PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunting!

joel1316
10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Turkey Season opens next month!
I'm going to try and get some time off and avoid the weekend craziness.
I have a question for you experts. I plan to hunt in an area that's about 2.5 hours from home. If I'm lucky to get a bird and get it into a cooler fast, do I still need to field dress or can it wait until I get home?

This will be my first time. I've got my calls and have been practicing, watching videos. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll be using a turkey choked Mossberg 500 with 2 3/4" #4 (buck) shells. I should have gotten some 3" now that I think about it. I went with less pellets and higher FPS.

redneckshootist
10-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Turkey Season opens next month!
I'm going to try and get some time off and avoid the weekend craziness.
I have a question for you experts. I plan to hunt in an area that's about 2.5 hours from home. If I'm lucky to get a bird and get it into a cooler fast, do I still need to field dress or can it wait until I get home?

This will be my first time. I've got my calls and have been practicing, watching videos. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll be using a turkey choked Mossberg 500 with 2 3/4" #4 (buck) shells. I should have gotten some 3" now that I think about it. I went with less pellets and higher FPS.

you need to field dress the bird right after the kill the sonner the better. #4 buck is too big you wont have much meat left with that. I use 3" no 5 designed for turkeys in my mossy 500 use a full choke and pattern the gun before hand.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20841&rid=&indexId=cat20841&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=3&parentType=index&parentId=cat20841&id=0014389

joel1316
10-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the link! Also thanks for info about field dressing and going #5 instead. I'll order up some Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey Loads. The Elite version is almost $4.00 every time you pull the trigger! I'm sure its worth it though....

Crazyhorse
10-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I've always hunted turkeys with a .22 mag. No pellets to chew on :). As for dressing we always did it asap so I would just do it in the field. Make sure to take some pictures.

ar15barrels
10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
If I'm lucky to get a bird and get it into a cooler fast, do I still need to field dress or can it wait until I get home?

Ever wonder why it's called "field dressing"?
Perhaps the answer to your question is right there...

redneckshootist
10-16-2007, 11:52 AM
I've always hunted turkeys with a .22 mag. No pellets to chew on :). As for dressing we always did it asap so I would just do it in the field. Make sure to take some pictures.

I'd be carfull when useing .22mag. metods of take only include shotguns and air rifes larger than .20 cal (pg 15 section 311 of upland game regulations)

Crazyhorse
10-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I'd be carfull when useing .22mag. metods of take only include shotguns and air rifes larger than .20 cal (pg 15 section 311 of upland game regulations)

I'm sorry I thought about that after I posted. I only hunt turkeys in OK so I'm not up on the Cali regs. Thanks for the info.

Hunter
10-16-2007, 1:43 PM
...This will be my first time. I've got my calls and have been practicing, watching videos. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.....

Well since this is the fall season, calls will probably not do you any good for trying to call birds in. Mating season is in the spring. You can try an owl or crow call to locate them in the morning, but then you are pretty much on your own trying to bushwack them as the come off the roost or stalk them after that.

Now the spring hunt is exactly like you see in your videos, just setup and call in the tom's. OK not quite that easy but pretty close sometimes.

joel1316
10-16-2007, 2:03 PM
Well since this is the fall season, calls will probably not do you any good for trying to call birds in. Mating season is in the spring. You can try an owl or crow call to locate them in the morning, but then you are pretty much on your own trying to bushwack them as the come off the roost or stalk them after that.

Now the spring hunt is exactly like you see in your videos, just setup and call in the tom's. OK not quite that easy but pretty close sometimes.

Thanks for the heads up! That is something I definately over looked! I kinda wondered why they had crow calls in the Turkey section...

For Fall hunting, we are allowed to take (1) Male or Female, hopefully that really increases my odds of success.

chico.cm
10-16-2007, 3:04 PM
Fall turkey hunting is purely spot and stalk type hunting.
As for field dressing, unless you plan to cook the whole bird,
breast it out in the field and get the meat on ice, then leave the rest of the bird out of the cooler, to use as you see fit.

As for shooting, you can kill a turkey with any 2 3/4 or larger shell, size 5 or better if you head shoot him like your supposed to.

You can do yourself a big favor by either drawing on paper or buying some turkey head/neck targets and "pattern" your shotgun with various loads.
Winchester Supreme are serious thump loads to both the bird and your shoulder. They really only get you more range and aren't necessary within about a 40 yd shot.
I have killed all my turkeys with a head shot using # 4's out of a 2 3/4 gun.

Good luck!

joel1316
10-17-2007, 8:04 AM
Say, I goof a shot into the turkeys body using #4 or #5 2 3/4" shell, I know there are a lot of other factors, but will the pellets go through the feathers? Basically, if I miss the head, will I be spitting out pellets for dinner?

