PDA

View Full Version : Wife's irritated, need .45ACP justification!

daskraut
10-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Anyone married knows the drill, you get yet another gun, show it to the wife and she just smirks like it is a turd..........I explained the future dangers like billary, microstamping etc. I need your help. Your a bunch of bright lads, lets hear what you would say in defense of your purchase.:D

Shane916
10-14-2007, 11:11 AM
A long term investment that will surely increase in value.

anothergunnut
10-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't ask about her shoes, she doesn't ask about my guns. Since I have a C&R, it's not that unusual for me to receive or ship a rifle at home so it's not like I hide it. Fortunately, we have the financial means to spend money on things beyond the necessities. If buying a gun because it might be banned in the future puts a crimp in your finances, you probably shouldn't be buying that gun.

Daskraut; you put your location as hooterville, is that Porterville? or is there more than one hooterville?

ligamentum flavum
10-14-2007, 11:43 AM
you care about what your wife thinks? must be a newlywed.

just kidding.

Pvt. Cowboy
10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Your a bunch of bright lads, lets hear what you would say in defense of your purchase.:D

Time for a clothes and shoe-shopping trip for your wife. Offer to drive her. Suck it up and go shopping with her and try not to get flustered.

Works. Every. Time.

Knauga
10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Hide it.... :D

PistolPete75
10-14-2007, 11:56 AM
only right thing to do is get something for your wife. this will equal things out.

BigDogatPlay
10-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Getting her something she covets to get something you covet is a tried and true tactic in my nearly 22 years of experience. The caveat is that if either item puts a deep gouge in the family finances then it's liable to be no sale. That's how it works at Casa BigDog.

One thought, thinking out of the box. Do you do Starbucks every day? If so, that's $25 (less or more) per week. $25 times 52 weeks is $1300. I drink the office swill (Peet's is good stuff but it's still the office swill) and generally pack a lunch from home. What I save on not going to Starbucks and not dining out for lunch every day allows me enough dough to shop for "the finer things in life".

:61:

bwiese
10-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I guess it's time for her to go revenge-shopping.

Offer to help her shop for breast implants.

<just kiddin'>

cactus
10-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Two words Coach Bag

rmeyer
10-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Doesn't matter to me what my wife buys with her money so it doesn't bother her what I piss mine away on.

magsnubby
10-14-2007, 12:48 PM
It's simple:

"I don't ***** about what you spend your bonus money on. You don't ***** about what i spend my overtime money on. I don't say a word about what you spend on the grandkids. You don't say a word about what i spend on ammo."

TonyM
10-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Two options:

1) Be like me, have to many hobbies that cost alot of money. For example:

Have 12 computers in your house and always talk about wanting another one.
Get into Brewing beer and spend $5k on a new brewing system and complain that it just isn't good enough and you need to spend more on it.
Buy an expensive car, and swear you are going to keep it stock. Then, when the UPS Boxes start rolling in with exhaust, heads, and suspension parts, claim you "need them".
Get into RC cars and planes, then after you have about $4k invested, just let them sit in the garage and collect dust.
Buy tools like a belt sander, radial saw, and drill press, and never even hook them up.
Spend a bunch on a Dillon press and components, then say the guns are the "cheap" part of the hobby.
2) Warn her that you could be like me above, and have a ton of stuff sitting around just to condition her to say yes anyway. Or she could be thankful that her car can fit in the garage and just let you buy the guns which are far cheaper.

My wife is still upset that I don't have room in our garage for her car. When we bought the house she thought for sure she was going to get one of the stalls for her car.... ;)

-hanko
10-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Marry a girl whose hobby is jumping horses and traveling to horse shows.

I've never had a question about any gun (or computer/camera/car/cycle/atv) purchase;):D

icormba
10-14-2007, 1:07 PM
Doh! I read your subject line in the upper level forums and worried there for a minute... "Wife's irritated, need .45ACP... “Yikes!

Anyway, back when I got my Sig P226ST ($$) I had to buy my wife diamond earrings... now she has this thing in her head that if I buy any other gun she gets something of equal value. Double DOH!!
;)

Fjold
10-14-2007, 1:46 PM
You show new guns to your wife?

