PDA

View Full Version : Can you replace an "unsafe handgun"?

MudCamper
10-13-2007, 5:01 PM
I have wondered this before about the "safe" roster, but now that the microstamping insanity has passed, I really want to know. If you own handguns that are not on the "safe" list (soon all guns) and they are stolen or destroyed (for example in a house fire) can you legally replace them? And I don't mean hunt for them used at 3 times their value. I mean can you order brand new replacements?

CSDGuy
10-13-2007, 5:03 PM
As long as the fees are paid to keep the CURRENT guns on the roster...

MudCamper
10-13-2007, 5:05 PM
No. I mean guns that are not on the roster.

CSDGuy
10-13-2007, 5:06 PM
Sure. Same way they are now... PPT.

MudCamper
10-13-2007, 5:13 PM
Sure. Same way they are now... PPT.

Let me quote myself on this:

And I don't mean hunt for them used at 3 times their value. I mean can you order brand new replacements?

CSDGuy
10-13-2007, 5:43 PM
You could order replacements exactly the same way you can now... You'll have to get them through PPT or find a way to transfer them in from out of state and have them NOT be subject to the "not unsafe" list...

In other words... Same way they are now.

guimus
10-13-2007, 5:48 PM
no. You lose an AW or an Off-list handgun, there's no special recourse. Repair is a different issue, and that can usually be arranged.

Calguns2000
10-13-2007, 10:06 PM
If you are really concerned about this, it might be worth purchasing a spare or two.

bwiese
10-13-2007, 10:21 PM
I think some mfgrs will redo a frame with same serial number and destroy your old broken/damaged frame.

MudCamper
10-14-2007, 10:59 AM
If you are really concerned about this, it might be worth purchasing a spare or two

That was what I was thinking.

I think some mfgrs will redo a frame with same serial number and destroy your old broken/damaged frame.

This I wondered about. If you could send a melted hunk of garbage back to the manufacturer and get a replacement then there's nothing to worry about. I guess it would depend on the various manufacturers...