View Full Version : Visiting CA for competition

10-14-2007, 3:49 PM
Just curious what the correct procedure would be to visit CA to shoot for instance, Highpower, if one has an AR-15 legal in his home state? Is it even allowed?

10-14-2007, 3:51 PM
There is an exception in the law (which does not extend to magazines with capacities above 10 rounds) but I don't think anyone feels safe utilizing the exception as you stand a large risk of being thrown in jail to claim the exception later.

You may or may not be able to use one of the magazine locks and a 10 round magazine to make your AR CA legal (assuming it is not one of the named banned ARs.)

10-14-2007, 4:05 PM
Well, I don't use hi cap mags in my spacegun so that's not an issue and I don't have (as near as I saw) a lower that is by model on the list. It sounds like for day trips it'd be less risky than multi-day events but I was just really curious about how that all worked.

10-14-2007, 6:39 PM
If you have a rifle legally configured (say, 'featureless' using a Monsterman grip or U15 stock, or using a fixed-10-rd magazine setup) you do not have an AW (as long as your lower is not 'banned by name'). Such a rifle does not violate CA law when imported as it's an uncontrolled semiauto rifle.

There is a 'competition exemption' for going to 'sanctioned matches by recognized bodies' with your AW, that was put into the law but it really only covers the time of competition and long trips to/from the competition with stops could become very problematic (stops overnight, side shopping trips, etc.)