Thanks for helping out this newb.

ar15barrels
10-17-2007, 8:35 AM
if I miss the head, will I be spitting out pellets for dinner?

Yes.

joel1316
10-17-2007, 9:01 AM
Thanks....
If the weather is decent, I'm going to the range and pattern the ammo I bought along with the choke I'm using.

Hunter
10-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Say, I goof a shot into the turkeys body using #4 or #5 2 3/4" shell, I know there are a lot of other factors, but will the pellets go through the feathers? Basically, if I miss the head, will I be spitting out pellets for dinner?

Thanks for helping out this newb.

They will but they maynot be a lethal hit and you will end up maybe loosing the bird as he runs/flys off.

I had what I thought was a good shot on a bird at 25 yrds, but at the last minute I screwed up and hit the bird in the breast area. It rolled him good but then he recovered and took off. We found him a while later and put him down and on cleaning we found the pellets had penetrated the breast but only a couple into the body cavity. Basically it just was not enough to do him in and a lot of energy is lossed going thru the feathers and thru the heavy breast area.

On another shot at 19 yrds, my son shot low and while it killed the bird ( due to some pellets in the neck area), the bulk fo the shot was into the breast at a quartering angle. When we cleaned the bird there were lots and lots of copper #5s stuck in the breast and most failed to go into the body cavity. Plus being closer to the front of the bird, there is really only more breast muscle on the other aside anyways.

So the take away message is ALWAYS try for that head shot. The next best thing is too actually break a leg to keep the bird down. Body shots are very easily screwed up and you have a much higher risk of loosing the bird, especially with one nailed towards the frontal area of the bird.

ohsmily
11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
My buddy and I each got a turkey this weekend. This was around the Winters area (East of Davis, North of Vacaville).

We had it on good info that a couple of different groups of turkeys come marching through a particular spot every morning and afternoon. Well, sure enough, around 3:30PM or so, a group of about 15 turkey marched through. We had picked the exact right spot and my buddy got a 30 yard (approximately) shot off and had a clean kill. My shot was a little longer b/c I was afraid they would scatter. However, it ended up being a clean kill as well (only 1 pellet in the body). Each bird weighed 15-20 pounds before plucking and cleaning. I may decide to start a new thread with pics for this one.

BTW, I roasted the turkey yesterday using rosemary, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and then prepared a balsamic glaze for it. It was FANTASTIC. Sorry to make y'all a little jealous ;)

moulton
11-13-2007, 8:59 PM
how long does the season last.... im going boar hunting this or next saturday and I might bring along my shotgun just incase I see one:chris:

redneckshootist
11-13-2007, 9:39 PM
My buddy and I each got a turkey this weekend. This was around the Winters area (East of Davis, North of Vacaville).

We had it on good info that a couple of different groups of turkeys come marching through a particular spot every morning and afternoon. Well, sure enough, around 3:30PM or so, a group of about 15 turkey marched through. We had picked the exact right spot and my buddy got a 30 yard (approximately) shot off and had a clean kill. My shot was a little longer b/c I was afraid they would scatter. However, it ended up being a clean kill as well (only 1 pellet in the body). Each bird weighed 15-20 pounds before plucking and cleaning. I may decide to start a new thread with pics for this one.

BTW, I roasted the turkey yesterday using rosemary, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and then prepared a balsamic glaze for it. It was FANTASTIC. Sorry to make y'all a little jealous ;)

got one on saturday too. I was in the esparto area on my buddys ranch. mine waighed in at 17lbs

damon1272
11-13-2007, 9:49 PM
Just make sure you get the dumb turkeys. The one I always run into know how to read. They are always on the otherside of the sign that says'"No Hunting".
All joking aside, I do have a serious question. Is it considered not ethical to shoot a turkey in flight? I would imagine that it is not considered ethical or fair chase but wanted opinions.

FatKatMatt
11-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Do you just need an upland bird tag for turkey? Is there any other legal stuff one should be worried about before going on a hunt?

moulton
11-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Do you just need an upland bird tag for turkey? Is there any other legal stuff one should be worried about before going on a hunt?

make sure to have a plug if you are using a pump shotgun

joel1316
11-14-2007, 8:39 AM
Patterned my shotgun on Sunday and found that my Mossberg 500 likes Remington 3" #5 shells. It shoots about 6" high at about 25 yards though, wish I could adjust my sights....

I'm going out tomorrow, Thursday.

Hunter
11-14-2007, 9:16 AM
... I do have a serious question. Is it considered not ethical to shoot a turkey in flight? ...

No problem with shooting them on the ground or in flight. Just don't shoot them while roosting in the trees!

chico.cm
11-14-2007, 1:55 PM
Upland game stamp is all you need. Well, that and lots of patience.:rolleyes: