PDA

View Full Version : Best Value AR Trigger?

559luke
03-08-2013, 7:39 PM
The stock trigger on my Colt 6920 leaves a lot to be desired. In fact the trigger on my M&P15/22 is way better than the Colt. Short of a $275 drop in unit what decent triggers would you recommend. I'm not looking for cheap necessarily, just a good value.

Baxter
03-08-2013, 7:44 PM
rock river arms 2 stage is a good trigger.

Enfield47
03-08-2013, 7:46 PM
Look into the ACT trigger, it is nice and smooth and won't break the bank - about $65. Another one to consider is the QMS. It is smoother than the standard trigger and runs about $45. Both are made by ALG so they are GTG, you won't go wrong with either. I have the ACT trigger and love it.

missiontrails
03-08-2013, 7:46 PM
Seriously......LWRC enhanced trigger..... clean 6lb. Single stage pull, nickel boron coated parts.... made in house by them..... standard on all their rifles, $95 on their website. I hate two stage triggers for combat type rifles.

jeffrice6
03-08-2013, 8:55 PM
Just get/do a trigger job.....

bigdrunk92037
03-08-2013, 8:59 PM
Giselle SSA. Perfect break, not to heavy, not to light, excellent reset. Great trigger for steel shooting comps as well as CMP style shooting. Side by side, the RRA 2-stage is only OK compared to the Giselles. Try them side by side and it is obvious.

jay_cue
03-08-2013, 9:02 PM
if you want to save a little from a geissele SSA, the G2S trigger is essentially the same as the SSA minus a little less quality check and is suppose to feel the same as the SSA for about $50 less.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
03-08-2013, 9:03 PM
ALG is a good start if you want to improve the stock trigger or just a fine sanding of your existing trigger and polish job you will be fine, yesterday I did just that and what a "crisp pull" after I was done the mail man shows up an drops ALG triger group, just as good as DIY.

chad allred
03-08-2013, 9:13 PM
I love my RRA 2 stage...

roushstage2
03-09-2013, 1:17 AM
My ALG ACT is very nice!

shamu415
03-09-2013, 1:39 AM
Try some JP yellow springs on your colt, it does wonders.

E92335i
03-09-2013, 2:00 AM
I like my Geissele trigger.

badicedog
03-09-2013, 2:09 AM
Geissele all the way! Spend the $$$. You won't regret it

strongpoint
03-09-2013, 3:10 AM
spike's tactical battle trigger. it's a significant upgrade from your basic stock LPK trigger for $60, though i'll bet it's not very different from ALG's offerings.

MrPlink
03-09-2013, 3:40 AM

Def a big improvement for not a lot of money, but I sometimes get light strikes with surprise ammo

thefinnatic
03-09-2013, 7:00 AM
Single stage- ALG ACT
Two stage- Geissele SSA/ SSA-E

I've got all three and have been extremely happy with them all. Best customer service. These triggers cannot be beat for their asking price.

BOOGIEMAN
03-09-2013, 8:26 AM

I took this route on my two ARs. I am very happy with the result, so much improvement from my stock spring. It costs about ten bucks. I am just a plinker, your purpose maybe different.

jbohon
03-09-2013, 9:48 AM
Spike's battle trigger (http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-spikes-battle-trigger-p-425.html). Still one of my favorite upgrades, and only $60.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/images/prodimg/SLA01BT.jpg

ott1
03-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Spike's battle trigger looks to be the same as ALG's ACT trigger. ALG's triggers are made by Geiesele. ALG = Amy L. Geissele.

drh777
03-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Another vote for the SSA. Love it!

EMPTYITOUT
03-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Tagged. Great info.

