OTHER GUN-RELATED BILLS ON GOVERNOR'S DESK:

As of 4:15 PM 10/13/2007, no action yet taken on:

AB 1645 KATRINA PROTECTIONS (La Malfa)
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2007&summary=ab1645

For the latest information, stay tuned to
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml

WokMaster1
10-13-2007, 4:00 PM
Mike, what's the NRA's next move? Please advise.

mikehaas
10-13-2007, 4:21 PM
No question, right now...
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2007&summary=ab1645

As hard as it might be, try to remember that expressing your anger about AB 1471 and AB 821 while lobbying *FOR* AB 1645 is counter productive.

Steady folks,

Mike

MrTuffPaws
10-13-2007, 4:42 PM
Honestly. Is anyone really surprised.

Can'thavenuthingood
10-13-2007, 4:46 PM
Does anyone know what the tally's were on calls and faxes?
Opposed and for AB 1471?

What did the Governor look at?
What decided it for him?
Was he predisposed to sign this bill?
Was it part of a future deal?

This is going to ripple right across the nation.

Vick

Bruce
10-13-2007, 6:31 PM

They'll ask us for more money so they can get "important" bills passed like letting magazine writers import unlisted handguns for testing. :rolleyes:

bwiese
10-13-2007, 6:40 PM
They'll ask us for more money so they can get "important" bills passed like letting magazine writers import unlisted handguns for testing. :rolleyes:

Who says you're not a writer?
Who says a Calguns review doesn't fall into a publishing category?
:-)

Don't discount the benefits of laws like this. <bseg>

NRA can only do so much without everyone's participation. I've received several comments that it seems folks this year didn't appear as 'connected' to issues as last year's, which was in part driven by atttempted DOJ regulatory redefinition.

milsurpshooter
10-13-2007, 6:50 PM
time for REVOLUTION? the chair is against the wall!!!!!

magsnubby
10-13-2007, 6:54 PM
Why is anyone surprised? He's always been a RINO.

chris
10-13-2007, 7:11 PM
time for REVOLUTION? the chair is against the wall!!!!!

it sure as hell is!!!

john has a long mustache. john has a long mustache!!!!

ke6guj
10-13-2007, 7:12 PM
Who says you're not a writer?
Who says a Calguns review doesn't fall into a publishing category?
:-)

Don't discount the benefits of laws like this. <bseg>
:D
Yup, is writer defined in the regs? I wrote a article that got published once. That shoud qualify.. once a writer, always a writer .. right?:D

Too bad you have to return it to the manu within 45 days.

gbran
10-13-2007, 7:25 PM
I'm anxious to hear reaction from the mfg's and all the gun magazines. Now it's real.

eydaimon
10-13-2007, 8:07 PM
I've been mulling this over.
Anyone with legal experience please let me know how far out this is...

As a governor, congressman or whatever, you take an oath of office to uphold the constitution. If you take an oath in court, and you are caught lying, this is perjury. Is the oath of office extempt from purjory? I don't see why it would be since it's using the same legal system.

I'll go straight to the point here...

Can we sue Arnold for comitting purjory?

I think it's time we start holding our politicians PERSONALLY liable for what they do in office.

ibanezfoo
10-13-2007, 8:21 PM
Well, we booted out one governor, anyone up for two?

-Bryan

AresXD40
10-13-2007, 8:22 PM
Another reason supporting my move to North Carolina in May. I will miss you California for your weather and my family, however I can buy plane tickets to visit.

berto
10-13-2007, 8:34 PM
Does anyone know what the tally's were on calls and faxes?
Opposed and for AB 1471?

What did the Governor look at?
What decided it for him?
Was he predisposed to sign this bill?
Was it part of a future deal?

This is going to ripple right across the nation.

Vick

Tallies are part of the decision, maybe.
He said it will help fight crime and that's a good enough reason for him to sign whether it's true or not. Signing gives him cover from the antis when he runs for the senate and he'd rather tack to the middle over our interests and hope it pulls more votes from the center and left than he loses from the right. He can take us for granted because it's part of the game. He gives us the same choice we face in every republican primary: vote for an electable candidate with a chance or vote your conscience and likely go down in flames.

WokMaster1
10-13-2007, 9:22 PM
Another reason supporting my move to North Carolina in May. I will miss you California for your weather and my family, however I can buy plane tickets to visit.

I will pay for your one way ticket First Class via Greyhound.....:p

RANGER295
10-13-2007, 9:37 PM
I am beyond words… at least constructive words.:mad:

Stuka
10-13-2007, 9:56 PM
Does anybody know what areas are to have lead ammo banned? This pretty much will kill hunting in these areas, as to my knowledge, non-lead ammo is pretty much non-existent. And makes it for anybody with an older rifle (mosins for instance) useless for hunting :(

KenpoProfessor
10-14-2007, 2:09 AM

As a governor, congressman or whatever, you take an oath of office to uphold the constitution. If you take an oath in court, and you are caught lying, this is perjury. Is the oath of office extempt from purjory? I don't see why it would be since it's using the same legal system.

I think it's time we start holding our politicians PERSONALLY liable for what they do in office.

What, like this was ALL Arnold's fault? The whole damn lot of politicians that voted for these POS bills in the house, Senate, and Governor should be tried and convicted for treason.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Crazed_SS
10-14-2007, 3:45 AM

"Committing Perjury"
If you're going to accuse someone of something, at least know how to spell it.

Anyway, it's too idealistic.. I doubt such a suit would work.

KenpoProfessor
10-14-2007, 3:51 AM
"Committing Perjury"
If you're going to accuse someone of something, at least know how to spell it.

Anyway, it's too idealistic.. I doubt such a suit would work.

Will you ever say "Wow, I think that might be a good idea" instead of your constant pessimism?

Tell me, what are your ideas to combat this, or are you gonna lay down and subjugate yourself to your royal masters? In the words of Mel Gibson in Braveheart, "Slaves are made in such ways"!!!!!!

Clyde

Crazed_SS
10-14-2007, 4:05 AM
Will you ever say "Wow, I think that might be a good idea" instead of your constant pessimism?

Tell me, what are your ideas to combat this, or are you gonna lay down and subjugate yourself to your royal masters?

Clyde

Sorry, but It's not a good idea (IMO).. I dont have any "royal masters" and I havent subjugated myself to anyone. Arnold is the governor. He was elected by the people of California.

Anyway.. I dont think I'm a pessimist. I simply like to look at things from the other side of the fence so that I can see any holes in an argument. As soon as you start believing your own hype and drinking your own kool-aid is when stuff like this gets passed. If you cant examine an issue objectively, you will be doomed to failure.

My idea to combat this would be to go after the entire safe pistol program. I would argue that the entire program is a waste of time, money, and resources and hasnt been proven to make anyone any safer. It's been around for a number of years now and I think an argument can be made that it's just a bunch of gov't red tape that wastes tax payer money.

Dismantle the entire program and we wouldnt have to worry about microstamping, chamber loaded indicators, magazine disconnect safeties, etc.

KenpoProfessor
10-14-2007, 4:09 AM
Sorry, but It's not a good idea (IMO).. I dont have any "royal masters" and I havent subjugated myself to anyone. Arnold is the governor. He was elected by the people of California.

Anyway.. I dont think I'm a pessimist. I simply like to look at things from the other side of the fence so that I can see any holes in an argument. As soon as you start believing your own hype and drinking your own kool-aid is when stuff like this gets passed. If you cant examine an issue objectively, you will be doomed to failure.

My idea to combat this would be to go after the entire safe pistol program. I would argue that the entire program is a waste of time, money, and resources and hasnt been proven to make anyone any safer. It's been around for a number of years now and I think an argument can be made that it's just a bunch of gov't red tape that wastes tax payer money.

Dismantle the entire program and we wouldnt have to worry about microstamping, chamber loaded indicators, magazine disconnect safeties, etc.

Be kind of hard to prove a negative here. How many lives were saved because of mag disconnects, safeties, loaded chamber indicators, etc.? Problem is, you can't get evidence to support the claim that it's not actually working.

I'm with you on attack the whole "safe list", but you've got to show tangible, concrete evidence that it's had little to no effect. Can you do that?

See, I play Devil's Advocate as well with the critical thinking.

Clyde

Crazed_SS
10-14-2007, 4:14 AM
Now we're talking... I'm gonna start researching. :)

KenpoProfessor
10-14-2007, 4:19 AM
Now we're talking... I'm gonna start researching. :)

Wow, finally got thru to you :D. I can't wait to see what you come up with, it might even surprise me :eek:.

Clyde

eydaimon
10-14-2007, 8:38 AM
What, like this was ALL Arnold's fault? The whole damn lot of politicians that voted for these POS bills in the house, Senate, and Governor should be tried and convicted for treason.

Clyde

A lawsuit doesn't need to cover one person. ALL politicians need to be held responsibile. And I'm not just talking about 2A laws. ANY unconstitutional CRAP we have to put up with, ANYTHING violating the bill of rights. :mad:

Miltiades
10-14-2007, 8:49 AM
I did a search on the Brownells website for "firing pin" and got 453 hits. They sell them for every conceivable make and model of gun.

Brownells firing pins for sale (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/catsearch.aspx?k=firing+pin&ps=10&si=True)

-hanko
10-14-2007, 8:51 AM
Why is anyone surprised? He's always been a RINO.
Apparently also somewhat of a spineless rino.

-hanko

Miltiades
10-14-2007, 8:57 AM
This law will probably increase the sales of these in CA:

Barnes copper bullet website (http://www.barnesbullets.com/)

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/mrxbullets.jpg

I wonder if Arnold bought stock in Barnes before signing the bill?

eydaimon
10-14-2007, 9:02 AM
I did a search on the Brownells website for "firing pin" and got 453 hits. They sell them for every conceivable make and model of gun.

Brownells firing pins for sale (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/catsearch.aspx?k=firing+pin&ps=10&si=True)

yeah, but making it illegal to tamper with firing pins will STOP ALL criminals.
So we're safe anyway :p

1919_4_ME
10-14-2007, 9:10 AM
I knew all along that the **** was going to sign it thats why I'm not surprised.:sleeping:

Piper
10-14-2007, 9:10 AM
I think an arguement against the "safe gun" list can be made. First how many other states have this kind of bogus list? Probably NONE! Second, how many of the guns not on the list have caused injury because it was defective? Probably very few, if any. What makes a gun safe by California standards that education and training would also solve? How many of the guns on the "safe list" caused injuries due to incompetance and unsafe handling practices? I can think of one just off the top of my head.

There are so many questions that can be asked in regards to this list that's nothing more than a revenue generator. Alot of the firearms that manufacturers make aren't on the list because the manufacturers won't play the game with all of their products. California governments need to reap the wrath of the unintended consequences that come with this kind of outrageous behavior. I would think that manufacturers would take a stand and simply refuse to ship anymore firearms to government agencies or repair them. Further, any contracts that manufacturers have with government agencies in California should be allowed to expire and not renewed. If California thinks that they can manufacture their own guns, let them try. But I think that anyone who manufactures or repairs firearms needs to take a stand or it will continue to get worse.

duenor
10-14-2007, 9:18 AM
I'm getting very very sick of constantly being told, "buy it now or next year you won't be able to". My credit card company loves it, but I am just sick, sick, sick of it.

Piper
10-14-2007, 10:28 AM
I think from this point forward, I'll just concentrate my efforts on getting out of this idotic state. As for "all" of the great things that California has, I can get them in the free Republic of the United States. I may have to drive or fly farther, but that's why vacation time exists. Now let's see, skiing in Colorado, beaches in Florida or the Carolinas, fall in New England and Christmas in Vermont. Yeah, I like the sound of that. Screw California! Who needs it.

9mmdude
10-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Yaaa I'm beginning to wonder about the great things California has:

mk19
10-14-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm pissed. the first thing that came to my mind was " ****ing whores" well the american sheeple is going to lay down and take this kind of abuse?

