PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec PU16

dfletcher
10-15-2007, 9:53 AM
Rather than further hi jack the SU16 thread I've posted the link here regarding the Kel Tec PU 16.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=72064

Seems Kel Tec responded quickly to the bullet button and pistol grip stock request for their rifle. Setting aside whether the rifle is good or bad as is or the wisdom of going fixed 10 round mag, doesn't a fixed mag (and removing the barrel threads) make the PU16 pistol OK for CA possession & PPT?

A friend of mine is moving to Redding from Oregon - if CA legalized he will be able to bring a PU with him. A few questions regarding a PPT.

First, doing a PPT means getting an FFL willing to do so - is that going to be a problem?

Second, would DOJ take an interest in this item? I'm 100% CA legal on all my items, but do have a fixed mag FAL, Mech Tech unit & folding stock Mini (kept separate & the Mini 14 is housed always in a CA legal regular stock) so don't need them deciding to visit me and make trouble. Living in San Fran probably doesn't help.

Finally, can a PU16 be "self DROS'd" as in I send in the paperwork myself, bypassing the FFL, just as could be done on any other non - rostered handgun?

I'm not a big Kel Tec fan, but for a novelty the gun is appealing. And being in CA & OR so often a 223 pistol that can be "unCaliforniaized" with a detach Beta Mag seems like much fun.

Quiet
10-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Yes, your friend can PPT a Kel-Tec PLR-16 with bullet button to you once he moves to CA.

Phugedaboudet
10-16-2007, 3:10 PM
um, IIRC-pistols have to be "white listed" to be allowed into CA don't they? which means if it's not on the list, you're not getting one no matter what?

There's no PLR-16 on the DOJ list of approved handguns, much like there's no Taurus M410 revolver:(

maxicon
10-16-2007, 3:19 PM
If it's not on the list, it can be brought in and PPT'd as long as it meets all other California laws (ie, no AW). Doesn't have to be on The List.

The Taurus 410 is illegal in CA as a short-barrel shotgun, I believe, so it can't be brought in at all.

Cazach
10-16-2007, 3:23 PM
IIRC, the PLR-16 would probably be an AW due to the magwell outside the grip and the threaded barrel.

aplinker
10-16-2007, 3:27 PM
IIRC, the PLR-16 would probably be an AW due to the magwell outside the grip and the threaded barrel.

doesn't a fixed mag (and removing the barrel threads) make the PU16 pistol OK for CA possession & PPT?

He specifically mentions the conditions that would keep it from being an AW.

"assault pistols" features are, just like with rifles, for detachable magazine pistols. You can do any of those if you don't have a drop-mag.

Keep in mind you can NEVER put a stock on it and NEVER put a vertical fore-grip.

Quiet
10-16-2007, 3:41 PM
PC 12276.1
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

A Kel-Tec PLR-16 with a magazine locked 10 round mag is not considered an assault weapon and can be PPT in CA.

PC 12020
(c)(1) As used in this section, a "short-barreled shotgun" means any of the following:
(A) A firearm which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell and having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.
(B) A firearm which has an overall length of less than 26 inches and which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
PC 12276.1
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

The Taurus Judge and it's predecessor the MIL Inc Thunder Five are considered both short barreled shotguns & assault weapons in CA and thus are not legal.

Cazach
10-17-2007, 8:29 AM
He specifically mentions the conditions that would keep it from being an AW.

"assault pistols" features are, just like with rifles, for detachable magazine pistols. You can do any of those if you don't have a drop-mag.

Keep in mind you can NEVER put a stock on it and NEVER put a vertical fore-grip.

Ahhh. I see now. How would you load such a beast? The SU's don't exactly crack open like an AR.

aplinker
10-17-2007, 9:02 AM
Ahhh. I see now. How would you load such a beast? The SU's don't exactly crack open like an AR.

Bullet button... where have you been the past year?

Cazach
10-17-2007, 1:01 PM
Bullet button... where have you been the past year?

I am heavily medicated so my clouded brain saw fixed mag and all I was thinking was the prince 50 or sporting conversions kits.

Now after much orange juice and a nap, I understand. :D

Phugedaboudet
10-17-2007, 1:55 PM
but..but..it has a rifled barrel..surely that lets it get by? *whine*

If it's not on the list, it can be brought in and PPT'd as long as it meets all other California laws (ie, no AW). Doesn't have to be on The List.

The Taurus 410 is illegal in CA as a short-barrel shotgun, I believe, so it can't be brought in at all.

Phugedaboudet
10-17-2007, 1:57 PM
does this mean I could've gotten that Mateba Unica 9 I wanted two years ago?:(

QUOTE=maxicon;794996]If it's not on the list, it can be brought in and PPT'd as long as it meets all other California laws (ie, no AW). Doesn't have to be on The List.

The Taurus 410 is illegal in CA as a short-barrel shotgun, I believe, so it can't be brought in at all.[/QUOTE]

Quiet
10-17-2007, 6:00 PM
does this mean I could've gotten that Mateba Unica 9 I wanted two years ago?:(
Yes.
I believe there is someone on calguns with a few Mateba revolvers.

:Pirate:

aplinker
10-17-2007, 6:42 PM
Don't confuse "brought in" with a resident of CA bringing the gun in and someone moving to CA with the gun.

An out of state resident who owns an off-list gun can keep their gun when they move to CA. That person can then sell it when they get here as a PPT.

dfletcher
10-17-2007, 8:04 PM
I'm amazed at the simplicity of the Kel Tec "bullet button" - about $.02 of aluminium sheet.

Regarding PPT - I understand the face to face.

Can a person do an intra family - Mom/Dad is out of state - and do the registration themself? I've read the transfer form. How will DOJ react when they see PU 16 listed under handgun type?

aplinker
10-17-2007, 8:20 PM
I'm amazed at the simplicity of the Kel Tec "bullet button" - about $.02 of aluminium sheet.

Regarding PPT - I understand the face to face.

Can a person do an intra family - Mom/Dad is out of state - and do the registration themself? I've read the transfer form. How will DOJ react when they see PU 16 listed under handgun type?

You can get anything you want "gifted" to you from a parent or grandparent (or child), as long as it's not an assault weapon.

The DOJ won't react. As long as it's not on the Kasler or Roberti/Roos list.

Have them send along a couple Caspian & STI frames, Cobray, AR, AK, Coharie and mini-Uzi pistol receivers they're no longer going to use, just for me. ;)

dfletcher
10-17-2007, 9:37 PM
You can get anything you want "gifted" to you from a parent or grandparent (or child), as long as it's not an assault weapon.

My concern is that although it's not on the list, wouldn't someone @ DOJ see "KelTec PU16" and - even if by accident - know the PU (in an unaltered condition) has a detach mag and threaded barrel and that there's nothing on the paper I sent in that tells him it's been CA OK'd.

Quiet
10-17-2007, 9:42 PM
My concern is that although it's not on the list, wouldn't someone @ DOJ see "KelTec PU16" and - even if by accident - know the PU (in an unaltered condition) has a detach mag and threaded barrel and that there's nothing on the paper I sent in that tells him it's been CA OK'd.

No, CA DOJ won't react aversely to it being PPT'd.

PS. It's a Kel-Tec PLR-16 not a Kel-Tec PU-16.
:Pirate:

aplinker
10-17-2007, 9:58 PM

People can and have PPT'd things like OL mini-UZI's, Cobrays, HK SP89's, etc...