B!ngo
03-09-2013, 1:55 PM
The basic Geissle two stage trigger that he sells to the SOCOM folks. It's the best design going (unless you want one of his 3gun or other target triggers which is not likely the best solution). Geissle's products are among the more expensive but they are still the best deal going. The quality, feel, and his commitment to excellence and our men and women in the armed forces makes it the only option for me.
B

SB1964
03-09-2013, 2:05 PM
SSA

Sundowner
03-09-2013, 3:50 PM
I have both the Geissle and the RRA. The Geissle is definitely the better trigger although the RRA is good, too. I have had a Timney which was also good.

USMC VET
03-09-2013, 5:26 PM

This

Sillyguy
03-09-2013, 6:13 PM
i have a rra 2 stage and an ACT...both great triggers

Jakeisch
03-09-2013, 6:23 PM
I've herd good things about the wilson ttu. Also don't forget about the ar gold trigger. I'm kind of leaning towards a jard due to the adjustability.

VetteRacer
03-09-2013, 8:54 PM

Did this on mine, also did the set screw to take up slack (http://tinyurl.com/agbwbov scroll down until the pictures. I did not cut or polish, just set screw and springs). Dropped the factory trigger pull from 7.5-8# down to 4-4.5#. Haven't had any failure to strikes.

For the price, I would say do this, if you still dont like the feel you can sell the springs and not be out more than a few dollars... If you like the result you have saved yourself $150+...

On the fancy trigger side, I would like to try the POF EFP trigger..

Matt

repomanNWP
03-09-2013, 9:01 PM
Geissele, I have the DMR and SSA, love them both. I had a hard time digesting the cost but once you get it you know it was worth it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Bravodigger
03-09-2013, 9:17 PM
For a two stage I have the ATC gold. It's an amazing trigger, a little pricey but I smile every time I use it.

Hoopty
03-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Geissele... I have a SSA and an SSA-E. Cost a heck of a lot.. But man do they break nicely..

OUTLAW414
03-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Tag

shamu415
03-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Other triggers that I've had great experience with are the White Oak armament tuned RRA trigger, very crips and breaks nicely, and a bill Springfield tuned trigger. Both should be under 150.

IPSICK
03-10-2013, 5:06 AM
Spike's battle trigger looks to be the same as ALG's ACT trigger. ALG's triggers are made by Geiesele. ALG = Amy L. Geissele.

Either one looks promising for value triggers to me. And although I'm not a Geissele fan, it might be worth it to get the ALG ACT because it sounds like they do some fitting as opposed to the Spike's with just the coating.

For a real upgrade in trigger engineering at a value price (relative to pricier triggers) I would consider the CMC trigger which is around $150-170.

noob_tube
03-10-2013, 5:11 AM
+1 for the Spikes BattleTrigger and the ALG ACT. I have both and love them.

Mp5marley
03-10-2013, 6:27 AM
Palmetto! You'll be surprised.

Wrangler John
03-10-2013, 6:45 AM
I went with a JP Enterprises EZ Trigger. Pricy? Not at all when I spend the same amount on a Jewel Trigger for my bolt actions. Single stage, adjustable disconnector timing, trigger overtravel and safety engagement adjustment for when receiver holes are a bit off, and anti-walk pins that stay put. It took me about 30 minutes to install and refine the adjustments. At the range it works exactly as advertised, with a quick audible and tactile disconnector reset. The AR platform will always be limited by the inherent cap-pistol trigger mechanism, but this one makes it about as good as can be expected and still be safe. http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_ezt.php

ken5714
03-10-2013, 8:18 AM
ALG ACT in my Colt 6940, much smoother without a lot of money. ALG, Amy Geissele, top notch C/S.

Sunday
03-10-2013, 4:47 PM
Geissele all the way! Spend the $$$. You won't regret it
Buy once cry once!!! +1

CGT80
03-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Has anyone used the Geissele S3G trigger?

My brother has a complete Stag 3G AR-15. It has this trigger. I shot it a few times from the bench today. It has a very light trigger, which is very smooth, and it seems to have a great length of travel. It blew away my trigger (which is probably cheap and stock).