Rookie!

metalhead357
10-14-2007, 1:56 PM
Wife irritated?
Ask if the bills are paid and she has what she wants..... If she does then ask her POLITELY to keep her trap shut.

Either way, Get a bag, you're sleeping on the sofa for a few nights.

For future purchases...buy MULTIPLE guns at once....SAME number of night stay on the couch....ask me how I know;)

aplinker
10-14-2007, 2:05 PM
Better to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission. ;)

There really is no justification for it. You're going to have to learn to negotiate.

smogcity
10-14-2007, 2:09 PM
"Oh, this old thing?!???...."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander:D

icoburn
10-14-2007, 2:50 PM
Still pretty new to the married thing, but when I was engaged I would just tell her the truth...

1) I work incredibly hard to afford the things in life that are important to me; 1st in foremost her and secondly our happiness, and part of our happiness includes the occasional expenses on my hobby/ies :)

2) It’s a sound investment

3) A limited opportunity (good price, hard-to-find, soon to be impossible to get, etc)

N6ATF
10-14-2007, 4:43 PM
Two words Coach Bag

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Profiles/20060929/244.nelson.craig.092706.jpg
+
http://www.edinformatics.com/inventions_inventors/270px-Brown_paper_bag.jpg

gbran
10-14-2007, 5:43 PM
Tell that little woman that when she can finally be trained to leave the toilet seat up and have the courtesy to do so, you'll start considering discussing your gun purchases with her.

CSACANNONEER
10-14-2007, 5:54 PM
If it fits in your safe, why tell her? If it doesn't fit in your safe, you need to convince her that another safe is needed to protect her pictures and legal docs. Now that you have another safe, there's room for more guns so, WHY TELL HER?

magsnubby
10-14-2007, 5:58 PM
You show new guns to your wife?

Rookie!

I once showed my wife the no dash S&W 60, SP101 and GP100 i just brought home. She didn't like the GP100. She really didn't care much for the SP101. But she loved that little 'Smith. I almost lost it.

magsnubby
10-14-2007, 6:02 PM
If it fits in your safe, why tell her?

Because after more than 40 years of marriage she can smell a lie faster than i can think it up.

dfletcher
10-14-2007, 6:19 PM
Anyone married knows the drill, you get yet another gun, show it to the wife and she just smirks like it is a turd..........I explained the future dangers like billary, microstamping etc. I need your help. Your a bunch of bright lads, lets hear what you would say in defense of your purchase.:D

Tell her your girlfriend picked it out. :leaving:

1911jerry
10-14-2007, 7:55 PM
Tell her to chose one of the following:

1. Drugs
2. Girl friend on the side
3. Boy friend on the side
4. Gambling habit
5. Occasional gun purchase
6. Drinking habit
7. Stupid investments

Her choice.

JS

MadMex
10-14-2007, 8:11 PM
Continue to buy more ASAP. You obviously haven’t reached the Firearm Critical Mass of Confusion. That is, too many firearms for her to be able to tell one from another.

Wife: Is that a new gun?
Me: I wish.

ibanezfoo
10-14-2007, 8:14 PM
Depending on how much cash you have, buy a nice pair of earrings she will like at the same time as your .45 purchase. Then when you present them to her casually and quickly mention the .45 and get right back to the earrings and how great they look on her. Works every time.

-Bryan

RECCE556
10-14-2007, 8:17 PM
Get a new wife.

BaronW
10-14-2007, 8:22 PM
You won it in a raffle.

Black Majik
10-14-2007, 8:41 PM
...need .45ACP justification!

A 9mm may expand but a .45 will never shrink.

newtothis
10-14-2007, 8:43 PM
Honey, they just passed the Microstamping law...:eek:. You know what that means. "We" have to get as many as we can as fast as we can. :43:

Dragonfly
10-14-2007, 8:49 PM
Okay, since all you men have added your two cents and believe me I've really enjoyed it all....Here is some advise from a woman - first off what are you doing getting involved with a woman who doesn't like guns (just kidding). I bet she is the best ever...You should make a deal with her on if you get a new gun (or that old thing ;) ) that she gets something she likes. (Hopefully her hobbie is less expense.) :)

Just beware my man has a small problem with this one cause if he gets a new gun, he has to buy me one too...Oh and I too love jewerly...Good luck, best of wishes and happy gun buying....

