PDA

View Full Version : Dremeling off front sight?

justinLB
10-13-2007, 6:57 PM
I have a Stag upper and the taper pins must have been fused together with the front sight cause they wont budge. Where do I grind or drill to get it off?

Gringo Bandito
10-13-2007, 9:21 PM
I have a Stag upper and the taper pins must have been fused together with the front sight cause they wont budge. Where do I grind or drill to get it off?

It looks like the pins are tapered.

This page may help

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

-hanko
10-14-2007, 1:07 PM
I'd recommend an hour or so reading on the web before you try removing the fs.

A dremel tool is the last thing you'll need.:rolleyes:

-hanko

C.G.
10-14-2007, 10:03 PM
They install the pins with a press. It takes a good punch, a steady hand and a heavier hammer.

Yup, and sometimes they use red Locktite to boot (ask me how I know:eek:), so you might need a good heat gun to heat things up before you start punching.

StraightShooter
10-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Before you break out the dremel try these things: Heat it up (i used a mapp gas torch on mine and it worked well instead of a heat gun) try punching it out with a heavy fabricators hammer, if you cant punch it out then try pressing it out ( sometimes even a workbench vise does the trick if you dont have an actual press). If none of these things work for ya then dremel to your hearts content

ar15barrels
10-15-2007, 12:33 PM
All you need is the right tool...

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/pin-popper3.jpg

:cool2:

Stags are the hardest to remove of ALL the manufacturers.
Also beware that Stag's pins are installed backwards of everyone else.

AJAX22
10-15-2007, 2:45 PM
Truly, Do NOT use a dremmel to cut off the FSB.. I bought my A2 barrel cheap without knowing that the previous owner had gotten a bit frisky with a cutoff wheel doing exactly what you are describing. If it hadn't been for randal, I'd have had to walk away from it. (thanks again BTW, she's a great shooter)

Buy the right tool its cheaper than a new barrel, I don't think Randal wants to spend his evenings fixing other peoples screwups when he could be spending the same time building high end target uppers and making substantially more money.

I do love the look of that turned down barrel inside a flash hider... its making me stare long and hard at my M4gery project

justinLB
10-15-2007, 9:26 PM
I let me father handle it, he works at northrop grumman and does this sort of thing day in and out. He had both of them out in 20 minutes. Thanks for the help and suggestions.