PDA

View Full Version : Another 1911 Question

What Just Happened?
10-15-2007, 9:39 AM
I know, its another 1911 / O-frame question and I'm sure you're sick of hearing them. I'm a grad student who works more hours than he really should, meaning there's a bit of money left over even after rent, food, tuition, and ammo (priorities in that order). I currently have a Sig Mosquito, CZ-P01, and a S&W model 10. You'll notice that the caliber has slowly been moving upwards. I've been meaning to purchase a 1911 and with AB1471 just passing, I've decided that one will be purchased very shortly. This past weekend I went to my local range (the Huntington Beach Firing Line) and tried the only 1911 they have, a Kimber Custom II. I like the size of it, its recoil, and I think that I shot fairly well with it for my first .45 ever.

I've been looking around and think that I've settled on a Springfield Mil-Spec for its reliability / warranty, reputation, specs, and cost. But one thing that bothers me is that I could not reach the slide release on the Kimber II that I shot. I can barely reach the slide release on my CZ P-01 (I knick it with the tip of my thumb) and anyone can reach the release on a Sig (kinda spoiled me as it was my first handgun).

Now for the question. Are extended slide releases pretty much non-standard on entry level 1911's? If not, which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Black Majik
10-15-2007, 9:52 AM
Now for the question. Are extended slide releases pretty much non-standard on entry level 1911's? If not, which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly I wouldn't. There really isn't a need for a "extended slide release," because it's a slide stop, not a slide release. You can slingshot the slide with the overhand method to chamber a round, or shift your hand to release the slidestop. I actually prefer the slidestop in a location that's a little harder to reach. I tend to ride the slidestop with my grip, whether it's a Glock, SIG, or HK, and I get failures to slidelock on the last round. A extended "slide release" would probably cause that to happen also.

I vote to stick with the regular slide stop. The Kimber Custom II is a good gun. :cool2:

Miltiades
10-15-2007, 3:01 PM
I'd agree with Black Majic that it may not be very important to reach a 1911 slide stop with your thumb. When you are shooting at the range you can just "slingshot" the slide to close it after inserting a loaded magazine. Perhaps in some gun game or competition where every fraction of a second counts it is important. But if you don't participate in such events I don't think it is an issue.

Bongos
10-15-2007, 3:21 PM
In a reloading situation, the preferred and correct method is the slingshot.. basically loading the mag and overhand pulling the slide back and release, you don't lose your sight picture and your grip never looses position. That said, in my mind the slide release is just a last round indicator and nothing else.

By the time you you bought and paid for your Springfield Mil-Spec it would cost you about $600 out the door, right now a guy name Gregshin has his Kimber Team Match II for an unbelievable deal at $800.. my funds are all tied up, so this is a good deal for someone starting out. $200 is nothing is customizing your SA once you shot it and start doing upgrades. Good Luck

What Just Happened?
10-15-2007, 4:35 PM
In a reloading situation, the preferred and correct method is the slingshot.. basically loading the mag and overhand pulling the slide back and release, you don't lose your sight picture and your grip never looses position. That said, in my mind the slide release is just a last round indicator and nothing else.

By the time you you bought and paid for your Springfield Mil-Spec it would cost you about $600 out the door, right now a guy name Gregshin has his Kimber Team Match II for an unbelievable deal at $800.. my funds are all tied up, so this is a good deal for someone starting out. $200 is nothing is customizing your SA once you shot it and start doing upgrades. Good Luck

Hmm... I've always just used my thumb to flick the slide release, but I'll have to try the slingshot method next time I'm at the range. But yes, to me, the slide staying back has always been a last round indicator, which is why my friend hates it when I use his Ruger Mark I and end up dry-firing it once everytime I go through a magazine.

Unfortunately, I don't have that much in spare cash lying around. Plus, I think I'd rather use that extra $$$ and spend it on ammo. But thanks all for the food for thought. I think this makes the decision making process easier since its one more thing eliminated. Now I just have to pick between SS and parkerized...

Kruzr
10-15-2007, 7:38 PM
Using the slide stop is considered a fine motor skill since you have to "search" for it and hit a small area. Slingshotting the slide closed is a gross motor skill.

When you take self defense classes, these differences will be pointed out. In a time of stress, you would rather depend on gross motor skills rather than fine ones.

slick_711
10-15-2007, 8:35 PM
Using the slide stop is considered a fine motor skill since you have to "search" for it and hit a small area. Slingshotting the slide closed is a gross motor skill.

When you take self defense classes, these differences will be pointed out. In a time of stress, you would rather depend on gross motor skills rather than fine ones.

Exactly. Everyone else told you to ignore not reaching it, Kruzr has provided you with the reason why. :) It is in fact not an issue. It's pretty much expected & accepted to adjust the pistol in your hand to reach the slidestop while reloading (I do so and my hand is large enough I could reach it without doing so). But in the competitive/defensive shooting world the slingshot is much more widely used & accepted.

I have & love a SA Mil-spec. It has yet to fail me in any way that wasn't my fault. That said, I've got over $800 into it and I paid much less for mine than you will for yours (SA has an awesome dealer employee purchase program). It shot flawless before I started messing with it though. ;)

What Just Happened?
10-15-2007, 8:56 PM
I've got over $800 into it and I paid much less for mine than you will for yours (SA has an awesome dealer employee purchase program). It shot flawless before I started messing with it though. ;)

Man, I wish I had some hook-ups *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

slick_711
10-15-2007, 9:16 PM
Man, I wish I had some hook-ups *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

Well, I can buy another 1911 as of this November. But doing so and selling it could theoretically (however unlikely) cost me my job. Besides, what if I want another 1911 for me? I'm limited to one of each type of SA firearm per year! :eek:

You wouldn't want to go that route anyway, I didn't get mine until like 3 months after I ordered it, it was ridiculous. They have great customer service & lifetime warranty, but apparently with the employee orders if it's not on hand they're not in a hurry to build it for you. :o

Knauga
10-15-2007, 9:24 PM
Of course you could just spend $10 or so and buy an extended slide stop/release and pop it in if you really want it.

slick_711
10-15-2007, 9:48 PM
Of course you could just spend $10 or so and buy an extended slide stop/release and pop it in if you really want it.

If JMB or Jeff Cooper had wanted you to have an extended slide stop on your 1911 they'd have told you so. ;)

Slowshooter
10-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Just try to sling shoot the slide. You can always put the extended slide lock/release, but learning another way is fun too.

Knauga
10-16-2007, 6:04 AM
If JMB or Jeff Cooper had wanted you to have an extended slide stop on your 1911 they'd have told you so. ;)

What can I say, boys and their toys :D

What Just Happened?
10-16-2007, 8:33 AM
What can I say, boys and their toys :D

Isn't that why we all have more than one handgun, rifle, and shotgun?