Experimentalist
10-14-2007, 10:50 AM
(Edit) - I simply like to look at things from the other side of the fence so that I can see any holes in an argument. As soon as you start believing your own hype and drinking your own kool-aid is when stuff like this gets passed. If you cant examine an issue objectively, you will be doomed to failure.

(More edit)

... Dismantle the entire program and we wouldnt have to worry about microstamping, chamber loaded indicators, magazine disconnect safeties, etc.

One of the best statements I've read in this thread.

I understand and share in people's anger, sense of betrayal, and fear over the uncertainty this introduces to the future of our hobby. If you want to vent, fine. It's healthy. But don't knock down someone who is actually being constructive.

magsnubby
10-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, we booted out one governor, anyone up for two?

-Bryan

And put a real Republican in office. Not a RINO wannabe Kennedy.

bwiese
10-14-2007, 12:03 PM
And put a real Republican in office. Not a RINO wannabe Kennedy.

Maybe we should put a pro-gun democrat in - as Republicans can't seem to manage to keep religion out of office (or at least are very poor at refuting that common belief) and that in essence renders them unelectable to statewide office.

If we can disconnect 'guns' from perception of 'right wing' we'll do far better in CA, regardless of our beliefs.

LAK Supply
10-14-2007, 12:04 PM
BINGO! California used to be the place to be with regards to opportunity and lifestyle, but now it's just a cesspool moving towards a statist-communist philosophy. Too many people, too many taxes, too many laws, property is expensive, most middle-class jobs are no longer keeping pace with the cost of living......

Too many negatives now..... it's just not worth it anymore.

I think from this point forward, I'll just concentrate my efforts on getting out of this idotic state. As for "all" of the great things that California has, I can get them in the free Republic of the United States. I may have to drive or fly farther, but that's why vacation time exists. Now let's see, skiing in Colorado, beaches in Florida or the Carolinas, fall in New England and Christmas in Vermont. Yeah, I like the sound of that. Screw California! Who needs it.

magsnubby
10-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Maybe we should put a pro-gun democrat in - as Republicans can't seem to manage to keep religion out of office (or at least are very poor at refuting that common belief) and that in essence renders them unelectable to statewide office.

If we can disconnect 'guns' from perception of 'right wing' we'll do far better in CA, regardless of our beliefs.

I'm up for that. I hate partisan politics. I've been a registered Republican since i voted in my first election in 1972. I've never voted strictly party lines. I vote for the best candidate.

Miltiades
10-14-2007, 12:48 PM
yeah, but making it illegal to tamper with firing pins will STOP ALL criminals.

I read this new law, and didn't see anything that prohibits replacement of parts on a gun that you own. The law mandates which guns can be sold by CA gun dealers. Even if a "firing pin no tamper" law were passed, the DOJ can't afford an army of firing pin police armed with microscopes and search warrants to constantly inspect the 10 million or so semiauto handguns in the state.

I think the primary purpose of this law is so certain politicians can pose as "tough on crime".

metalhead357
10-14-2007, 12:54 PM
I dont think I've ever been sooooooooooooooo freaking close to packing up and leaving this godforsaken state; Always bashed on those who did as they were selling us all out............... but Somebody wanna argue how we ALL wern't just sold out??????????????

Whats the price for a home in Reno these days?:mad:

Rob P.
10-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Don't you guys understand what really happened? It's actually a benefit for us ifyou think about it in Heller terms.

Heller won in DC because their ban on functional firearms results in a complete ban on all firearms. California's Microstamping bill is a defacto Heller ban if no mfg will modify their firearms to include the microstamping gizmotech and therefore will not ship/sell to Californians. So, we NEED to get on the horn and talk to the mfg's and tell them WE DON'T WANT THEM TO INSTALL THE MICROSTAMPING STUFF.

IF Heller is sucessfully upheld then we have even more support behind this line of strategy. And we can springboard from this issue to other firearms issues like CCWand shall issue.

