PDA

View Full Version : Matt Corwin update 10/14/07

WolfMansDad
10-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Just a quick update for you guys. Last weekend was pretty scary. Matt is on the verge of being cleared, but just over a week ago somebody forged an email threatening to shoot up his former school (ELAC), and signed Matt's name to it. The sherrif's department made ready to take Matt back into custody, but Chuck and his team pulled overtime last weekend and established that the email was a fake, thus keeping Matt from going back to jail. No additional charges were filed against Matt, as far as I know.

This did rather ran up his bill, but other than that he is ok. It's bad enough to have his lawyers sit around twiddling their thumbs while the prosecution fails to show for a hearing, but to have to respond to this?

As always, donations are appreciated. Make checks payable to Trutanich-Michel Trust Fund, with the subject line Matthew Corwin Legal Defense Fund. Mail them to

Trutanich-Michel LLP
180 E. Ocean Blvd., Ste 200
Long Beach, CA 90802

If you have questions, you can contact the firm at

Tel (562) 216-4444
Fax (562) 216-4445
www.tmllp.com

You can also make contributions through paypal. PM user 69Mach1 for details on that.

WMD

Update Monday, October 15, 2007:

My information was a little stale. The incident happened more than a week ago, and the perpetrator has already been caught and handed over to campus police.

Matt's next hearing is October 24th.

rssslvr
10-14-2007, 12:58 PM
:mad:That's horrible someone would do something like that.I hope they find the person that sent that email and throw the book at them.

KenpoProfessor
10-14-2007, 4:13 PM
Just a quick update for you guys. Last weekend was pretty scary. Matt is on the verge of being cleared, but just over a week ago somebody forged an email threatening to shoot up his former school (ELAC), and signed Matt's name to it. The sherrif's department made ready to take Matt back into custody, but Chuck and his team pulled overtime last weekend and established that the email was a fake, thus keeping Matt from going back to jail. No additional charges were filed against Matt, as far as I know.

This did rather ran up his bill, but other than that he is ok. It's bad enough to have his lawyers sit around twiddling their thumbs while the prosecution fails to show for a hearing, but to have to respond to this?

As always, donations are appreciated. Make checks payable to Trutanich-Michel Trust Fund, with the subject line Matthew Corwin Legal Defense Fund. Mail them to

Trutanich-Michel LLP
Long Beach, CA 90802

Tel (562) 216-4444
Fax (562) 216-4445
www.tmllp.com

You can also make contributions through paypal. PM user 69Mach1 for details on that.

WMD

This is one of the saddest things I've heard about he CA judicial system EVER, the truest of travesties. Poor Matt, I would suggest he leave the state after this, his situation will never be right where he is.

Find the sender of that email, you'll find out who set Matt up in the first place.

Wish him luck for me.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

5150-417
10-14-2007, 4:21 PM
who's this matt guy?

artherd
10-14-2007, 4:26 PM
WMD- you have PM.

phobos512
10-14-2007, 8:35 PM
Find the sender of that email, you'll find out who set Matt up in the first place.

EXACTLY! That is some messed up BS man.

ETD1010
10-14-2007, 8:52 PM
That pisses me off!! I hope that guy gets nailed for it (assuming it's a guy).

CCWFacts
10-15-2007, 12:01 AM
That is awful. LEOs don't believe anything a suspect says, but they get all gullible when they find some piece of concocted evidence like this that supports what they believe.

duenor
10-15-2007, 12:23 AM
guys, we donated at first but we need to see this through. remember the proud times we had when we backed up our brother?

I am personally donating this weekend and I'll try to get some others to chip in as well.

pullnshoot25
10-15-2007, 12:34 AM
What a crock of ****.

sunborder
10-15-2007, 9:31 AM
Theorizing here: It was probably the person who originally set up Matt who sent the email. Stipulated. Then again, it could be someone else who picked up a sniff on the case. Furthermore, it's unlikely, but within the realm of possibility that it could be LE, prosecutor (or staff/family member), DOJ, I**Y CH*N, college employee/appointee/student, Brady, etc. Lots of people could be to blame, as lots of people have an interest in messing with Matt and/or OLL/RKBA crowd. So, let's not jump the gun in placing blame. Let's see what investigation of the terrorist threat (email) turns up, that is, if the cops manage to investigate it at all.

WolfMansDad
10-15-2007, 9:44 AM
Update: The incident actually happened more than a week ago, but I didn't find out about it until then.

The email has been traced and the person who forged the email has been caught. The perpetrator's name was handed over to campus police.

