PDA

View Full Version : Do Pistols Just Have "Bad Days???

RAMCHARGER
10-15-2007, 9:33 AM
No really. I have taken my Sig P6 to da indoor range by my house and it's usally shot lazer gun accurate. But this weekend I picked up a few hundred rounds of the "usual" Wally mart 100 packs of 9mm and I sucked!
I use those little "shoot n see" stickers and they are about 2" or 3" in diameter and will usually leave one ragged thumb sized hole with the usual oops cuz of flinch from someone shooting a cannon on the lane next to me at the same time I let off one.

But yesterday it was like I was a rookie shootin someone elses gun.
Some would shoot POA perfectly but then most shot left or low. I had 3 ragged holes. One dead center. One an inch left and one an inch below???
AT 25 feet.

Was it the ammo maybe?

jmancini
10-15-2007, 9:34 AM
It's possible the ammo was off in some way, but I think you're a lot more likely to have an off day than the pistol is.

Always blame the hardware. :gunsmilie:

What Just Happened?
10-15-2007, 9:53 AM
I hope that a firearm doesn't have a bad day. I believe that would indicate that the parts somehow changed from their original dimensions or orientation. And that's not good.

I'm sorry to say, either the ammo was inconsistent or you were having an 'off day'. Cuz' I really hope your gun's not breaking.

AJAX22
10-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Probably not on a sig

some REALLY tight match grade semi autos can be thermally sensitive and can lock up when it gets really cold.

But its more likely to be the nut behind the wheel than the gun itself.

RAMCHARGER
10-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Maybe wife is sneakin' in decaf??? :)

WolfMansDad
10-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Guns do sometimes get upset with their owners. Did you drink too much the night before taking her to the range? Did she not have your full attention on "her" range day, because your mind was on some problem at work or with your girl?

Guns can get jealous, you know.

:p

bwiese
10-15-2007, 1:08 PM
You could well be having an off day...

... WWB and other such bulk ammo could have some production variation over time. That could effect zero.

45R
10-15-2007, 3:22 PM
We all have really good and bad days at the range. The most important part is that your consistent most of the time :)

Full Clip
10-15-2007, 5:05 PM
User error! Reboot!
But, seriously, I've had those days.
Sometimes it's better to just leave and relax and come back rather than fight a trend like that.

CSACANNONEER
10-15-2007, 5:13 PM
Don't blame your gun. It's an inanimate object. If you blame your gun, you are helping antis with their arguement that crime can be blamed on guns.

KenpoProfessor
10-15-2007, 5:51 PM
Buy a Glock, you'll never have a bad shooting day and neither will your gun :)

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

NeoWeird
10-15-2007, 6:08 PM
$10 says it's NOT the gun.

Ammo was stored in too wet/dry climate and powder burn was effected.
Rough day and concentrating on something else.
Excessive eye fatigue that you don't sense but your body does.
Gun not cleaned/too clean.
Too much sugar/caffeine.:eek:
Wife is mad at you.
Too much time with the wife. ;)
Forced change in stance/grip (maybe shooting in a lane against a wall perhaps).
Spring fatigue.:sleeping:
Door letting in a draft.
Bugger in nose throwing off equilibrium/balance.
Chairs in room not in proper Feng Shui locations.
Impressing hot girl. :cool:
Ants in your pants.
We all just suck from time to time.
You get the picture.

586L-Frame
10-15-2007, 8:49 PM
You might need a new spring?

Rob P.
10-15-2007, 9:08 PM

Oh, I dunno. MY guns occasionally exhibit some wierd paranormal activity. Things like perfectly centered bullseyes every 3d or 4th shot even when I'm flinching and barely keeping the POI on the target sheet because of the crowd of Dirty Harry wannabes down the way shooting the crap out of the range hardware. Or possibly being perfectly smooth and flawless just because I gave her a wipe down before showing her off to the counter ninjas in cammo hats, flip flops, and hawaiian shirts. Or having a gritty grouchy trigger pull that comes and goes depending on how loud the thugs in the next lane are laughing. Even up to biting my palm when I try to load a magazine because it's been 2 weeks since we last went out and played together and I've been ignoring her the whole time.

Off day? Yeah, guns can have 'em. But in the OP's situation, I think it's more likely to be from an undercover op by mall ninjas on an ND prevention mission.

Hey, it COULD happen. :rolleyes:

swift
10-15-2007, 9:13 PM
How long did you spend making this list?

Ammo was stored in too wet/dry climate and powder burn was effected.
Rough day and concentrating on something else.
Excessive eye fatigue that you don't sense but your body does.
Gun not cleaned/too clean.
Too much sugar/caffeine.:eek:
Wife is mad at you.
Too much time with the wife. ;)
Forced change in stance/grip (maybe shooting in a lane against a wall perhaps).
Spring fatigue.:sleeping:
Door letting in a draft.
Bugger in nose throwing off equilibrium/balance.
Chairs in room not in proper Feng Shui locations.
Impressing hot girl. :cool:
Ants in your pants.
We all just suck from time to time.
You get the picture.

N6ATF
10-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Buy a Glock, you'll never have a bad shooting day and neither will your gun :)

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Pardon me while I collapse a lung from laughing so hard.

NeoWeird
10-16-2007, 5:46 PM
How long did you spend making this list?

About as long as it took me to type it. I can type faster than I can speak (well my comfortable speaking speed) so it took maybe 3-4 minutes.

ETA: I probably spent more time looking for the smilies than I did thinking and typing it combined.

Parag
10-16-2007, 6:49 PM
Are you sure that everything in your house hasn't been stolen and replaced by an exact duplicate? (Well, almost exact in the case of the SIG.)

-- Parag