I shoot 3 gun, but we have shots out to 300 yards and shots as close as 1 yard. We are mostly moving, but have some prone shooting. I like light triggers. I also have NOT used a 2 stage trigger before. My XD pistol is set at 3.25 lbs with a total travel of 3/16"-1/4". The Geissele S3G has the same weight, but more take up, with only 1/16" of deflection, which is the part where you have the weight increasing up until the trigger breaks. Actually, my pistol has 1/16" of take up and it takes an additional 1/16" to break the trigger, then it over-travels 1/16".

I see the SSA is highly recommended, but I do like short, light, triggers. My long distance shots still need to be done quickly. This gun isn't really for shooting groups. Any opinions?

Khromo
03-11-2013, 10:35 AM
...For a real upgrade in trigger engineering at a value price (relative to pricier triggers) I would consider the CMC trigger which is around $150-170...

I agree on the CMC triggers. You don't hear much about them on this forum, but they are very crisp and they ignite hard primers reliably.

I prefer the flat shoe. It has a little foot on the end of the trigger so you can always get your trigger finger in the same spot, right at the end of the lever. You can easily get into some precision territory with that trigger.

MilSpecMonkey
03-11-2013, 10:46 AM
ALG ACT trigger + JP yellow springs. It's not quite a Geissele SSA but you'll have a pretty nice single stage trigger that breaks smooth and crisp.

kkp
03-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Of course, finding these in stock might be another problem. :(

IPSICK
03-11-2013, 1:42 PM
...The AR platform will always be limited by the inherent cap-pistol trigger mechanism,... http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_ezt.php

You'd be surprise what a leap in engineering the AR Gold is for the AR platform.

I like my JP a lot also but it is still beat out by the AR Gold, though the gap between them is much smaller than the AR Gold and the Geissele. The Geissele is obviously limited by current AR limitations and most if not all of their offerings are nothing better than modded mil-specs. I can only recommend the ALG ACT because it is an inexpensive Geissele with NiB coating that doesn't try to advertise itself as something more than what it is, a good mil-spec.

Dooder
03-11-2013, 1:53 PM
No mention of the Timney? Are these no bueno?

Dooder
03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Did I just kill the thread? I mention Timney and it was the needle on the record haaha.

ar15barrels
03-12-2013, 9:54 PM
The stock trigger on my Colt 6920 leaves a lot to be desired. In fact the trigger on my M&P15/22 is way better than the Colt. Short of a $275 drop in unit what decent triggers would you recommend. I'm not looking for cheap necessarily, just a good value.

A professionally fitted/installed JP fire control kit is a great value and a great trigger.

Arnelcheeze
03-13-2013, 1:25 AM
ALG ACT or the single action MEGA trigger both great budget triggers.

timberwoofers
03-13-2013, 2:24 AM
I went with the Wilson TTU single stage, smooth.

sonnyt650
03-13-2013, 7:39 AM
Two-stage for me where an undefined trigger trip point makes it so much slower to shoot for precision. If you're ok with a little more work look into the Compass Lake trigger which is mass produced by Bushmaster as their competition trigger. If you're looking for buttery smooth (the CLE trigger can be but it's not consistent) there are probably better triggers out there.

waxer
03-13-2013, 8:16 AM
Well this thread motivated me and being that I'm a "do it yourself" kind of guy, I started researching yesterday about AR-15 Trigger Job's. I found the usual trigger sear polishing jobs, and came across a couple trigger jobs that involved converting the stock single stage trigger into a double stage.

So that is what I did last night. Converted my stock trigger (Stag Arms LPK) into a double stage and polished the snot out of the sear points.

No pics... and I know the thread might be worthless... but it was relatively easy to do. I need to get a scale to measure the trigger pull for both stages now. Anyone local have one?