Pvt. Cowboy
10-14-2007, 1:00 PM
Well, at least you can thank your lucky stars that the governator vetoed SB-1 'The California Dream Act' which would have increased DROS fees to extend college financial aid to illegal immigrants

I'm actually surprised that wasn't signed even though it's passed two years in a row.

zenthemighty
10-14-2007, 3:39 PM
I've received several comments that it seems folks this year didn't appear as 'connected' to issues as last year's, which was in part driven by atttempted DOJ regulatory redefinition.

I think a greater part of it is always being on the defensive. That really wears down people, so yes participation is going to drop.

eydaimon
10-14-2007, 3:39 PM
I read this new law, and didn't see anything that prohibits replacement of parts on a gun that you own.

I was being sarcastic. But it's guaranteed that that will be the next step.

eydaimon
10-14-2007, 3:40 PM
Don't you guys understand what really happened? It's actually a benefit for us ifyou think about it in Heller terms.

Heller won in DC because their ban on functional firearms results in a complete ban on all firearms. California's Microstamping bill is a defacto Heller ban if no mfg will modify their firearms to include the microstamping gizmotech and therefore will not ship/sell to Californians. So, we NEED to get on the horn and talk to the mfg's and tell them WE DON'T WANT THEM TO INSTALL THE MICROSTAMPING STUFF.

IF Heller is sucessfully upheld then we have even more support behind this line of strategy. And we can springboard from this issue to other firearms issues like CCWand shall issue.

very interesting point. thanks for sharing that.

hoffmang
10-14-2007, 3:44 PM
I also want to echo Rob P. The less new guns that come onto the safe list, the easier it is to prove that the safe handgun law is really a defacto ban that will conflict with the like;y Heller/Paker decision.

-Gene

MrLogan
10-14-2007, 3:56 PM
Let's get the ball rolling on a recall!

Trader Jack
10-14-2007, 4:00 PM
Let's get the ball rolling on a recall!

Recall Who?:mad:

hoozaru
10-14-2007, 4:01 PM
Mr. Governor, I grew up watching you in the movies with guns of all calibers, were they microstamped?

magsnubby
10-14-2007, 5:09 PM
Well, at least you can thank your lucky stars that the governator vetoed SB-1 'The California Dream Act' which would have increased DROS fees to extend college financial aid to illegal immigrants

That's exactly what he wants people to think. Make no mistake about it, he's a skilled politician. He's had the best coaches. He's skillfully learned how to play both sides of the fence and still come out looking like your best friend.

Bupkus
10-14-2007, 6:44 PM
With the lead ban, I wonder if you'll be able to use steel core surplus ammo for hunting, the kind they won't let you use at several different ranges. Bupkus.

Charliegone
10-14-2007, 6:55 PM

I'd vote for Joe Baca if he ran (no not the Sheriff the representative).

eydaimon
10-14-2007, 7:02 PM
i'd vote for a gun loving dem that actually would stand up for our rights

I don't know of any socialist country that allows guns, and the dems are just that, socialists.

Of course, there are gun loving dems, but in the end, I would think a gun loving libertarian/classic republican is better.

ibanezfoo
10-14-2007, 7:57 PM
Mr. Governor, I grew up watching you in the movies with guns of all calibers, were they microstamped?

I was just thinking that same thing when I was watching Terminator 2 and he was standing in a window with an electric mini gun shooting up the cops.

-Bryan

ke6guj
10-14-2007, 11:54 PM
I'd vote for Joe Baca if he ran (no not the Sheriff the representative).

Yup, AFAIK, Joe Baca Sr. has voted pro-gun much of the time. There have been a few times that he has voted wrong, but thats been rare.

PistolPete75
10-15-2007, 10:46 AM
rule of thumb for the wise, buy your guns now before it's illegal to buy more guns.

mikehaas
10-22-2007, 7:12 PM
i wonder if this will open up the market on aftermaket "Ca-Friendly" firing pins, lol
Remember, it is a federal felony to remove/alter serialized information from a firearm. To my knowledge, a gunsmith can't replace your firing pin/bolt (assuming those are the stamping elements) without committing a felony, since he can't serialize a new pin/bolt for you.

In fact, a gunsmith can't even TELL your firing pin from another, so better not get 'em mixed up!

And if someone DID mix 'em up, you've got the incorrectly stamped information coming out of 2 guns. And what about reloads? And not even by private individuals - there are companies that reload once-fired brass and AB 1471 doesn't do anything about that. Any of these scenarios results in AT LEAST conflicting stamped numbers, if not compatible but wrong numbers being imprinted on every case.

So how this is supposed to help law enforcement if you can't establish a chain of evidence?

And - if I were a bad guy, I would hang around a public range where cops practice (I know several) and grab a handful of left behind, fired brass. Then I'd just sprinkle them around the scene of my gang's next drive-by and watch the fun.

Then you find out how much this really "helps" law enforcement. What a girly governor.

Mike

Prc329
10-22-2007, 7:14 PM
According to the way the law it written, it would not be a crime.

Prc329
10-22-2007, 7:19 PM
N/M, gotta read it again. I could swear the law said it would not be a illegal to replace a broken part.

Librarian
10-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Remember, it is a federal felony to remove/alter serialized information from a firearm. To my knowledge, a gunsmith can't replace your firing pin/bolt (assuming those are the stamping elements) without committing a felony, since he can't serialize a new pin/bolt for you.
But not -this- serialization: (7) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that
are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 12131, it
is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters
that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol,
etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior
surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are
transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is
fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the
technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one
manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions. The Attorney
General may also approve a method of equal or greater reliability and
effectiveness in identifying the specific serial number of a firearm
from spent cartridge casings discharged by that firearm than that
which is set forth in this paragraph, to be thereafter required as
otherwise set forth by this paragraph where the Attorney General
certifies that this new method is also unencumbered by any patent
restrictions. Approval by the Attorney General shall include notice
of that fact via regulations adopted by the Attorney General for
purposes of implementing that method for purposes of this paragraph.
The microscopic array of characters required by this section shall not be considered the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, within the meaning of Sections 12090 and 12094.

12090. Any person who changes, alters, removes or obliterates the
name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of
identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned
by the Department of Justice on any pistol, revolver, or any other
firearm, without first having secured written permission from the
department to make such change, alteration or removal shall be
punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

12094. (a) Any person with knowledge of any change, alteration,
removal, or obliteration described herein, who buys, receives,
disposes of, sells, offers for sale, or has in his or her possession
any pistol, revolver, or other firearm which has had the name of the
maker, model, or the manufacturer's number or other mark of
identification including any distinguishing number or mark assigned
by the Department of Justice changed, altered, removed, or
obliterated is guilty of a misdemeanor.This isn't the federal serial number of 18 USC 922(k) or 18 USC 923(i) (k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

(i) Licensed importers and licensed manufacturers shall identify by means of a serial number engraved or cast on the receiver or frame of the weapon, in such manner as the Attorney General shall by regulations prescribe, each firearm imported or manufactured by such importer or manufacturer.

That doesn't make this law any more sensible, of course. It's just not overtly insane on this one tiny point.

bwiese
10-23-2007, 1:55 AM
This, along with the whole surrounding safe/approved handgun Rostering law, has real Federal problems with warranty replacement parts monopoly (Berkey v. Kodak, Magnussen-Moss, etc.)

It appears the safe handgun laws have created a monopoly on replacement parts in order for the gun to stay as approved for future regular (re)sale (non-PPT) thru a CA gun dealer.

For example, putting an equivalent-quality, equivalent-material, equivalent-function Colt hammer or trigger on a ParaOrdnance 1911 voids its approved status. Putting a KKM or Bar-Sto barrel on an approved Gen3 Glock also renders it into non-approved/non-Rostered status.

If gun manufacturers created an environment where only their parts could work or effect the marketplace/distribution enough that only factory parts were available or usable, the Feds would be all over their arse.

As far as S/N change issues: if the frame/receiver has an S/N that's unmolested, that's good enough. Many guns have slides that also have S/Ns on them and it's entirely legal to swap out that slide or refinish the slide so that those markings disappear. The proposed CA crap is supplemental as far as Federal matters go.