Matt's next hearing will the Oct. 24.

ldivinag
10-15-2007, 9:54 AM
what are the chances this forger gets anything?????

sigh...

soopafly
10-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Matt is on the verge of being cleared,

The email has been traced and the person who forged the email has been caught. The perpetrator's name was handed over to campus police.

both good news...the perpetrator of the email needs to be put through hell:mad:...

Jicko
10-15-2007, 10:20 AM

sigh...

I thought making a threat these days was a pretty BIG thing.... they probably will raid your home, and strip search all of your family members if you mention the word "bomb" on a plane....

PS. so, when going to a bar..... refrain from ordering "Irish Car Bomb" or "Jager Bomb"..... duh!

AJAX22
10-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Thats messed up... Who was it that sent the message and what relationship do they have to Matt? If they can drag his good name through the dirt we should get to know who they are.

They sound like a domestic terrorist to me, I hope they get charged criminally and held civily liable for the damages they've caused.

Anyway, what time is Matt's hearing next wednesday? I have a morning class but I'd like to try and make it.

RRangel
10-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Glad things are going good. I hope they treat the would be attacker with as much disdain as they did to Matt.

Hope he's out soon.

EricCartmann
10-15-2007, 10:40 AM
now you guys can sue and get the money :D

WolfMansDad
10-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Anyway, what time is Matt's hearing next wednesday? I have a morning class but I'd like to try and make it.

Usually it's not worthwhile to show for these hearings, as they are mostly done in closed sessions. If there is a trial or your friend is being held in custody, it's certainly worth showing up, but neither case applies here.

Matt is probably reading, though, and your moral support means a lot to him.

Wulf
10-15-2007, 1:14 PM

sigh...

Hopefully they'll at least get a bill for the portion of Matt's lawyer fees attributable to the email. IIWM, I'd have that in the mail today.

bwiese
10-15-2007, 1:16 PM
Hopefully they'll at least get a bill for the portion of Matt's lawyer fees attributable to the email. IIWM, I'd have that in the mail today.

Not sure if they yet know who it is - just that it wasn't Matt.

Sam Hainn
10-15-2007, 1:41 PM
Find out whoever did the fake email and sue them in civil court for fraud/slander type of crime and for trying to ruin Matt's reputation and disparage his credibility. Expose them for it especially on campus. Use money to pay Matt's legal fees.

pnkssbtz
10-15-2007, 2:21 PM
Not sure if they yet know who it is - just that it wasn't Matt.

But we now know that this someone is related to ELAC which makes it highly probable that they are connected to the person (if they aren't in fact the same entity) who originally fabricated the claim on Matt.

Update: The incident actually happened more than a week ago, but I didn't find out about it until then.

Why would the name "be handed over to campus police" if it wasn't someone from ELAC ?

MrLogan
10-15-2007, 2:24 PM
This happened a couple of months ago. Those dirty, rotten, rat bastards. :mad:

EricCartmann
10-15-2007, 2:25 PM
I already sent Matt $100 via mach69, I might send Matt another $100... don't know why though, to me Matt was just another Cartmann hater (you know guys that hate me because I say it like it is :D)

I guess I am just a nice guy that never hold grudges. ;)

Kestryll
10-15-2007, 2:27 PM
This happened a couple of months ago. Those dirty, rotten, rat bastards. :mad:

If you can go in to it without compromising anything, what if anything was the person charged with? And were they affiliated with any known 'anti' group?

Scarecrow Repair
10-15-2007, 2:31 PM

Can he be charged with obstruction of justice or interfering in any kind of criminal way? That'd be nice, in addition to small claims court for the lawyer expenses -- weekend hours, could be several thousand, eh? But if it were me, I would personally he got a criminal charge and had to pay out some big bucks of his own to defend himself.

FreedomIsNotFree
10-15-2007, 5:25 PM
Let the person either plead or be found guilty first....then a civil case is a virtual slam dunk....thats assuming this scumbag has any money which is most likely a long shot.

Addax
10-15-2007, 7:17 PM
More legal help funds on the way via 69Mach1...

Is there anything else we can do?

Was this forged email sent from anyone on the school campus using their systems?

Trutanich-Michel LLP
Long Beach, CA 90802

Tel (562) 216-4444
Fax (562) 216-4445
www.tmllp.com

WMD

Update Monday, October 15, 2007:

My information was a little stale. The incident happened more than a week ago, and the perpetrator has already been caught and handed over to campus police.

Matt's next hearing is October 24th.

69Mach1
10-15-2007, 9:38 PM

Let's hope this is the date they drop everything. Thanks for the update WolfMansDad. For paypal donations, just send me a PM.
--Mach

artherd
10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Between filing a false report, malicious prosecution, and purjury, I think this guy has enough to worry about.

