PDA

View Full Version : I just got all the parts to buil my mk12

timcorexxx
03-07-2013, 7:06 PM
So I ordered all the exact parts from pri to guile a mk12 mod o. Just didn't have the barrel which is a Douglas 18in barrel and gonna get that hopefully in 5-6 weeks. I have a 18 in dpms mk12 barrel and ops inc muzzle brake for sale on eBay right now. I bought the ops inc muzzle brake on eBay for 145.00 and got the mk12 barrel from dpms but wanted the actual mk12 barrel from Douglas barrels. The dams mk12 barrel looks the same and looks like a very nice barrel and hard to come by. Waiting for the Douglas barrel and the dpms barrel was 200.00 and the Douglas barrel is 425.00. All the other parts are precision reflex so it will be the exact guns used in the military. All I need is a good descent scope for around 300.00. Does anyone know of a good scope for 300.00 or lower? Would appreciate any suggestions, thanks. I know I'm not gonna get a great scope for that price but just want one that works good on a 5.56 AR. Thank u

FMJBT
03-07-2013, 7:51 PM
So which barrel are you going to run, the DPMS, or wait for the Douglas? I would advise waiting for the Douglas, as the DPMS barrel is not properly contoured for use with the collar that comes with the Ops Inc. Brake. The brake will thread on just fine, but the collar will sit further back than spec and will not work with a 12th model suppressor. Of the top of my head, other barrels that will work with the Ops Inc. collar and brake are made by White Oak Armament, Rainier Arms, Centurion Arms, Bergara (sold through PRI) and a non chrome lined steel barrel sold by fulton Armory that uses a douglas blank. I'm sure I'm missing a few.

I've used the DPMS MK-12 barrel on an SPR build, and while not quite spec, it's still an excellent barrel. Easily a sub moa shooter with match ammo. My latest SPR build uses a Bergara barrel from PRI, and those are also excellent barrels. One thing I really like about it is that it doesn't shift zero even when hot, which is important for a rifle like the MK 12. Accuracy wise, it is also a great shooting barrel. Now that I've had a few hundred rounds through the gun, it pretty much throws everything into 1/2 to 3/4 moa.

As for optics in the sub $300 range, thats a tough call. I've had pretty good results running a Sightmark 2.5-10X32 Mil Dot on my DPMS barreled SPR. Those can be found for around $230.00 online. For the money, they have really good glass, and the reticle illumination is pretty nice as well. When illuminated, only the very center dot of the reticle lights up, so on 2.5X it can be used almost like a red dot for close range work. The turret adjustments are pretty solid, with well defined clicks and well over 100 moa of internal travel. My only issue with these scopes is their lack of parallax adjustment. I have noticed some parallax at 100 and 200 yards with mine, although at longer ranges it doesn't seem to be a problem. It might vary with individual scopes, but both of the ones I have seem to have their parralax set at around 400-600 yards.

sleepur606
03-07-2013, 8:37 PM
I would say to up the price point on your scope and look for a Viper PST. A scope similar to what the Mk12 uses, I think 3-9x, with a reticule on the second focal plane, you should be looking at $550-650 I think.

For the money, the Viper PST series are some of the best you can buy. Is there better glass? Yes, of course. NightForce, US Optics, Premier, all the stuff that has accessories that cost as much as the bargain brand scopes.

I ran a 4-16x Viper PST on my 18" SPR build and could easily see rounds impacting at 850+ yards. I couldn't hit a darn thing I was aiming at running 55 grain surplus in mid-range winds, but I could see the impacts.

G21Shooter
03-07-2013, 8:49 PM
Congrats!

Burris makes some very nice scopes in the $300 range.

Spearodude
03-07-2013, 11:26 PM
For a precision AR, at $300 it will be hard to beat the SWFA SS (super sniper) series of scopes. I have an older 10x and it is great, it is clearer than other scopes I've looked through that cost a lot more. It is a fixed power, which for me isn't a big deal. For all around usefulness I would get their 10x model, maybe the 12x. Check them out:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

In my opinion I wouldn't mess with a 300$ variable power scope, especially after owning the super sniper.

AeroEngi
03-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I also concur with the Vortex Viper PST. I'm in the process of waiting for parts for my SPR build and that's the scope I'm going to put on top of it, specifically the PST 4-16x50mm.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

apbrian112
03-08-2013, 1:48 AM
I really dig the Vortex PST's... my buddy just picked up a 2.5-10x and it's a pretty solid scope.
Running a fixed scope like the SS from SWFA is also an option, or you could run a bushnell elite 3200 10x for not a whole lot of money.
Don't forget about the mount which will run you a pretty penny depending on which one you choose. I personally dig the American Defense mounts.