Satex
10-14-2007, 9:29 PM
A long term investment that will surely increase in value.

Do you have any substantiated research to demonstrate that a typical firearm appreciates in price more than the prime interest rate?
Also, when you look for that research, be sure to include maintenance costs and opportunity costs.

Timberwolf
10-14-2007, 9:50 PM
Jewelry of equal value - my wife likes diamonds, I like rifles, our safe contains both.

Shane916
10-14-2007, 9:55 PM
Do you have any substantiated research to demonstrate that a typical firearm appreciates in price more than the prime interest rate?
Also, when you look for that research, be sure to include maintenance costs and opportunity costs.

You do realize my comment was purely sarcastic?

NickN27
10-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Two options:

1) Be like me, have to many hobbies that cost alot of money. For example:

Have 12 computers in your house and always talk about wanting another one.
Get into Brewing beer and spend $5k on a new brewing system and complain that it just isn't good enough and you need to spend more on it.
Buy an expensive car, and swear you are going to keep it stock. Then, when the UPS Boxes start rolling in with exhaust, heads, and suspension parts, claim you "need them".
Get into RC cars and planes, then after you have about $4k invested, just let them sit in the garage and collect dust.
Buy tools like a belt sander, radial saw, and drill press, and never even hook them up.
Spend a bunch on a Dillon press and components, then say the guns are the "cheap" part of the hobby.
2) Warn her that you could be like me above, and have a ton of stuff sitting around just to condition her to say yes anyway. Or she could be thankful that her car can fit in the garage and just let you buy the guns which are far cheaper.

My wife is still upset that I don't have room in our garage for her car. When we bought the house she thought for sure she was going to get one of the stalls for her car.... ;)

you know whats hilarious? your name was blocked on my screen but as I read this post I was like damn that sounds just like Tony, as I scrolled up sure nuff there it was! lol

P.S. you see the new springfield fully loaded M1A? *drools* I still need to get that benelli M4 too! lol.

KenpoProfessor
10-15-2007, 4:34 AM
[QUOTE=metalhead357;792135]Wife irritated?
Ask if the bills are paid and she has what she wants..... If she does then ask her POLITELY to keep her trap shut.

QUOTE]

This is all I would say, period. My wife did what she wanted, and I did what I wanted, no questions asked unless we were tight for money at the time and it became a monetary issue.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

daskraut
10-15-2007, 7:07 AM
We both work 2 jobs and $$ is not the issue. I just think the box of 528 rds of .30-06 at her feet and the goodies stashed about overwhelmed her for a day or so. She shoots very well also, just not too often. Keep the suggestions coming, these are cool. Oh, Hooterville is next to pixlie, not porterville.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/daskraut/carmenshooting.jpg
This is her in Utah with my Tokarev 9mm, first time with a semi auto pistol.

CSDGuy
10-15-2007, 8:21 AM

It's for killing zombies? :eek: I hear that .45ACP splits them in half... :D

I just usually say that I got it with money that I saved up and it won't hurt our pocketbook... and amazingly enough, it's true! She still gets upset, but at least she doesn't stomp around the house and complain about it for days...

ETA: Unlike your wife, mine doesn't like guns at all...

soopafly
10-15-2007, 9:44 AM
I spend no more than $150 on the purchase of a new firearm. If I start with a bare reciever, that's somewhat true, right?:whistling:

And I never spend more that $500 a year on ammo/accessories.:shifty:

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

RAMCHARGER
10-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I tell my wife about every gun purchase I make. Cuz ANGRY sex is the best sex. Just dont tell how much. Remeber all guns were used from a pawn shop for about $200. :)
The $200. reciept for the Stag AR means the whole rifle not just the stripped OLL :)
Got it... Class dismissed

PistolPete75
10-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Jewelry of equal value - my wife likes diamonds, I like rifles, our safe contains both.

funny, we are in the same boat.

RAMCHARGER
10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=CSDGuy;793090]It's for killing zombies? :eek: I hear that .45ACP splits them in half... :D

QUOTE]

I luv that one :)

This weeken she (WIFE) and a few girlfriends of hers went on a girls weekend to DA River in Ariz. She takes her (my Ex :( ) GP100 and a full box O .357s with speedloaders.