Thanks

Paperchasin
03-13-2013, 8:22 AM
Another vote for Geissele SSA here

ar15barrels
03-13-2013, 9:46 AM
Two-stage for me where an undefined trigger trip point makes it so much slower to shoot for precision.

It sounds like you don't know how to properly use a two stage trigger or you only have experiences with really poor quality two stage triggers..
In use, you pull the trigger up to the second stage and then break the second stage just like a single stage trigger.
The second stage trigger break is usually much shorter than a single stage trigger break and therefore more precise.

Justintoxicated
03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
You'd be surprise what a leap in engineering the AR Gold is for the AR platform.

I like my JP a lot also but it is still beat out by the AR Gold, though the gap between them is much smaller than the AR Gold and the Geissele. The Geissele is obviously limited by current AR limitations and most if not all of their offerings are nothing better than modded mil-specs. I can only recommend the ALG ACT because it is an inexpensive Geissele with NiB coating that doesn't try to advertise itself as something more than what it is, a good mil-spec.

This is what I will be getting next (Only SR Gold for my 308).

That's after allot of research, but it is not a cheap / budget trigger and sold out everywhere I look.

If you want cheap and nice get the RRA 2 stage, I tried the CMMG and it had a harder trigger pull than the single stage, sent it back for repair/replace but haven't installed it back in the rifle yet. The RRA was night and day better, but I will try the cmmg again.

joker70
03-13-2013, 4:22 PM
+1 on the JP yellow springs.

IPSICK
03-14-2013, 12:41 AM
This is what I will be getting next (Only SR Gold for my 308).

That's after allot of research, but it is not a cheap / budget trigger and sold out everywhere I look.

If you want cheap and nice get the RRA 2 stage, I tried the CMMG and it had a harder trigger pull than the single stage, sent it back for repair/replace but haven't installed it back in the rifle yet. The RRA was night and day better, but I will try the cmmg again.

No they are not cheap but if you appreciate nice triggers they are worth it.

I'm glad you finally decided to get the SR Gold.

DCVR
03-14-2013, 3:12 AM
spikes battle trigger is great. i splurged a little extra when picking out my LPK and am very glad i went with the enhanced LPK that included the ST trigger. you can also get it separately for $60 or so (pre-panic).

negolien
03-14-2013, 8:53 AM
I vote Giselle..I got my SD3G for $180. Just look for sales and group buys. No need to break the bank just buy smart. I personally think they make some of the best fire control groups around and I' am not alone.

Squidward
03-14-2013, 8:55 AM
IMO, a Giselle SSA. Money well-spent.

foxtrotuniformlima
03-14-2013, 8:59 AM
Send it to Bill.

http://www.triggerwork.net/

You asked for best value. That is it.

$ 40, $55 or $65 depending on where you wan the pull weight.

I had one done and could not believe the result. I got the $ 65 one and found it to be worth every penny.

3GunFunShooter
03-14-2013, 9:41 AM
Love the JP trigger. Have it in 2 of my AR's

Justintoxicated
03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
No they are not cheap but if you appreciate nice triggers they are worth it.

I'm glad you finally decided to get the SR Gold.

Yea I was thinking about getting this for a while.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=455

The high speed is supposed to be really nice compared to SSA for target shooting.

Everyone really loves their Geissels. However everyone I talked to that had Both the Geissel SR/AR Gold all favored the Gold triggers. So I didn't order the high speed trigger in the end. That one comes with the spring kit so you can try all 3 variants, but I'm going to hold out.

My RRA trigger is great for the money though. It is night and day difference compared to any stock trigger.

negolien
03-14-2013, 3:48 PM
The best trigger is the one that works best for you :<).. we still haven't heard what Luke is getting.

sonnyt650
03-15-2013, 6:27 AM
It sounds like you don't know how to properly use a two stage trigger or you only have experiences with really poor quality two stage triggers..

