother" approach with some items that are perfectly legal. Midway won't ship empty brass to me in San Fran.

Wow, you gotta be kidding me. Do you know what they base that on? Is that listed on their website?

I have a personal boycott against CTD after I discovered their anti-CA restrictions, and won't even try Sportsman's Guide because of what I've heard, but I just came across one on U.S. Cav I think is bad, and now I think if I boycotted every mail-order house that won't ship legal goods to CA, I would only be buying from the small places and nicke and dime myself to death with the additional costs of shipping many items in many orders, as opposed to grabbing all the stuff I want in one order.

tenpercentfirearms
10-16-2007, 8:45 PM
It helps that I am an FFL, but I won't help those that won't do lawful business with us. I make very few orders from Jerrys Sport Center anymore because they don't "honor your high capacity magazine permit". WTF? :confused:

I support those who support us.

LAK Supply
10-16-2007, 9:19 PM
It's not illegal... the sellers are either idiots or practicing CYA waaaaaay too much. I sell knives like this to CA residents all the time.

Edit: Oops.... Thought it was the CRKT thread.

Nra-Life-Member
10-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Some large companies don't want to do the research to see if the product is legal or not..

Scotty
10-17-2007, 8:42 AM
I have a personal boycott against CTD after I discovered their anti-CA restrictions, and won't even try Sportsman's Guide because of what I've heard

Some of those companies won't sell to certain counties in California because the screwed up. I can't remember which one, but one of them sold something that IS illegal and sold it to a minor. The county DA was going to prosecute unless they agreed to stop selling in that county.

jjperl
10-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Because they simply don't like California. If you've ever traveled out of state and have gone to a gun store you might know what I mean.

gwl
10-17-2007, 2:09 PM

They won't ship EMPTY brass to you, WTF! :confused: Are they afraid you'll poke someone in the eye with it?

I may as well forget about ordering live ammo from them. :mad:

God Bless The Mauser
10-17-2007, 2:36 PM
Because they simply don't like California. If you've ever traveled out of state and have gone to a gun store you might know what I mean.

Lots of people that live here don't like it.

1064chubbs
10-17-2007, 3:23 PM
they wont ship an sks muzzle break because its illegal:confused: they are just idiots at CTD

grywlfbg
10-17-2007, 6:38 PM
It helps that I am an FFL, but I won't help those that won't do lawful business with us. I make very few orders from Jerrys Sport Center anymore because they don't "honor your high capacity magazine permit". WTF? :confused:

I support those who support us.

Wes! Speaking if high-cap mags, any updates on legal opinions surrounding the high-cap sale stuff? I'm reminded as I'm sitting here in Buttonwillow (going to the track tomorrow) I'm close to your shop!

EricCartmann
10-17-2007, 6:46 PM
these retailers are not lawyers, they just don't want to get in trouble. best way to avoid trouble is don't go looking for it. how do they know what is legal and not legal in CA these days? I am sure the CA DOJ will have no problems going after these retailer full force... so basically they are just protecting themselves.

CaMakarovnik
10-17-2007, 8:26 PM
While I won't support vendors who wont ship certain items to CA or LA county even if legal, I can't get too angry at the people. How would you like to be responsible for remembering all the rules and regulations for shipping ammo, handguns, long guns, cases, bullets, powder, knives, swords, and ohmigod nunchucks to such 2A friendly states as CA, MA, NY, NJ, MD where different counties will have different requirements.

Except Sportsman's Guide, of course, who will burn in hell for other sins.

Does anybody keep a list of CA-friendly companies? I've had good luck with Natchez Shooters Supply, Dan's Ammo and Centerfire Systems.

And support your local gun shop whenever economically feasible. Often CA sales or use tax=shipping so its just as cost effective to purchase locally.

dfletcher
10-17-2007, 8:56 PM
They won't ship EMPTY brass to you, WTF! :confused: Are they afraid you'll poke someone in the eye with it?

I may as well forget about ordering live ammo from them. :mad:

If you're in San Fran, yes.

Regarding the brass mailing restriction, that's Midway's approach - Graf, MidSouth, Lock, Stock & Barrel are all fine. Along with no brass from Midway, it's no bullets (as in bullets for reloading, not loaded ammo) either. But they will ship Encore pistol barrels and and rimfire conversion units for 1911s. Makes sense, right?

My favorite - CTD (or maybe it was Sportsmans) had a "No Sales to CA" on a wooden FAL stock. Not a lower, not a whole damn gun - a plain wooden FAL stock.

Despite many attempts with Midway, they continue to do the "we've been told by someone somewhere that bullets & brass are prohibited" but if you can show us they are not, we'll talk. How the hell am I supposed to prove something doesn't exist? I don't bother, I shop elsewhere.

12:13
10-18-2007, 6:06 PM
I was on the CTD site having an IM with one of their "technicians" yesterday before I even found this thread. I asked why they wouldn't send the collapsible stock here to the PRK. I also asked if it was that they didn't understand our f'd up laws or were they bullied by CADOJ. His response was that they have an "expert" that they confer with on CA laws and also with the DA's. Draw your own conclusion:mad: