PDA

View Full Version : How much time left?

InfamousLegend
03-07-2013, 8:58 PM
With the political climit where it's at my brother convinced me to look into an AR-15. I've decided upon the DDM4v5 but I'm worried laws might prevent the sale of such firearms before I could save enough money working minimum wage.

I'm in a situation where purchasing this rifle is feasible provided the powers that be don't move quicker than I can. When could a bill pass, and how much time would it give me?

Cypriss32
03-07-2013, 8:59 PM
2 weeks!

InfamousLegend
03-07-2013, 9:01 PM
2 weeks!

I see your two weeks and raise you one month.

I'm more concerned with dates of enactment, such as Jerry Browns open carry bill that didn't take affect till Jan 1st on the next year, would an "Assault Weapons" ban work the same way?

Jackson_DKMG
03-07-2013, 9:03 PM
your best bet is to get an AR in the marketplace. I wouldn't hold out for a specific brand right now.

I believe you have til about mid April

InfamousLegend
03-07-2013, 9:07 PM
Is Mid April an honest estimate, and if so what kind of laws are being reviewed by California? Would such laws also have a delay before going into affect like the Open Carry ban?

Lone_Gunman
03-07-2013, 9:13 PM
:twoweeks:

InfamousLegend
03-07-2013, 9:18 PM
I need to visit more because it took way to long for that joke to click.

digdug74
03-07-2013, 9:19 PM
Nice to hear you've decided to purchase a Daniel Defense AR15. They are very fine rifles.

Please let me know when you locate one for less than it's weight in gold.

Dhena81
03-07-2013, 9:20 PM
All common use weapons will be banned. Buy a lower if your really worried I saw one guy selling an 80% for 1300 a couple of days ago that's a great deal I was surprised by all the btt.

Sent from a flip phone

troysland
03-07-2013, 9:23 PM
I wouldn't recommend it unless it was an emergency....and it seems we're headed closer to emergency status every day. How good is your credit? Debt is a horrible thing, but losing a right.....(enter punchline here).

JMP
03-07-2013, 9:25 PM
Get it before the end of the year when AB809 requires registration. If bills escalate, then reconsider.

Federalist
03-07-2013, 9:36 PM
I strongly recommend that you don't spend more than you can afford.

Pay attention to this site and the news to keep up to date on the latest insanity in Sacramento and DC. If you really believe that a law is imminent, and you have not saved up enough money for the gun you want, then buy a stripped lower first. That is the "firearm" part. The rest of the parts are just parts, and you should be able to buy the lower parts and the upper receiver group afterwards - when you save enough money.

Be smart right now. Prices are high during the current panic. If you can wait, many people believe that prices will come down sometime in the future.

luckystrike
03-07-2013, 9:49 PM
you are not going to find a DDM4 within a couple of months, if you do it will be approaching 3K. buy a lower now, and build what you can when you can. mags+ammo are going to be a whole different ballgame . some people are buying .223 for over 1$ a pop. I would just get a few mags together and an ammo can worth of rounds as I was building the rifle. Sorry but you picked a hell of a time to get into the AR scene, stuff is out there but you will be paying quite a bit more.

InfamousLegend
03-07-2013, 9:54 PM
I think building my own would make more sense, as purchasing a lower would put me in a position to build as my finances see fit. Now it's just a matter of finding a lower to fit my needs. I'll be looking online for stripped lowers.

Warhawk014
03-07-2013, 10:01 PM
I think building my own would make more sense, as purchasing a lower would put me in a position to build as my finances see fit. Now it's just a matter of finding a lower to fit my needs. I'll be looking online for stripped lowers.

A lower is a lower. From any reputable company you will not go wrong. Now if you want one of the fancy billet lowers then you might be hard pressed to find one. Get the lower first. Its the most important part of all. If legislation passes the price of lowers will reach orbit. Then you will really be out of luck. Uppers come and go. You can Work on that later.

InfamousLegend
03-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Could you recommend a reputable lower company, I've heard of Mega but I don't know of anything else that would be considered reputable.

MQUnlimited
03-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Could you recommend a reputable lower company, I've heard of Mega but I don't know of anything else that would be considered reputable.

- Spikes
- Stag
- Frontier
- Mega
- JD Machine
- DPMS
- LRWC
- Phase 5

anyone out there really...they all do the same, some differ in appearance just slightly. There are some lowers I've seen going for $150ish range. Others are high on bath salts trying to sell $250 80% in stock lowers.

E92335i
03-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Get yourself an AK after the AR.

Hoopty
03-08-2013, 9:07 AM
I picked up a JD Machine a couple weeks ago for about 180.00. Just gotta keep looking..

blkA4alb
03-08-2013, 9:37 AM
2 weeks!

:D:D

Ahh..those were the days huh? (Not really.)

Justintoxicated
03-08-2013, 11:06 AM

good choice, buy a stripped lower, then wait till the craze is over, there will b e an abundance or parts eventually.

The list above is good, I would also add TM Tatical Machine as being reputable and on the cheaper side.

Sundowner
03-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Other reputable lowers from:
Bravo Company
Lauer Weaponry
LMT
Rock River Arms

Cactus_Tim
03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Aero Precision makes a good lower too.

B!ngo
03-08-2013, 2:23 PM
So, just a small detour for this thread. I've just been trying to play a bit of 'end-game chess' and would like advice on the probable outcome.
So, in 2,4,8 weeks or whenever, here in CA, what is likely to happen?
The restrictions on semi-auto long firearms will increase to require locked/non-replaceable mags? No semi-auto long firearms at all (how will this be defined)?
What will be the general wording of the restriction?
What will be the utility/restriction on those who currently have them? Will they have to be sold out of state? Turned in to the LEO's?
I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping mine, or should I sell them off and replace them with bolt guns?
It's pretty sad, but might as well face the reality and deal with it (for me at least).
B

someR1
03-08-2013, 2:35 PM
no one knows when "assault weapons" will be banned in CA. But with all the current bills on the table, it's a scary thing. I would guess that all ARs and AKs would have to be registered as assault weapons by Jan 1st, 2014 .

If I were you, I would build an AR using an 80%. You can also find a PSA upper for about $400, and BCG for about $250, and then you can add all the fixin's your little heart desires ;)

Munny$hot
03-08-2013, 3:00 PM
I use to say buy a lower and mags, but with the way things are going now bullets and components are all on the list of being banned or taxed the crap out of. The best suggestion is to buy a lower, mags, write your representatives, join the NRA, talk to other like minded people and and them voice their opinion against making law abiding citizens into criminals, while doing nothing to stop criminals from committing crimes.

AeroEngi
03-08-2013, 3:41 PM
Get a lower receiver now so at least you have the "gun". Then when it's convenient for you, buy all the other parts and put it together yourself. The only thing they can ban are the lowers, not the upper and other parts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

popeye4
03-08-2013, 7:15 PM
Statutes passed this year don't take effect until Jan 1, 2014. As others have stated, get a lower and don't pay a stupid price for it. Lowers are parts cases with a serial number, nothing special about them as long as they are from one of the many reputable companies.

Enfield47
03-08-2013, 8:30 PM

See if you can order/find one locally. If you purchase one over the Internet you will have to have it shipped to an FFL and pay them for handling the transaction so it will most likely end up costing you more in the long run.

AeroEngi
03-08-2013, 9:00 PM
See if you can order/find one locally. If you purchase one over the Internet you will have to have it shipped to an FFL and pay them for handling the transaction so it will most likely end up costing you more in the long run.

Last time I was there, Turners was taking preorders for Palmetto State Armory lowers for $129.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mmrx2
03-08-2013, 9:40 PM
Just buy a few lowers.

ar15barrels
03-08-2013, 10:40 PM
I see your two weeks and raise you one month.

I'm sticking with 2 weeks.

:twoweeks:

JDay
03-09-2013, 1:24 AM
Are you over 21? If not you cannot buy just the lower.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Norcalkid
03-09-2013, 11:05 AM
If you are worried and don't have the money for the gun just go out and buy a lower. Then build when you get a better job.

lilro
03-09-2013, 11:19 AM

As long as it's a brand you've heard of (ask us if you're not sure), and it's not polymer, you should be good to go. They are all essentially the same. The BCG is where the big money should be focused.

InfamousLegend
03-09-2013, 8:22 PM
Since lowers are cheap I'm considering an AR10 lower as well. Once funds provide the means I'll focus on the AR15 lower and then the AR10 lower when I can find one. I've always been a huge fan of the .308 and that's what is driving me to also get an AR10 lower. I'm going to take it a step at a time, and my truck is demanding all my $$$ right now, but it is what it is.

I'll ask everyone here their opinions on parts for the future.

I already have my eyes set on a Timney trigger for both AR's and Noveske barrels. Beyond that I don't have much in the way of plans. I will probably keep the AR15 with good peep sights and the AR10 scoped.

If you look at the DDM4V5 and remove the forward grip but add permant iron sights and a grip that goes around the magwell, that is pretty much what I want for the AR15. Nothing special and very sleek, I don't need a bunch of addons.

Something aking to this:
http://762precision.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/ar-mwg-etc.jpg

My brother has one on his AR15 and it is very comfortable for me, where forward grips didn't do the trick.

Lone_Gunman
03-09-2013, 9:15 PM
Buy a Garand, if it was good enough to kill Nazis it will be just fine for your needs.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=209854&d=1362170348

iron cannon
03-09-2013, 9:29 PM
Buy a Garand, if it was good enough to kill Nazis it will be just fine for your needs.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=209854&d=1362170348

Those look nice , what grade are they?
Hows the availability of 30-06 now?

Lone_Gunman
03-09-2013, 9:40 PM
Those look nice , what grade are they?
Hows the availability of 30-06 now?

Those are both service grade HRAs. You can get Greek surplus .30-06 through the CMP $98/200 rounds. You're limited to 2000 rounds (10 cans) per year though. I got those HRAs from the CMP last week, 60 days from the time I mailed my order to the time FedEx dropped them off at my door. One is for my dad for his 65th birthday, one for my son. I'm currently waiting on an HRA Service Grade Special for myself. It's been 22 days since I sent that order off.

calnhob
03-09-2013, 9:54 PM

Nice Garands! I've been wanting to get one. Pardon the ignorance but what is CMP and how much were they (can't see the tag in the pic)?

Lone_Gunman
03-09-2013, 9:57 PM
Nice Garands! I've been wanting to get one. Pardon the ignorance but what is CMP and how much were they (can't see the tag in the pic)?

$650 delivered to your door.

Read this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=667911

It should answer most, if not all of your questions.

http://www.odcmp.com/

Quoted from the CMP: (more info can be found here) http://www.odcmp.com/about_us.htm

" The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a national organization dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns through gun safety training, marksmanship training and competitions. The CMP is a federally chartered 501 (c) (3) corporation that places its highest priority on serving youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities that encourage personal growth and build life skills. Links on this page will lead you to more detailed information about the CMP and its programs.

HISTORY OF THE CMP. CMP history goes back to late 19th century efforts by U.S. military and political leaders to strengthen our country’s national defense capabilities by improving the rifle marksmanship skills of members of the Armed Forces. The CMP traces its direct lineage to 1903 when Congress and President Theodore Roosevelt established the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice (NBPRP) and the National Matches. From then until 1996, first the Department of War and later the Department of the Army managed the program that became known as the “civilian marksmanship program. During this period, program objectives shifted from military marksmanship to training civilians who might serve in the military to developing youth through marksmanship training. In 1996, Congress acted again to establish the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearm Safety that now governs the CMP.

CMP RIFLE SALES. The federal law that established the CMP authorizes it to sell surplus military .22 rimfire and .30 cal. rifles and ammunition to qualified U. S. citizens who are members of gun clubs affiliated with the CMP. All purchasers must provide proof of having received gun safety or marksmanship training and pass an FBI NICS check. The principal rifles sold through this program have been WWII era M1 Garand rifles and WWI era M1903 rifles. The law mandates that proceeds from these sales may be used only to support the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Each year since its establishment in 1996, the CMP has produced an excess of revenues over expenses to fund its firearm safety, marksmanship training and competition programs and an endowment that will support future programs. "

Also be sure to check out there sales Pages. http://www.thecmp.org/ They Sell M1 Carbines, M1 Garands, 1903's .22 rifles. Basically any surplus US military rifle. They also auction off rifles: http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/index.asp They also sale surplus and commercial ammo: http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

To qualify for the CMP its really easy.

Eligibility requirements: http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

" Proof of U.S. Citizenship:
You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

Proof of Age:
You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization:
You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.

Find a qualifying club near you! http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi

Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service.
- Current or past law enforcement service
- Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
- Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
- Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
- Concealed Carry License.
- Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
- FFL or C&R license.
- Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
- Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Be Legally Eligible to Purchase a Firearm:
The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.

Order Form and Purchaser Certification and Agreement:
Order forms and other required documents may be downloaded from http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf. For those customers who receive our hard-copy catalog, we recommend they make several copies of the blank form for use in placing future orders. Customers should complete both the Order Form and the Purchaser Certification and Agreement and sign it before a notary. Orders received without notarized signature will not be processed.

Repeat Customers:
In the summer of 2003, the CMP revised the purchase forms and streamlined procedures for repeat customers. If you complete a new Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement to buy a rifle from the CMP, signed before a Notary Public on or after July 1, 2003, you may for a period of three (3) years thereafter submit an application to purchase additional rifles, parts or ammunition without having the Purchaser Certification and Agreement notarized - provided that the “SHIP TO” address on the order form remains exactly the same.

Although for repeat orders you will not have to have the forms notarized, hard copy liability/order/certification forms – pages 1a,2a,and 3a – must still be completed and sent to the CMP with original (wet) signatures. These orders may not be faxed or emailed.

After three years a new notarized Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement will be required for any additional rifle purchase. Any change of address on the order form automatically will require a new notarized Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement.

Please note that this streamlined procedure is available only to customers who have completed a notarized “Universal” Purchaser Certification and Agreement. An application submitted on an earlier form (dated before summer 2003) will still be processed by CMP, but for that transaction only; it will not be accepted for repeat sales.

Proof of citizenship, age, CMP-affiliated club membership and competitive shooting participation, and any copy of any license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card required by your State or locality submitted with your initial “Universal” application will be kept on file by the CMP. If any item of proof above has expired, you must submit proof of current status with any subsequent application. "

The sales forms are at the top of the page: http://www.thecmp.org/formsindex.htm

Need any help or have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Also the CMP forums: http://forums.thecmp.org/

Edit: Orest, the CEO of the CMP has stated that the CA Handgus Saftey Cert, or HSC card qualifies as "marksmanship activity" as well so it's REALLY easy to qualify.

InfamousLegend
03-09-2013, 10:14 PM
An M1 Garand is one of the rifles I will purchase before I die, trust me, but an AR is in my sights first, even if it's just the stripped lowers for the time being. On top of the M1 Garand, a MkIII Browning Hi–Power and a .45ACP 1911 are in my sights.

I've only collected one "grail" gun so far, and that would be a S&W Model Pre–27 .357Mag, and for being made in 1953 she is a solid revolver. If I had $5,000 right now most of those would be in my possession right now including one completed AR.

calnhob
03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks Lone_gunman...this will be my read before going to sleep (no joke).

fmunk
03-09-2013, 11:36 PM
First, it's spelled climate. Second, lowers are cheap? nothing is cheap right now.

InfamousLegend
03-10-2013, 7:05 AM
First, it's spelled climate. Second, lowers are cheap? nothing is cheap right now.

MSRP isn't all that bad is what I meant, what you actually pay is different, but if you find one for MSRP you're not doing to bad.

Edit: I'm usually pretty anal about my own spelling, but typing on a phone is difficult enough that a few typos will get through, and I usually fix them when I do find them.

iron cannon
03-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Those are both service grade HRAs. You can get Greek surplus .30-06 through the CMP $98/200 rounds. You're limited to 2000 rounds (10 cans) per year though. I got those HRAs from the CMP last week, 60 days from the time I mailed my order to the time FedEx dropped them off at my door. One is for my dad for his 65th birthday, one for my son. I'm currently waiting on an HRA Service Grade Special for myself. It's been 22 days since I sent that order off.

i will be ordering soon for my wife and I . I did not expect them to look that good. Thanks

iron cannon
03-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Spelling police?

JDay
03-10-2013, 1:08 PM
2 minutes!

Dvrjon
03-10-2013, 2:11 PM
Statutes passed this year don't take effect until Jan 1, 2014..

Urgency legislation requires a two-thirds vote in both Houses, and becomes effective immediately following signature by the Governor, rather than on January 1, as is normally the case.

An Urgency measure, or bill, is deemed to affect the public peace, health, or safety and requiring a two-thirds vote for passage.

With the Dems super majority (over two-thirds) in both houses, they have the votes. The bill would have to go through various committees and survive floor votes before passage, but committee agendas are set by committee chairpersons (Dems) and floor votes are set by the Speaker (Dem) and Pres pro Tem (Dem).

These could be "fast-tracked for delivery to the Governor in June 2012. Veto by the Governor could be overridden by a two- thirds vote.

My best guess would be that the bills will go to conference committee in mid June during recess of the Legislature, then be brought back for finalization in August.

That would give the Dems the opportunity to pass a budget in Jun and then focus on gun control packages.

JR

JDay
03-10-2013, 6:51 PM
The Democrats don't currently have the votes to override a veto. In fact they lost their supermajority when that one guy resigned and took a job with big oil a few weeks ago.

benjamin101677
03-10-2013, 7:53 PM
Why is everybody going crazy and buying AR-15's and stuff. I know that we may loose our rights on some of these, but come on not everybody needs a AR-15

When I go to buy a gun I look at what I could use the gun for, then the price and stuff. I don't wanna spend a couple thousand on a rifle that will just go into the safe and not be used. Would rather buy a rifle, or handgun that I actually need or would use.

Rickrock1
03-10-2013, 8:36 PM
Get what need when you can for the best price including ammo.

Grnjeep1
03-10-2013, 8:54 PM
Why is everybody going crazy and buying AR-15's and stuff. I know that we may loose our rights on some of these, but come on not everybody needs a AR-15

When I go to buy a gun I look at what I could use the gun for, then the price and stuff. I don't wanna spend a couple thousand on a rifle that will just go into the safe and not be used. Would rather buy a rifle, or handgun that I actually need or would use.

Unless you are trolling, you may want to put on your flame suit. You just said one of the dumbest things you could say on a gun board.

Noble Cause
03-11-2013, 5:17 PM
benjamin101677 Quote: Why is everybody going crazy and buying AR-15's and stuff. I know that we may loose our rights on some of these, but come on not everybody needs a AR-15

Unless you are trolling, you may want to put on your flame suit. You just said one of the dumbest things you could say on a gun board.

This ^^^

Especially in light of recent events. benjamin101677 needs to reconsider his
post.

Noble

navin r
03-11-2013, 5:34 PM
Infamous; as others have said just shop around but buy at least one lower soon.
Imho the private firearms parts section of this forum is the best place to find a lower; just keep shopping around; a lot of people are still trying to get very high prices but everything except the top names is coming down.
Once you have the lower you can take your time and aquire the other parts. Watch the Deals section of this website; it seems some places like Palmetto are selling barreled uppers for less than some crazy private parties are asking here in Kali.
Once you have the lower you'll always be able to complete the gun and can take your time getting the rest.

KIMBER8400
03-11-2013, 7:43 PM
With the political climit where it's at my brother convinced me to look into an AR-15. I've decided upon the DDM4v5 but I'm worried laws might prevent the sale of such firearms before I could save enough money working minimum wage.

I'm in a situation where purchasing this rifle is feasible provided the powers that be don't move quicker than I can. When could a bill pass, and how much time would it give me?

There are several senate bills proposed, the one that I'm most concerned is the SB47. SB47 redefines what is a detachable magazine and basically bans all current semi-auto rifles.
Now if the bill passes as it is introduced, the language states that one would have until 12/31/13 to lawfully purchase semi-auto rifles. And all semi-auto rifles must be registered with the DOJ by 7/14.
So to answer your question how much time you have, take the worst case scenario and assume that the bill will be passed. Thus you have until 12/31/13 to at least acquire a lower receiver.

KIMBER8400
03-11-2013, 7:51 PM
The Democrats don't currently have the votes to override a veto. In fact they lost their supermajority when that one guy resigned and took a job with big oil a few weeks ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are referring to federal level are you not?
Personally, I am not really concerned about the fed's ban as far as the impact it will have on the state of CA because their proposals are already current law in CA.
I am more concerned about the libs in the state of CA.