You read it wrong apparently (yeah wording was pretty poor): my comment was regarding the military trigger which has lots of take-up and no defined zone for when it will break, compared to an adjustable 2-stage with which you can put the increased trigger pull weight right on the edge of the actual break. In my own experience I can be as precise (ok maybe that's an exaggeration) with a military trigger though it slows me down a lot as I carefully squeeze through a much longer distance -- lots more work, less fun overall. I don't have any true single-stage AR triggers where a low pull weight, hair-trigger semi-auto isn't my cup of tea.

DirectDrive
03-15-2013, 7:11 AM

Here's a quote from an industry leader that is not employed by G...

1) This guy was comparing an SSA-E v. AR Gold....
(should have been Hi-Speed v. AR Gold)

There are many threads declaring the SSA-E the best AR trigger in the world for precision shooting. Don't jump to that conclusion until you have compared.

2) Response....

The geissele Hi Speed trigger is the best trigger for precision shooting, not the SSA-E. With the adjustability of the hi speed, it can be set lighter, crisper, with less over travel(reset), and with a faster lock time than the AR Gold. The Geissele Hi-Speed is is superior to the AR Gold in every aspect. Walk the line at Camp Perry during Nationals, and you see the best shooters in the world agree with me.

Geissele has perfected the original trigger design.
All of the other AR triggers are compared to them.

For a budget trigger, it depends on the individual's budget.

Maybe a ALG QMS- $45 (or ACT-$65) + JP spring kit-$10 + set screw mod (.50 or $18)
Or Geissele G2S $170

negolien
03-15-2013, 9:08 AM
I agree the Geissele Fire Control groups are very good. They have put alot of time into making a good product better. The SD3G is very very good at true real world shooting needs. Smooth breaks super fast resets. Very easy to get multiple shots off quickly and smoothly. If you're benching 2 stage is better if your using in real world scenarios the Single stages are better imho. Saying the Geissele are only decent because they improved on the basic design is a little troll bait as all fire control groups are based off of the same basic design aren't they.

ScottsBad
03-15-2013, 9:19 AM
I agree the Geissele Fire Control groups are very good. They have put alot of time into making a good product better. The SD3G is very very good at true real world shooting needs. Smooth breaks super fast resets. Very easy to get multiple shots off quickly and smoothly. If you're benching 2 stage is better if your using in real world scenarios the Single stages are better imho. Saying the Geissele are only decent because they improved on the basic design is a little troll bait as all fire control groups are based off of the same basic design aren't they.

Not all are based on the same design, the AR Gold trigger is a different design internally. And is arguably the best trigger. I use Geissele and ALG just because I was cheap.

Anyway, check these out.
http://www.americantrigger.com/

FOR THE MONEY the ALG ACT trigger is my favorite so far. What? $65 --- Great deal. The pull is heavier, BUT that is mitigated by the smoothness and fairly short release. I've got 3 of these triggers installed and while the Geiselle SSA is better (in the $200 price range) the ALG is an amazing trigger for the price.

ScottsBad
03-15-2013, 9:29 AM
Here's a quote from an industry leader that is not employed by G...

1) This guy was comparing an SSA-E v. AR Gold....
(should have been Hi-Speed v. AR Gold)

There are many threads declaring the SSA-E the best AR trigger in the world for precision shooting. Don't jump to that conclusion until you have compared.

2) Response....

The geissele Hi Speed trigger is the best trigger for precision shooting, not the SSA-E. With the adjustability of the hi speed, it can be set lighter, crisper, with less over travel(reset), and with a faster lock time than the AR Gold. The Geissele Hi-Speed is is superior to the AR Gold in every aspect. Walk the line at Camp Perry during Nationals, and you see the best shooters in the world agree with me.

Geissele has perfected the original trigger design.
All of the other AR triggers are compared to them.

For a budget trigger, it depends on the individual's budget.

Maybe a ALG QMS- $45 (or ACT-$65) + JP spring kit-$10 + set screw mod (.50 or $18)
Or Geissele G2S $170

Of course target triggers are a completely different animal than battle/action triggers. I always choose action triggers because the target triggers are too light for what I like to do.

If you are bench shooting (bench, prone, whatever) get a target trigger, if you like to shoot freehand get 3Gun or battle trigger.

ScottsBad
03-15-2013, 9:31 AM
..... My RRA trigger is great for the money though. It is night and day difference compared to any stock trigger.

There have been a lot of failures of the RRA trigger, and the one I had had a terribly long first stage. I didn't want to mess with it so I gave the whole rifle to my son.

chad allred
03-15-2013, 9:34 AM
I think a nice two stage does both bench and offhand well

ScottsBad
03-15-2013, 9:45 AM
spikes battle trigger is great. i splurged a little extra when picking out my LPK and am very glad i went with the enhanced LPK that included the ST trigger. you can also get it separately for $60 or so (pre-panic).

I removed the Spike's Battle Trigger from one of my rifles after I tried the ALG, AND because the second Spike's trigger I bought had a really CRAPPY disconnector.

The Spike's disconnector looked like it was stamped from some crappy machine and then coated. The edges looked like the walls of Grand Canyon. This has been a complaint from others too and has been going on for a while.

I decided that I cannot trust the Spike's trigger if they allow parts to be sold with such obviously poor quality. Some have speculated that the Spike's triggers are nothing more than DPMS triggers that have been Nickle-Boron plated.

Sorry, but that is my experience.

DCVR
03-16-2013, 10:56 AM
the spikes battle trigger is manufactured by ALG (rebranded ALG Combat Trigger).

so basically you traded in an ALG combat trigger for an ALG combat trigger.

Nick Adams
03-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Not to hijak but my 6920 trigger sucks too. I have been reluctant to mess with it as I have heard ARs tend to be unreliable with trigger mods. Is this true? If reliability is my number one concern, would any of the triggers discussed here be worth considering or should I just start doing mini-dumbell curls with my trigger finger?

IPSICK
03-16-2013, 12:22 PM

Have you even tried the AR Gold? It is smooth, crisp, and has a much shorter reset than the vaunted S3G/SD3G which is the best example of Geissele modifying the mil-spec design and calling them leaps in engineering.

And mentioning Camp Perry is a little irrelevant as those competitions have specifications on triggers which the Geissele were based on. Many of the trigger specs pretty much mean you stay close to the original fire control design.

The AR Gold was designed around 3-gun competition which can be a mix of fast action shooting and long distance shots. For those competitions, JP's are the dominant trigger in people's rifles with the AR Gold being shot by top competitors like Jerry Miculek, Daniel Horner, and Michael Voight.

And even though, neither the Geissele or AR Gold are 'value' triggers the Geissele is even further away from bang for your buck with its use of cast metals (http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=65982&postcount=62). The AR Gold uses metal from barstock and is through hardened.

chad allred
03-16-2013, 1:19 PM
Good to know!

ScottsBad
03-17-2013, 9:55 AM
the spikes battle trigger is manufactured by ALG (rebranded ALG Combat Trigger).

so basically you traded in an ALG combat trigger for an ALG combat trigger.

Sorry you are incorrect.

The two triggers are different, and I could show you pictures of the differences. The problem with the dis-connector machining has been around for some time and has been documented on other sites with more perspicacious members.

ca2111usmc
03-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Send it to Bill.

http://www.triggerwork.net/

You asked for best value. That is it.

$ 40, $55 or $65 depending on where you wan the pull weight.

I had one done and could not believe the result. I got the $ 65 one and found it to be worth every penny.

+1 for Bill. He has two of my triggers at this time. I have felt a couple of his triggers and am quite impressed. For the money I am thinking this is a good way to go. Not to mention, I had several fire controll groups laying around.

I have:
1. Timney in one rifle, Verry nice trigger, no ignition problems, NOT cheap

2. RRA 2 stage in one rifle, not really my cup of tea, just feels funny after shooting single stage triggers for decades. no ignition problems. Reasonable price.

3. Two of my rifles and two builds for others have JP yellow springs with a DIY trigger job. Nice triggers, inexpensive (unless you screw up), time consuming. I have had some ignition problems with some hard primer military ammo (always keep standard springs, just in case).

Lessons learned...As an armorer, I screwed up a couple of sears and hammers. That said, you can do it your self. You just need to be careful. If you get too carried away, you will have a decent trigger for 100-200 rounds then it will round off and start double tapping. You can also tweak the legs on the hammer spring a little to lighten it up. A little "plumbers" silicone grease where the pins contact the hammer and trigger does help.

chad allred
03-30-2013, 10:52 AM
I just got an ALG QMS trigger and am VERY happy with it for $45!!!
Is breaks at 5.5lbs with ZERO creep or take up.
Smoking deal for $45

Press Check
03-30-2013, 11:06 AM

I have a Geissele Hi-Speed NM Match trigger in my Colt.

Buy once, cry once. :)

Bravodigger
03-30-2013, 8:56 PM
Have you even tried the AR Gold? It is smooth, crisp, and has a much shorter reset than the vaunted S3G/SD3G which is the best example of Geissele modifying the mil-spec design and calling them leaps in engineering.

And mentioning Camp Perry is a little irrelevant as those competitions have specifications on triggers which the Geissele were based on. Many of the trigger specs pretty much mean you stay close to the original fire control design.

The AR Gold was designed around 3-gun competition which can be a mix of fast action shooting and long distance shots. For those competitions, JP's are the dominant trigger in people's rifles with the AR Gold being shot by top competitors like Jerry Miculek, Daniel Horner, and Michael Voight.

And even though, neither the Geissele or AR Gold are 'value' triggers the Geissele is even further away from bang for your buck with its use of cast metals (http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=65982&postcount=62). The AR Gold uses metal from barstock and is through hardened.

Exactly!!
Another point is the ar gold is a drop in unit eliminating all the tolerance issues with inconsistent lower reciever trigger pin holes. Not every lower is exactly the same, but every AR/SR gold (along with most drop in triggers) will function exactly how they were intended.

mrassmu
03-30-2013, 9:20 PM
I love my Geissele 3 gun...but its $$$
for the money the RRA NM 2 Stage is great. When prices go back down I would expect to see it around $100

captbilly
03-31-2013, 12:22 AM
I have a Jard match, a Geissele adjustable match, an ATS Gold and several Rock River match triggers. The Geissele and ATS gold are really nice but expensive. Using weaker springs, like many reworked stock geometry triggers, increases lock time and can cause light strikes, and ARs already have much much longer lock times than bolt action guns. The Rock River uses completely different geometry than a stock trigger (as do the Geisesele, ATS gold and Hard) so it does not have to resort to lighter springs to get the smoother lighter pull. I believe there is a similar trigger to the Rock River for a similar price ($100, in normal times) but I can't remember who makes it.

I don't like a single stage trigger in a semi auto with a light trigger. It is just not really practical to make a safe, light, low take up single stage trigger with a semi auto.

B!ngo
03-31-2013, 2:01 PM
Tough question to answer. Everyone defines 'value' differently. But I suspect you're looking for the best balance of price/performance. And as much as I like Geissele triggers, they are very pricey. Even for what they do.
But, Geissele's wife runs another trigger company that sells quality stuff at 1/3-1/2 the price. I suspect Mr. Geissele had a hand in it and I have read that they are very good. I believe the name is ALG.
B

Giselle SSA. Perfect break, not to heavy, not to light, excellent reset. Great trigger for steel shooting comps as well as CMP style shooting. Side by side, the RRA 2-stage is only OK compared to the Giselles. Try them side by side and it is obvious.