"Why so much?"
"SH** I saw Hill shave eyes...Stupid I be not" :)
Yea she's a keeper... I have trained her well....
See I din't marry her JUST cuz her boobs :)

slick_711
10-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Next time you buy a gun and she chastises you just reply: "you want a cookie?" and when she opens her mouth to yell at you, jam an oreo in there and turn the TV on. Then quickly kiss her on the cheek and walk away saying something about having to get to work so you can pay for her to be at home eating oreos and watching TV all day. ;)

Take that advice with a grain of salt, as I'm not married. Seriously now, the guys suggesting you buy her something nice at the same time have the right idea, thats certainly what I'd do. It may not have to be of the same value (and she needn't know that), just get her a little something nice and make sure she knows you love her more than the guns (lie if need be).

daskraut
10-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Slick, you be one funny mofo!. At least I pay the rent and I do make our $500 truck payment......
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/daskraut/ourMFPridge.jpg

accordingtoome
10-15-2007, 12:25 PM
thats why you need a bigger collection, so when you get a new one she won't notice. you can say.. "what... i have had this for years" :D

accordingtoome
10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Slick, you be one funny mofo!. At least I pay the rent and I do make our $500 truck payment......

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=42081

did you see this thread>? :D

SemiAutoSam
10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
You call that thing a truck ?

Looks more like a Mafia car.

Hey where is Guido with the Thompson out the window?

draconianruler
10-15-2007, 1:31 PM
I don't show her and when she sees it I say I always had it :D Its stopped working lately since she's seen too many different ones :( As the others, I now do the coach bag or something similar to occupy her mind :D

daskraut
10-15-2007, 8:35 PM
That is no Mafia staff car!. You may refer to it as "the mad max truck", or "the area 51 patrol vehicle". In my sick, distorted mind , it is a mating of a humvee and an Acura!.

CAG23
10-16-2007, 2:08 PM
I have the same problem.......I recently made my first purchase a Glock 23 after months of arguing that we needed it because of all the crap that happens around where we live. Hell we even had a shooting happen in our complex!!! When I got the gun I made sure that she was able to use it too (made sure it fit in her hand). She wanted to come with me when I got it so she could see it. I started to mention about the Kimber CPD 1911's and she just about blew so I am trying to figure out how I can ease her into the idea of getting another gun. I am also (which I am surprised at) talking to her about concealed carry permits, again because of all the crap around us. I know I have heard it all before, move but right now we cant so better to defend and protect then get taken advantage of. I want to use the microstamping as a way to get another gun but I am unsure how to respond to why do we need another. But what makes it really tough is that she is originally from MT. And her dad is an avid hunter with lots of guns but she still will not budge.

aplinker
10-16-2007, 2:15 PM
Well, since you already have one, the answer is obvious for the next.

You have two hands!

Of course, she has 2 hands, too, so you need her armed. So the next 2 are ok. But then you need back-ups, just in case one doesn't work.

Then explain to her how the stainless steel of your 1911 conflicts with the soft brass or gold tinges of your favorite belt and you really need a black one. Women understand that kind of language.

Of course, we all know you shouldn't come to a gun fight with a pistol, but to bring long guns... and everyone you know with long guns, so you're going to need some rifles for you and all your friends.

A shotgun is essential, too. It's the best home defense choice.

Oh, and if you buy jewelry for her, your house will become more of a target, which means it needs better protection.

You'll definitely need a bigger safe for her jewels and your guns.

Shall I go on?

I have the same problem.......I recently made my first purchase a Glock 23 after months of arguing that we needed it because of all the crap that happens around where we live. Hell we even had a shooting happen in our complex!!! When I got the gun I made sure that she was able to use it too (made sure it fit in her hand). She wanted to come with me when I got it so she could see it. I started to mention about the Kimber CPD 1911's and she just about blew so I am trying to figure out how I can ease her into the idea of getting another gun. I am also (which I am surprised at) talking to her about concealed carry permits, again because of all the crap around us. I know I have heard it all before, move but right now we cant so better to defend and protect then get taken advantage of. I want to use the microstamping as a way to get another gun but I am unsure how to respond to why do we need another.