Prc329
10-16-2007, 10:14 AM
That's the kind of stuff that makes me sick. What and idiot.

I hope all is well with Matt though.

Clodbuster
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
I would think you can charge the person with malicious intent under an alias.

After the Virginia tech incident, just saying you're gonna do something is enough to have you tossed into jail and get a psych profile done.

It would be good to know if the person is aligned with any local/state/national anti-gun groups. Lots of good things can be done with that info.

Clod

Can he be charged with obstruction of justice or interfering in any kind of criminal way? That'd be nice, in addition to small claims court for the lawyer expenses -- weekend hours, could be several thousand, eh? But if it were me, I would personally he got a criminal charge and had to pay out some big bucks of his own to defend himself.

Smokeybehr
10-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I would think you can charge the person with malicious intent under an alias.

After the Virginia tech incident, just saying you're gonna do something is enough to have you tossed into jail and get a psych profile done.

It would be good to know if the person is aligned with any local/state/national anti-gun groups. Lots of good things can be done with that info.

Clod

That would be the smoking gun (pun intended) to bury the anti-gunners. I can see the headlines now... "Anti-gun activist threatens to 'shoot up' East LA College"

BUAHAHAHA!!!!!1!

Eastbayguy
10-18-2007, 9:41 PM
Is it possible to sue that person to recover some legal cost?

N6ATF
10-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Dead horse, consider yourself beaten.

Jicko
10-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Any news from today's hearing??

thedrickel
10-26-2007, 1:57 PM
Come on, what happened on the 24th? Another postponement?

troyPhD
10-26-2007, 4:59 PM
What does CA law say pertaining to "speedy" trials?

Wulf
10-26-2007, 6:05 PM

IIRC Section 12158.4(a)z of the penal code says "The more time that passes between the inital flury of media coverage that made you look fabulous for protecting society from a menace, and the date where you drop the charges because they were crap from the beginning, the less likely you and your office will end up with egg on your face. If you're worried about he rights of the defendant, you shouldent have charged them in the first place."

Ford8N
10-26-2007, 8:35 PM
IIRC Section 12158.4(a)z of the penal code says "The more time that passes between the inital flury of media coverage that made you look fabulous for protecting society from a menace, and the date where you drop the charges because they were crap from the beginning, the less likely you and your office will end up with egg on your face. If you're worried about he rights of the defendant, you shouldent have charged them in the first place."

Sad but true, especially during election times.

MedSpec65
10-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Shouldn't be any problem tracing the E-Mail sender unless they are super-shrewd. I serve records subpoenas on Yahoo and Google all the time for discovery purposes in civil cases. They comply and reveal the name of the E-mail account holder and the location of the machine without hesitation. They would produce a name or location in a criminal case like Matt's in a heartbeat. His lawyers know this. They've probably already issued the subpoena. Whoever did this to him can definitely be prosecuted, I'm sure, and we all have a pretty good idea of what kind of person this is, too.

JALLEN
10-27-2007, 9:23 AM

The Constitution says an accused is entitled to speedy trials, but in California waiving that right is almost always a condition of bail. The only defendants who get speedy trials are the ones in custody, and then not very speedy. There are too many of them.

When a crime spree that took all of 30 minutes or less to execute can take three weeks of courtroom, judge, jury and prosecution time to try, the system clogs up pretty badly.

Speedy trial means within 60 days of the plea. Has anyone ever been tried in that time?

Clodbuster
10-27-2007, 11:30 AM
If California didn't pass so many laws making nearly everything you do unlawful, there would be less congestion in the system.

Clod

The Constitution says an accused is entitled to speedy trials, but in California waiving that right is almost always a condition of bail. The only defendants who get speedy trials are the ones in custody, and then not very speedy. There are too many of them.

Liberty1
10-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Don't worry. Parading naked in Berkeley with a longarm (and shortarms) is still not prohibited.

AJAX22
10-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Typically the defense waves time in these cases so they can better prepare for the prosecution and give the state time to come to their senses and drop charges. (or so I've been told)

I would really like to know the status of the last hearing.

wilit
10-27-2007, 7:18 PM
Considering we haven't heard anything yet, I'm guessing it was postponed again. :(

bwiese
10-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm betting that a ton of defense info on what is/isn't an AW has been submitted, the DA's head is spinning and any DOJ BoF contact results in a big blank void, kinda like what happened in the Sierra Sports case in Modesto.

SteveH
10-27-2007, 10:57 PM

The defense usually waves the right to a speedy trial. I'm sure they did in this case.

N6ATF
10-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Don't worry. Parading naked in Berkeley with a longarm (and shortarms) is still not prohibited.

Hmm... sometimes the shortarms are saggier than the longarms...

Cpl_Peters
10-28-2007, 6:46 PM
poor matt, his life will never be normal again

aileron
10-28-2007, 7:16 PM
Bumped another Benny Matt's way.

69Mach1
10-28-2007, 7:46 PM
Combined check goes out tomorrow. Thanks to Addax, Brooklyn, Calguns2000, Boarding-Team-Leader, and troyPhD.
--Mach

shark92651
10-29-2007, 12:32 PM
If the remaining charges do eventually get dropped (or at least the gun charges) I wonder if all the newspapers and TV stations that went hog-wild with this story will have the cojones to run a followup story. I know I would be more then willing to pressure them to do so if needed.

Liberty1
10-29-2007, 2:39 PM
Ok everybody. We need to see this through to the victorious end!

Give to the Enterprise Arms raffle or just give to Matt's legal defense fund.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=72571

To put it simply, Matt and TMLLP are our front line soldiers. Matt is living this fight every day just as sure as if he was in the Trenches on some battlefield. He doesn't get to go on with his life while this battle is waged. We do. But anyone of us could be next. The battlefield is the Court House and Victory (OUR RIGHTS) is hanging in the balance. Matt is there so hopefully you won't have to be. We are the REMFs basically. We need to get Matt what he needs to stay in the fight and win. All that requires of us is cash and moral support to keep him strong! CALGUNS STRONG!

As others have indicated another win in our pocket brings us another step closer to ending these wrongfull prosecutions. Another win helps to show AG Brown that these prosecutions of law abiding Califorians are wrong and very waistful while real violent criminals run free in this State.

I got alot of great PMs over one of my first posts on Matts plight. I repost it here to remind some of how far we've gotten in this fight and hopfully to inspire others to give or give again to the Victory that is just around the corner.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=57189&page=2

May 4th, 2007

Gentlemen and Gentlewomen,

There is no more worthy endeavor that one can do in this short life then to fight for another's freedom; let along also fight for a cause linked to the very reason our forefather's pledged their Lives, Fortunes and Sacred Honor to establish a framework, Our Constitution, to protect our First Liberties; our Basic Human Right to Self Defense and the possession of the tools of that Honorable Peaceful Trade.

We are now presented with such a cause, that only demands our money. It is our humble opportunity to prove our metal as peaceful individuals and Loyal Americans.

County Jail is an awful place. It is disease ridden and can be dangerous. Prisoners serving multi-year sentences can't wait to get transferred to state to get out of there. I enforce the law and serve the public in my chosen profession. There are many that I have charged and delivered to county jail. I believe most of them deserved to be locked up for violent crimes until their trial. Only once have I seen someone eligible for bail with an amount higher then Matt's!!!

Matt doesn't deserve to be there, innocent or not, on possession charges that are based on PLASTIC cosmetic features the rest of the Country can own and other bad laws! We are hundreds and thousands. Let us raise enough money to not only pay the legal bill, but also bail Matt out!!!

I don't need a new gun this year. I picked the amount of money I though I could give and then forced myself to double it. It hurt, but I'll survive. There is another, whom I only meet through the news media, who needs it more then I.

Dig deep my brothers and sisters and let us not stop raising money until Matt is Free!!! and our liberties secure. Let us encourage TMLLP to take these issues, Our Rights, and challenge these unjust laws right up to the top on the heals of Parker vs. DC!

E Pluribus Unum
10-29-2007, 5:08 PM
If the remaining charges do eventually get dropped (or at least the gun charges) I wonder if all the newspapers and TV stations that went hog-wild with this story will have the cojones to run a followup story. I know I would be more then willing to pressure them to do so if needed.

".... in other news... charges against Matthew Corwin have been dropped...

...Britany Spears was seen being an idiot in public today...."

Stories about assault weapons arrests sells time slots; 20 year old kids being accused of being a terrorist sells newspapers; over zealous ignorance on the part of police officers and district attorney's doesn't sell.

mcubed4130
10-30-2007, 6:13 AM
Stories about assault weapons arrests sells time slots; 20 year old kids being accused of being a terrorist sells newspapers; over zealous ignorance on the part of police officers and district attorney's doesn't sell.

" ... 20 year old kids being accused of being a terrorist sells (as long as the kids are white males - any other race or the religion of peace - or was that pieces - means the story is converted from terrorists into unruly youths that just need more people to take care of them - with your taxpayer money and or free healthcare plans to give them the proper medication) newspapers; ..."

Fixed it for you...

-M3

rkt88edmo
10-31-2007, 2:23 PM
News and discussion continue here:
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=73831